Ares Games

Thread: Fokker DII and DIII

LOOP

Default Fokker DII and DIII

Do anyone know the servicetime of the Fokker DII and DIII?
    I have found some info on the DIII.: The first was delivered to the front in September -16 and that production ceased in the spring -17.
    Apearently thay used the DIII for homedefence under 1917 but not as a frontline fighter. I am trying to find out when it it was withdrawn from frontlineservice.
    On the DII I have not found anything more than that it was used during 1916.

some help please

/P-G

on the Fokker DIII I know that the Dutch purchased some from Germany, and these were in use in the Dutch air force until 1921 i think... not 100% sure on that one though just rings a bell from an article i read a while back , i also have read that Boelcke took a dislike to them and it was on his recommendation that they were withdrawn from front line service. i know the DII was unpopular pretty much straight from the off with French fighters being far superior from the word go and that the moment the Albatros was introduced it was withdrawn,...... sorry this isnt more accurate on anything but hope it helps a little bit. (although i doubt it )

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    ... I am trying to find out when it it was withdrawn from front line service.
    All I've found suggests that both types went out as the Albatros came in so from Aug/Sept 16 onwards; the stats shows the D.II as Q1-Q4 1916.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Here is a bit of what I found... the unofficial stats will give a better picture of the service times in and out.

In service, the D.II proved to be little better than the earlier Fokker Eindecker fighters - in particular, it was outclassed by the superior French Nieuport 11 and 17. Several Fokker D.IIs were used by the Kampfeinsitzerkommandos and the early Jagdstaffeln alongside the Halberstadt D.II but the early Fokker biplanes were quickly discarded when the new Albatros fighters came out.

Production of the D.II was slow. Fokker’s Schwerin factory was not really big enough to deal with all the orders that Fokker’s enthusiastic sales techniques were winning, and by the time the D.II appeared in sufficient numbers to enter service, it was already obsolescent. A few aircraft saw active service on quiet fronts, but most were used as training aircraft. One hundred and thirty two aircraft were ordered, but at best only half of this number were available at any one time and by September 1917 most were no longer in use.

I have several bits of information that support an Aug-Sep 1916 introduction to frontline use, and less certain information on when it was actually withdrawn front Western Front use. Apparently it was directed by Idfleig to be withdrawn in late Nov 1916 because of many problems linked directly to poor quality control at the Fokker factory.
    So, I have decided that for my gaming scenarios the Fokker DII and DIII are only in-use at the front from Sep-Dec 1916. Also, the much better better Albatros D.I and D.II (approx. 300 produced) and Halberstadt DII and DIII (approx. 100 produced) were in-service from Aug 1916 to approx April 1917; the Albatros D.III began replacing them in Dec 1916.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The Frontbestand figures for them definitely mean an August 1916 introduction - there were none on the books 30th June, and the prototype D.III was only tested in late July, but by 31st August there were 16 D.IIs and 7 D.IIIs with front line squadrons. Both types peak in the December 31st figures, with the D.III more or less disappearing by the end of February 1917 (just 7 left, and none in April, although a handful reappear later - presumably having been issued as non-combat aircraft to units expecting the Dr.I, so pilots could get used to a rotary engine.) For the D.II there were still 33 with squadrons at the end of April, 26 at the end of June, and 10 at the end of August 1917.

Unfortunately the figures are a catch-all for all operational squadrons, so don't distinguish between home defence and western front units, but based on the numbers I'd be inclined to guess at them probably still being at the front up to February 1917 and relegated to home use after that.

Wikipedia has short articles about the early Fokker biplane fighters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_D.II

Confusingly the Fokker D.I was a development of the D.II.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_D.I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_D.III

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_D.IV

Exclamation Kesta 4 Fokkers etc.

Here is a nice original pic of Kesta 4 at Freiburg probably mid to late 1916 with a mixed bag of a Fok E.IV, D.II's, D.III's & a lone Halberstadt D.II.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Kesta 4 Fok D11's & D.III's.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	165878

LOOP

I need a german fighter from the first half of 1916 other than an eindecker. I was hoping the DII would fit nicely. But it seems to be a bit late

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'll double check when I get home, but I'm not sure there's any strong candidate - the early German fighter arm *was* Eindekkers - I'm not sure any of the biplane fighters entered service before the summer of '16.

LOOP

That is what I have always heard. But when the Stats showed the DII as 16Q1-Q4 I got my hopes up. (Always been a sucker for biplanes )

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Have just had a double check, and in the first half of 1916 only a handful of Halberstadt D types were in service - a single Halberstadt D.III prototype was on the books at the end of February, no biplane fighters whatsoever at the end of April, and 6 Halberstadt D.IIs and 2 Halberstadt D.IIIs at the end of June. By the end of August there were a couple of dozen Halberstadts and the first few dozen Fokker D types, plus a single prototype each of the Albatros D.I and D.II. (There were still 2 Eindekkers for every biplane fighter though.) By the end of October it's all change though - in that two months Eindekkers have gone from two-thirds of the fighter force to less than a fifth, and the Albatros is taking over.

I agree with Dom. The British and likely the French have a couple of single seat AC before the Eindecker, but I am not aware of any earlier German single-seat "fighters". The Albatros C1, a 2-seater, had an observer's MG but it was far from being a "fighter".
    Good luck.

LOOP

Looks like I will have to make due with the AIII
    But I think I will order some Fokker DII.s from Shapeways anyway.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I picked up a couple of Fokker DIIs from Shapeways, and I intend to be able to 'mix' them in a unit with an Eindecker and a couple of Halberstadts...the pic of Kest 4 above is kind of the idea I had in mind, actually. If I remember correctly, Boelcke's first victory in Jasta 2 was in a DII...anyway, I've seen a picture of him standing next to one and that's what the caption read.

All the best,
    Matt

LOOP

I thought I do something like that to

31 Aug 1916
    Fokker D.II 16
    Fokker D.III 7

31 Oct 1916
    Fokker D.II 49
    Fokker D.III 6

31 Dec 1916
    Fokker D.II 68
    Fokker D.III 34

28 Feb 1917
    Fokker D.II 49
    Fokker D.III 7

30 Apr 1917
    Fokker D.II 33

30 Jun 1917
    Fokker D.II 26

31 Aug 1917
    Fokker D.II 10
    Fokker D.III 1

The number reflects how many were in service at that time. Service could also mean schools/training ect.
    I hope this helps.
    Sincerely, John
    Last edited by john snelling; 05-29-2015 at 13:49.

Fokker D.I - 144, D.II – 177, D.III – 210, D.V – 216.
    There were 112 Fok.D.I and 202 Fok.D.II machines ordered and delivered. Both saw service in 1916. The Fok.D.I served with Jasta 1,2,3, 6,12 and 16b. The Fok.D.II served with Jasta 7,10,12, 16, 22s and 25. Both aircraft may have served in other units not listed.
    my data shows 300 Fokker D.V being built. Batch numbers: 2600-2799/16 [200], 650-699/17 [50], and 1600-1649/17 [50]. R. When the Fok.D.V was assigned to a front line Jasta, such as Jasta 5, it was for pilot transition to rotary engine aircraft, in this case from Alb.D.V to Fok.DR.I

Fokker D.III (end of month totals, 1916)
    Aug. 7
    Oct. 6
    Dec. 34
    -withdrawn- (see above)
    From 31 August to 31 December 1916, almost half of the biplane fighters at the Front was composed of Fokker D-types.

Just some more tidbits.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I picked up a couple of Fokker DIIs from Shapeways, and I intend to be able to 'mix' them in a unit with an Eindecker and a couple of Halberstadts...the pic of Kest 4 above is kind of the idea I had in mind, actually. If I remember correctly, Boelcke's first victory in Jasta 2 was in a DII...anyway, I've seen a picture of him standing next to one and that's what the caption read.

All the best,
    Matt
    2Sep16 Hptm. Boelcke-20th victory over D.H. 2 #7895, of the 32 Sqn. RFC, piloted by Capt. R.E. Wilson, POW. The first victory for him in Jasta 2.
    I do not know if Jasta 2 had Fokker D.II's.

This is what I know. About Jasta 2 starting aircraft.
    Fokker D.I Aug16 started with 1
    Fokker D.III Aug16 started with 2
    Albatros D.I Aug16 started with 1. Received 5 16 Sep16
    Albatros D.II Oct16 fully equipped. Received 1 16 Sep16. after Last one used probably in Apr17

Excellent details John. Thanks.
    It's clear from your info that these new "Jastas" flew a mixed bag of the early fighters in the early months after the Jastas began to form in mid-summer 1916. But, also as your details show, by Oct/Nov 1916 they were becoming less mixed and at about the same time the Albatros D.III began arriving at the front ... complete with some serious initial imperfections. However, the worst of these was quickly sorted-out and more than enough D.IIIs were doing front-line service to give rise to "Bloody April".
    Playing this game since 2009 and enjoying the Aerodrome site since Fall 2010 has given me an appreciation for how quickly aircraft technology advanced during WWI ... as did the ideas of how to use and fight the new AC.

Bruce if you have any specific questions about a Jasta let me know I'll share what I have collected over the years. My main interest was always the A-H.
    Here is Jasta 1. Talking about diversity.
    Fokker E.III Aug16
    Fokker E.IV x 1 Aug16 Wintgens flew one at times KIA 25 Sep 1916
    Halberstadt D.II Aug16 equipped initially
    Halberstadt D.III Aug16 equipped initially
    Fokker D.I Aug16 First aircraft withdrawn Dec16 wing failures
    Fokker D.II Aug16
    Pfalz E.IV Aug16
    Fokker D.IV von Keudall
    Albatros D.I x 2 Sep16 very first brought by Leopold Reimann
    Albatros D.II Dec 16
    captured Nieuport 11
    captured Nieuport 16 Gustav Leffers got a victory in one on 31 Aug16.
    Flew until Dec16.

Thumbs up

Many thanks for all those stats John!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    There were some Pfalz machines E.I-V. The E.III was a two-seater parasol machine with a forward and rearward firing machine guns cloned from the Morane-Saulnier L. The others were single-seaters resembling the Fokker Eindekkers.
    Attachment 165891 Attachment 165887 Attachment 165888 Attachment 165889

There were also twenty Siemen-Schuckert E.I's. These also resembled a Fokker Eindekker but with a better streamlined fuselage and stronger undercarriage.
    Attachment 165890
    Only one of the pics came through.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The Osprey book on Jasta Boelcke shows him standing next to a DIII, in which he scored the first Jasta victory. It seems he flew it regularly until the unit received some Albatros DIs and DIIs, when he switched to a DII...there is a nice overview/discussion of the Jasta's early history and the mix of planes it flew - I highly recommend the book, if you don't have it yet.

All the best,
    Matt

I will try to post the images again.

There were some Pfalz machines E.I-V. The E.III was a two-seater parasol machine with a forward and rearward firing machine guns cloned from the Morane-Saulnier L. The others were single-seaters resembling the Fokker Eindekkers.

Name:	Pfalz E-III.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	166089

Name:	Pfalz-E1-215-15.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	166090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz-E2-454-15_01.jpg 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	166091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz-E4-647-15.jpg 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	166092

There were also twenty Siemen-Schuckert E.I's. These also resembled a Fokker Eindekker but with a better streamlined fuselage and stronger undercarriage.

Name:	Siemens Schuckert E-1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	166093
    Last edited by Naharaht; 05-31-2015 at 06:00.

LOOP

If I try to boil all your numbers to mounths I get a aprox. frontline servicetime for the Fokker DII/DIII to: Sept -16 to Apr-17.
    Is that somewhat correct? With a peak October - December-16?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'd start it at August '16 (there were only 23 by the end of August, but that's at a time when 23 was a noticeable chunk of the entire fighter force - the whole air force only had 186 fighters, most of them Eindekkers....) and yes peaking in December.

Judging when it disappeared from front-line units rather than home defence ones is the tricky bit. April '17 seems a little late to me, but not implausible - there were still 33 with combat units at the end of April, but by then it was 33 out of a fighter force of nearly 700 - the Albatros has clearly taken over by then, and the fighter arm is nearly four times the size it was in August '16.

LOOP

Aug-16 to Mars-17 then.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yeah why not.

LOOP

Well... It's settled then. Aug-16 to mars-17 it is.

31 Aug 1916
    Fokker E.III 64
    Fokker E.IV 25
    Halb D.III 20
    Pfalz E.II 17
    Fokker D.II 16
    Pfalz E.I 11
    Fokker D.I 10
    Alb D.I 1
    Alb D.II 2
    Fokker D.III 7
    Fokker D.IV 2
    Halb D.II 5
    Fokker E.I 1
    Fokker E.II 5
    Pfalz E.IV 1
    Total 186

31 Oct 1916
    Fokker D.I 74
    Alb D.I 50
    Fokker D.II 49
    Halb D.III 32
    Alb D.II 28
    Fokker E.III 28
    Halb D.IV 17
    Fokker E.IV 16
    Fokker D.III 6
    Halb D.I 6
    Roland D.I 1
    Fokker E.II 2
    Pfalz E.I 3
    Pfalz E.II 3
    SSW E.I 5
    Total 321

31 Dec 1916
    Alb D.II 214
    Fokker D.II 68
    Halb D.II 55
    Alb D.I 39
    Fokker D.III 34
    Halb D.IV 32
    Halb D.III 17
    Alb D.III 13
    Fokker E.III 11
    Roland D.I 7
    Fokker D.I 4
    Fokker D.IV 2
    Fokker E.II 1
    Fokker E.IV 2
    Pfalz E.I 1
    SSW E.I 2
    Total 502

28 Feb 1917
    Alb D.II 150
    Alb D.III 137
    Lvg D.I 61 Alb D.II
    Fokker D.II 49
    Halb D.V 39
    Alb D.I 28
    ALL Halb D.II 24
    Roland D.II 22
    Aviatik D.I 15 Halb D.II
    Aviatik D.II 4 Halb D.II
    Fokker D.I 5
    Fokker D.III 7
    Fokker D.V 3
    Halb D.I 12
    Halb D.II 5
    Halb D.III 12
    Lvg D.II 1
    Roland D.I 12
    Fokker E.III 2
    SSW E.I 1
    Total 565

Most pilots wanted to live and fight another day. To do that they must fly the best and safest ac available. Specially on the western front on the eastern front they could afford not the fly the newest and still survive.

Sorry the columns look great until posted.
    Last edited by john snelling; 06-02-2015 at 08:55.

really useful stuff - many thanks!

LOOP

Those are just splendid data, John. That is most useful
    Just so I understand them all.... The Lvg DI are licencebuilt Alb. DII? and the Aviatik DI and II are licencebuilt Halberstadts?

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Those are just splendid data, John. That is most useful
    Just so I understand them all.... The Lvg DI are licencebuilt Alb. DII? and the Aviatik DI and II are licencebuilt Halberstadts?
    Yes, for some reason the Germans decided to list them in this manner. I wonder if there were differences between the two to make the distinction?
    I glad records like these still exist, French Nieuport production records do not.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Yes, for some reason the Germans decided to list them in this manner. I wonder if there were differences between the two to make the distinction?
    I suspect they had the same problems with license-building as the West did -- one builder might be, erm, "inadequate" (see WW2, and Brewster Aircraft).

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I suspect they had the same problems with license-building as the West did -- one builder might be, erm, "inadequate" (see WW2, and Brewster Aircraft).
    Or better than the designer's company. Note the difference between the Fokker-built D.VIIs and the Albatross ones.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Or better than the designer's company. Note the difference between the Fokker-built D.VIIs and the Albatross ones.
    Karl
    Note I didn't specify *which* builder was inadequate.... >:)

Similar Missions

1. Pfalz DIII/a
    By Twisted_terrain in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2014, 18:51
  2. WGS DECALS ARE READY FOR DELIVERY Albatros D.I,DII,DIII,Dva,Fokker Dr.1
    By calfaber in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 00:14
  3. WGF Fokker DVII (Goering) for trade with Albatros DIII (Voss)
    By monse in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 15:06
  4. Looking for a Fokker DVII-UDET and an Albatross DIII-BRUMOWSKI
    By Azrael in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 14:18
  5. DVa or DIII??
    By Hamburger in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 15:27