Ares Games

Thread: WGF starting planes

Default WGF starting planes

Hi guys,

Im starting to get into WW1 and wanted to know what to get first.

I have the rules and accessories pack along with the fokker camel duel pack but I want another 2 planes to make it a 4 player game preferably another german and british fighter to make it 2v2. Aside from von richthofen who is the next most famous pilot and for the british side? Stackard? To entice players i think the most well known planes will work best. I saw a german fighter with pink lines on the wings and a pink tail that looked quite cool. Anyone know what that is?

Thanks,

Sam.

Hey Sam,

I too jumped into WWI after playing WWII for a while. I found starting with the two dual packs was quite good, helped balance the games (that series of fighters are all on par with each other). One issue I ran into however was most people didn't want to use the Spad or Albatros because they were faster, yet less maneuverable. In larger frays and in the right hands they are effective but if you want close quarters fighting I'd suggest two Camels vs two Dr. I's. Just my two cents.
    Is the pink plane you're referring to the Fokker DVII flown by Stark? The DVII is a great plane, lots of fun to fly but a less balanced opponent since it is a late war aircraft and very agile and fast, may want a Snipe to combat it.
    Anyway, others will be along to offer advice, just wanted to chip in a bit. Ideally this would be a conversation held in person so I could go on for ages , but alas I am typing from my mobile.

Aside from von richthofen who is the next most famous pilot...?
    Ernst Udet was the highest scoring and most famous of the German pilots to survive the war: WGF103A Albatross D.Va (Ernst Udet/Germany)

...and for the british side?
    From what is currently available - William Barker V.C. : WGF102A Sopwith Camel (William Barker/Great Britain)
    Or if you want a different type Raymond Collishaw: WGF111A Sopwith Triplane (Raymond Collishaw /Great Britain)

If you want late war stuff then you must get a Fokker D.VII - hell, get one anyway ! Fat Herman's is the most (in)famous modelled: WGF115A Fokker D.VII (Hermann Goering/Germany), or, any Siemens schuckart D.III. To combat that Barkers Snipe: WGF116A Sopwith Snipe (Major W. G. Barker/ Great Britain);

Download this file for all the stuff made to date and when you're ready to expand I'd recommend you get some two seaters !

Happy Hunting !

Hi Sam, welcome to the fold as it were.
    As you already gave the Camel/ Triplane pack you have a couple of choices.
    First though the Pink aircraft ( Although this is not the correct colour) is the late war Fokker DVII, very nice and can be used against the camel, on the Brit side to combat this you should be using the Snipe , which is still available.
    However the Snipe far out classes your DR1 Triplane.
    So to keep things as you are I would suggest, if it is a Brit you want, Stackards Camel is a good buy. To go with this try either another DRI, kirchenstein ( stripes) or LotharvR ( Yellow top wing) or one of the Albatross DVa, Udet, Jacobs or V Hipple, personally I like VHipple, nice dragon on the sides.

Any of these will give you a mid/ late-ish foursome.
    Hope this helps

Thanks guys,

Much appreciated. Will take everything on board and let you know what I go with.

Sam.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    ]
    Aside from von richthofen who is the next most famous pilot a

I would suggest Werner Voss is the next most famous. While Udet scored more and survived long enough to be a Hollywood barn-stormer and then be disillusioned by the Nazis, Voss was the more talented pilot.
    Voss's last stand against five or seven British SE5s flown by hand-picked pilots is far more memorable than MvR being shot down by Australian cooks.

What Barry says is true and I agree Voss would be a great addition, however be aware there is not an official Voss model currently available you would have to do a repaint of either his Dr1 or an Albatross.
    His official model was a Albatross D3 now long OOP, unless you willing to pay lots on eBay.
    If you a repainter then not a prob, if not you will have to wait for the series reprint , if he is still on the list

From a gameplay perspective, 2 Camels vs 2 Dr.1s is a pretty good matchup, especially if you let the newer players use the Camels.

With that said, the Fokker D.VII is absolutely great in-game and would help balance things out a bit (the 13 HP of the Dr.1 makes it a bit fragile).

From a historical perspective, the D.VII would be an appropriate match up versus the Camel - ironically, perhaps even more appropriate than the Dr.1, considering it was produced in an order of magnitude greater numbers.

I concur - a Fokker DVII would be a good companion for your Dr1.
    With the Camel being faster and tougher than the Dr1, 2 vs 2 is a tad uneven (unless you play altitude, where the Dr1 has a superior climb rate).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    I would suggest Werner Voss is the next most famous. While Udet scored more and survived long enough to be a Hollywood barn-stormer and then be disillusioned by the Nazis, Voss was the more talented pilot.
    Voss's last stand against five or seven British SE5s flown by hand-picked pilots is far more memorable than MvR being shot down by Australian cooks.
    Ahuum Barry! I know Aussie cooks are pretty clever but it was actually a Aussie Machine Gunner that has the official "nod" for getting MvR although Csdn refuses to believe this.

I managed to get Voss on eBay last year.
    From Australia, by coincidence considering the previous posts about the cooks.

LOOP

I'd go for a Hanriot HD1, Sopwith triplane or a Nieuport 28 to acompany the Camel (or Another Camel)
    and an Aviatik DI, Fokker DVII or Another Fokker Dr1 as a counterpart. These are all fun to fly with. Or a Siemens-Schuckert DIII...
    but than an Albatross is a must... so.... Sorry but YOU NEED THEM ALL

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Ahuum Barry! I know Aussie cooks are pretty clever but it was actually a Aussie Machine Gunner that has the official "nod" for getting MvR although Csdn refuses to believe this.

I am not discrediting their shooting or their cooking - thrown another shrimp on the barbie mate…
    My point was that getting hit by ground fire was a sad end for MvR. Voss, on the other hand, managed to be shot down in a dogfight and an epic one at that!

'Greatness' is measured in many ways and in different ways by different cultures. To the Vikings or - maybe the Klingons - Voss's end was a greater 'saga' or maybe worth a Klingon opera on the subject!

As to who shot down MvR, all the forensics squarely give the credit to the Aussies… MvR was hit from the side by a rising bullet which was tumbling in flight due to the greater range (800 yards). Brown said he fired from behind, on the same level and from close range so - on Brown's own admission - the fatal shot can't have been Brown's.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    YOU NEED THEM ALL
    Yes!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Dare I suggest, you need them all, and MORE!?

All the best,
    Matt

You may not need them all, but once you start you will find you want them all. So don't kid yourself them all. The AA store is a good place to start

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Dare I suggest, you need them all, and MORE!?

All the best,
    Matt

"An addiction it is" - Yoda after he shot down his first Wings of War aeroplane.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    I'd go for a Hanriot HD1, Sopwith triplane or a Nieuport 28 to acompany the Camel (or Another Camel)
    and an Aviatik DI, Fokker DVII or Another Fokker Dr1 as a counterpart.
    Agree re: the Nieuport 28. We just picked up all three of them (because you do, in fact, need them all ) and, in our test games so far, they make a really good matchup for the Dr.1 (better than the Camel I think). And the models look great!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-21-2014, 05:05
  2. Starting out in 1/144
    By rkwright in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 06:20
  3. Just starting
    By Tarty in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 22:43
  4. Starting a Career