Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avro Vulcan Retires

Default Avro Vulcan Retires

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Sadly inevitable - the CAF would be in the same boat. Keeping old jets flying is an altogether different proposition to piston engined warbirds unfortunately, and you simply can't knock up spares in any reasonably well equipped machine shop.

Sad when that day comes!
    I saw some pics of the final flight on Facebook.

The cost of keeping this airworthy is phenomenal, especially as it is maintained by a small group of enthusiasts and not a major organisation. The group have done damned well keeping it flying as long as they have.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I'm just glad I got the chance to see it in the air.
    A great pity about the grounding but at least the reasons are justifiable.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Always sad to see news like this - but as Rob says, the reasons seem prudent and justified

I saw the last flying Vulcan last year at Clacton airshow and when it flew a tour of old V-bomber bases.. It is sad that it cannot fly for much longer. I also know the owner of its starboard landing light.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00175.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	165418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00163.jpg 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	165419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00121.jpg 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	165420

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Bearing in mind that it costs around GBP (Ł) 6,500 per flying hour to keep a Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX in the air (Source: OFMC) I cannot even begin to imagine what astronomical costs the VTS Trust have to bear per Avro Vulcan flying hour. Anybody who has seen XH558 on the ground and out of season at ...

Doncaster / Robin Hood International Airport will know that Airbus has a major say-so in the project. Maintaining XH558 to UK CAA Standards (as she is on the Civilian Register as G-VLCN instead of being an operational military aircraft like Avro Lancaster PA474 still is for instance) is taken care of that way.

However running out of spare parts is definitely what's dictating this whole matter - they stated on the out of season / AOG tour that there were no longer spares available from museums throughout the UK with which to keep XH558 in the air. There was talk of post-retirement pointing towards XH558 making a return to Bruntingthorpe Airfield in Leicestershire which is where the project relocated to Doncas ... sorry, RAF Finningley from in the first place around 2008-time. This will allow the Vulcan to perform taxi and take-off runs at this location with it's Cold War Jets Collection and phenomenally long runway: Similar to what they already have a Handley Page Victor K2 doing there already. Link to Bruntingthorpe Website:

http://www.bruntingthorpeaviation.com/

I for one will be at Doncas ... Typo! RAF Finningley for the last chance to hear XH558's trademark 'howl' which is best heard from directly underneath / audible with the aircraft above where you are. Even with the planned take-off runs idea this is going to be a hard one to replicate on a level playing field with the audience ...
    Last edited by Tonx; 05-21-2015 at 08:55. Reason: Bruntingthorpe website link inclusion

Keep missing the beast - though I've seen the Vulcan flying many years ago - Away for Eastbourne but might catch it at Bournemouth !

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I was driving a quiet lane in East Lothian, leafy trees, cottages, bird song. When from absolutely nowhere it seemed like the world was going to end. This roared overhead at a few hundred feet. Simltaneously terrifying and ennervating. With the surprise factor, quite unrepeatable.

On it's way to the East Fortune airshow and dozen miles away. It flew straight down the line of the road for a more or so and then carried on over fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Sadly inevitable - the CAF would be in the same boat. Keeping old jets flying is an altogether different proposition to piston engined warbirds unfortunately, and you simply can't knock up spares in any reasonably well equipped machine shop.
    Not yet -- 3D Printing is coming to metals soon; the first guy to get a commercial unit is going to have the Warbird types beating down his door....

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Was not in on this one myself and DO I wish I had been a fly on the cockpit wall when the following occurred near 'Megawatt Valley' (area of the River Trent between West Burton Power Station and Cottam Power Station) in late August 2014.

Logged From: IFR Cross-Country flight on board which was 1 CFI (flight instructor) with 1 Trainee flying and another back-seating. Heading back from the West Raynham area and a landing made at Sywell which was mentioned to EGCN. 15:57 GMT: IFR XC flight alerted by ATC to a large traffic presence nearby and overtaking them at lower altitude. Traffic was VFR and nobody thought that it would be XH558 returning to EGCN from Dunsfold that day. Noise even with their own twin-engines was described as 'unique' and underflight was close though legal for VFR flight. View for back-seater not as good as from the front two seats as XH558 underflew the XC aircraft almost directly and on the same heading (going in virtually the same direction.) My comment was that this was P1 and P2's reward for all of their hard work that day ... Did they follow XH558's smoke trails back to EGCN or did they maintain IFR flight plan as filed with ATC?!

Gordon Bennett ... That's DEFINITELY one for the logbook!!!

Would 3D printed metal components be strong enough or be able to withstand the heat?

However, haven't computer controlled 3D metal milling machines been available for years?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Would 3D printed metal components be strong enough or be able to withstand the heat?

However, haven't computer controlled 3D metal milling machines been available for years?
    Yes thinks me - CATIA. Possibly since the mid-1990s within aerospace and defence companies.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The Vulcan flew a number of years ago at the Dayton Air Show - it was so cool to see such an iconic plane up 'close' and flying - when it would turn, that delta wing was so spectacular!

Hope it's going to a good home/museum for static display somewhere.

All the best,
    Matt

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    The Vulcan flew a number of years ago at the Dayton Air Show - it was so cool to see such an iconic plane up 'close' and flying - when it would turn, that delta wing was so spectacular!

Hope it's going to a good home/museum for static display somewhere.

All the best,
    Matt
    You still have the real 'jaw-dropper' still in active service across The Pond IMHO though the Vulcan is spectacular ... In the shape of the B-52H Stratofortress.

Two possibilities meet XH558 upon retirement this year - one of which involves preserving the aircraft in a mobile but not flyable state. The other involves the Vulcan staying where it is currently based and being preserved as a static exhibit. Either way the Vulcan To The Sky's work is far from done ensuring that she will not fall into disrepair. I don't think the SBAC (Society of British Aerospace Companies) would allow this to happen anyway with or without continued input from the VTS Trust.

You should come over and pay the UK a visit because we have a whole plethora of air museums dotted all over the country: Two weeks I reckon is what you would need to visit the main ones / famous ones like the FAA Museum at Yeovilton (Bristol) and both RAF Museums at Hendon (London) and Cosford (Telford.) Plus of course this future attraction should you not get the chance to actually see her fly pre-retirement ...

On your way past where I am located you can stop for a coffee and a Wings of Glory game so there's another to add to the attractions map

Saw it years ago in Abbotsford - a couple of times actually. An amazing sight to see in flight.

Guess I'll have to be satisfied with my late 50s Dinky Toys version now.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Saw it years ago in Abbotsford - a couple of times actually. An amazing sight to see in flight.

Guess I'll have to be satisfied with my late 50s Dinky Toys version now.
    Nice collectors' item to hear about there ... When my favourite rendition of XH558 rolled into the house we almost needed to strengthen the attic floor! It is the 1/72 scale diecast and resin model as released last year by Corgi. I think this model may still be available for sale though it is no longer in production.

Dinky Toys also used to do a nice McDonnell F-4 Phantom in Royal Navy colours. Used to have one when I was very young - retractable landing gear and everything. Also remember their Sea King which carried US Navy markings and came ensuite with a plastic space rocket capsule to recover via winch. Using 1 AA-size battery to power them the blades turned via a small electronic motor. Battery went into the main bodyside on the same side as the crew door would have been: Replaced by long metal door which opened outwards and so not for use in flight! But another innovative model from Dinky in it's day ...

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

The B-52 is a rather awesome plane, too, Barnaby! It's always fun to see them flying - once upon a time when SAC was HQed here in Dayton at Wright-Patt, they'd be flying overhead all the time...

I visited Hendon in 1988 and was very favorably impressed - I'm sure it's even more impressive now. Also did some digging around Cambridgeshire looking for former American bases...and then took a loop around Scotland to visit all of the Scottish regimental museums (another passion of mine). It would be great to get back to Hendon and other places on another visit - my wife and I are talking about that possibility when I retire.

You Brits do a nice museum, Barnaby

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Yes, but Civvies don't have access, and the prices are thus ludicrous; get them into the hands of hoi polloi....

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

The Final Frontier ... Which is approaching fast is going to occur on October 10th / October 11th 2015 when Avro Vulcan XH558 bids us one last farewell before being grounded permanently at the end of the 2015 Air Show Season in the UK.

The plan is that XH558 on one day will fly EGCN to EGCN covering northern England and then the next day same again but covering southern England. Whichever day it is decided that the circuits will be flown on it is confirmed that the final flying day of this almighty aircraft will (all being well) be October 11th. EGCN is Finningley to many of us but also now known as Doncaster Robin Hood International Airport. Which will be ram-PACKED with enthusiasts no doubt ...

I bet there will not be a dry eye in the house as XH558 lands for the final time although it is not the end of the British four-engine jet legacy as was incorrectly stated at the RAF Cosford Air Show earlier on this year ... There are after all still BAe 146-300QTs in service although not for much longer so I understand. However the BAe 146 does not just blatantly say 'ENGLAND' in the same way that the Avro Vulcan does

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    There are after all still BAe 146-300QTs in service although not for much longer so I understand. However the BAe 146 does not just blatantly say 'ENGLAND' in the same way that the Avro Vulcan does
    Also not a bomber, with that warrior allure about it
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Also not a bomber, with that warrior allure about it
    Agreed - though the BAe 146 will always be special to me as I used to fly them with Air Foyle out of STN - these aircraft now operate with TNT Airways but will be history from their fleet before long ...

From my trip to the Doncaster Wings of Glory event this weekend.....

She gave us a fantastic mini display on Saturday, on approach then wheels up crossing the threshold, full power and beating up the runway, then around again, touchdown and a "bolter" back into the air before coming around for a third time and landing. There were quite a few damp eyes I can tell you

The British 4 engined jet legacy of course includes the A340 where significant and critical elements of the aircraft's design and manufacture are conducted in the UK

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The British 4 engined jet legacy of course includes the A340 where significant and critical elements of the aircraft's design and manufacture are conducted in the UK
    Along with the Airbus A380 - one of which is minutes away from passing overhead of where I am. Pity due to the weather we cannot see Emirates 19 today as it descends into Manchester. The wings are manufactured in Broughton near Chester.

Vulcan photo - Fantastic IMHO but was this taken at the Museum or at Finningley (EGCN / Doncaster Robin Hood) please?

Taken from the Old Bawtry Road viewpoint alongside the runway

Oh yes, forgot the A380, lovely plane. I used to share an offoce with a guy who was deeply involved in building the first A380 wing

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Taken from the Old Bawtry Road viewpoint alongside the runway
    I'll try this location on October 10th / 11th - the Wife is adamant we are going to se XH558 flying one last time as she loves the Vulcan. I'm into my V-Bombers in general. Once again that is an excellent photo thank you very much for posting / sharing with us.

Britain will still have a four-engine bomber -- an Avro Lancaster....

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Wink WARNING: Massive Aircraft!

Here is one for everyone who like myself collects diecast aircraft models ... Especially if you like the Corgi Aviation 1/72 Scale range.

I have just arranged to go and see a friend of mine's brand new addition to his collection which is the brand new 1/72 scale Avro Vulcan in Anti-Flash white colours. Operated by 617 Squadron from RAF Scampton XL321 is a B. Mk 2 which was retired from active service in 1981. Corgi will only be manufacturing 1,500 of these beauts so each one comes with a Limited Edition certificate.

I have Corgi's other Mega-Vulcan which was the 1/72 XH558 release from last year. These models are part-resin as if they were all-metal due to their shear size you would probably need to strengthen the shelves it's displayed on with girders! There are some differences to note between the two models apparently: XL321 comes supplied with a scale Blue Steel weapon to place in the bomb bay whereas XH558 does not. Also the shape of the tailfin is correct as XL321 was never fitted with ECM devices whilst carrying the white Anti-Flash colours.

Going off what I already know ... Would I recommend this aircraft to a friend? YES: It's worth the three-figure GBP sum it is available for IMHO and although gigantic this I a true collectors' item. My advice is that these models which were released slightly ahead of schedule by Corgi are selling out fast. Which explains why I am posting this here to let people know what this rendition of XL321 is all about and that it is currently selling out.

Should the size of this aircraft put anybody off who would still like XL321 in their collection smaller renditions are available from Corgi - Showcase and Aviation Archive in 1/144 Scale. There are also 1/200 Scale models of the same aircraft by Inflight200 Models (diecast - landing gear lowered & no stand) and Dragon Wings (plastic - landing gear optional and stand provided.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    I'll try this location on October 10th / 11th - the Wife is adamant we are going to se XH558 flying one last time as she loves the Vulcan. I'm into my V-Bombers in general. Once again that is an excellent photo thank you very much for posting / sharing with us.
    My local chums advise getting there VERY early as they are sure the place will be rammed!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

My local chums advise getting there VERY early as they are sure the place will be rammed!
    - Copy That. When XH558 overflew East Midlands Airport recently the parked cars nearby stretched for almost two miles - both sides of the road I gather!

Somebody I know has just advised me to find out which day she flies south & try Newark Air Museum as it always overflies there following the A1 VFR - visual flight rules.

Failing that I've got a good idea involving Gamston Airfield which I know well as XH558 follows the A1 south near to Megawatt Valley.

I didn't know one could do that in public in Britain.... >

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Good Old FT! I have managed to find a PC here which allows me access to the Aerodrome during working hours. That heads up on XH558 this weekend is due at any time today and I am now able to post full details on here.

Watch This Space for routes and timings on October 10th and 11th 2015.

NOTE: Please AVOID travelling to Doncaster Robin Hood International Airport to see XH558 take off and land this weekend. A number of air museums are going to be overflown on both days by XH558 and members of the public are being urged to travel to these instead of to EGCN. For more information see either yesterday's Daily Telegraph or the Vulcan To The Sky Trust website. XH558 now also trackable as VLCN on Flight Radar 24 whenever it is airborne.

The approximate routes were published yesterday, waiting for the final details today. Bristol is on the route

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Certainly is David as is RAF Fairford. The plan shows a general circuit on the Southern England Tour which brings it west to east across Bristol. No further news as yet though Flight Ops here was advised we were being told around 14:00.

The news could arrive any time now and so Ben and I who were meeting up for a WGS game later are staying on here and waiting until this comes in ... Then we will concentrate on WGS as there will hopefully be time.

Hmm, Fairford is way off the flight plan that I've seen. Hoping it gets added in

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Update: North UK Tour to be flown on Saturday and South UK Tour to be flown on Sunday. No further news into Flight Ops at FT other than departure time from EGCN envisaged to be 13:30 GMT on both days.

Heads Up stated flight training areas MEGAWATT VALLEY and GAMSTON AIRFIELD to expect southbound Vulcan on Sunday. Megawatt Valley refers to area near West Burton Power Station / Cottam Power Station and the River Trent & A1.

XH558 is trackable in the air using Flight Radar 24 where it appears as VLCN. More as we get it but Ben and I going to hang on here until 18:30 today. Before heading off to a game of WGS back at my hotel - he is a brand new player and I have RAP & gaming mat / a small number of aircraft with me. If nothing today we should hear by tomorrow as training flights using EGCN / Training Airspace are all affected

That is great news Barney.
    I won't even get my National Tour newsletter from the horses mouth until tomorrow evening.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I would if I could hang on until further news comes into FT today. But I am on my way back home after I have finished today to the Wife & Kittens as my duties here will be done.

New WGS player Ben going to contact me if anything heard BEFORE Vulcan To The Sky reveals all today around 18:00 UK Time. Unless beaten to it will post details when I arrive home to their newsletter hopefully

Just seen the latest iteration of the Southern route - Fairford is included and she's coming about 5 miles from us here

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Just seen the latest iteration of the Southern route - Fairford is included and she's coming about 5 miles from us here
    Ben on phone just now and so I gather. Rolls Royce in Derby to be overflown on Saturday as VLCN flies south to north.

WingCo will be cheesed off Nottingham being missed out entirely he will have to go to Newark on Sunday. EMA and Cosford to be overflown on Saturday BTW Severn Bridges being overflown instead of museum at Yeovilton WTF??!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

RAF Museum at Cosford anticipating an overflight time of 15:30 GMT. Next waypoint for XH558 after Cosford is close to Burton upon Trent which is labelled Hold For EMA - East Midlands Airport.

Now then ... A little confusion has arisen over East Midlands Airport to Derby up to Mansfield according to the map. The exit turn from East Midlands Airport is awfully sharp although the aircraft will be appearing flying runway heading and from the west. The Vulcan is then shown as making nearly a 120-degree turn mid-field to head for Derby crossing Aston upon Trent which is near Shardlow. As to how much of Castle Donington will actually be overflown is hard to anticipate but I reckon the aircraft will be back on track by Aston upon Trent having covered a decent enough proportion of EMA and made this turn towards Derby ... Where more confusion awaits!

Overflying Derby south to north the aircraft will cross the Railway Technical Centre and Pride Park making a turn over Derby College. Missing the main Rolls-Royce plant on Raynesway by approximately one mile! The RTC can be found on London Road but be advised you are surrounded by buildings and trees. Best vantage point would be the London Road railway overbridge in terms of viewing from an elevated spot. Parking at Pride Park is also heavily restricted and on Pride Parkway is virtually non-existent!

Following Derby the aircraft will continue to head north towards Mansfield where the next waypoint on the map is marked. There it will turn direct north towards it's next waypoint located close to Chesterfield.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Just in case you missed it ... Bullseye!

https://youtu.be/nSw6R458axY

Here is Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558 overflying Derby where for some reason she missed the main Rolls-Royce plant on Raynesway by about one mile. Video taken from London Road / Litchurch Lane railway overbridge area thanks to one of the most spectacular estimates I think I may have ever made.

Photographs taken by the Lady Wife (Mazzle) are currently being uploaded as she took these whilst I was filming. So I am beginning to understand viewers congregated at East Midlands Airport were disappointed after due to departing commercial traffic XH558 was not given the clearance required to overfly the field ...

Blimey - it's a bit loud when it flies over your head at less than 100ft....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2133.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	178165

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Only thing missing from my footage was the power-howl noise as he was flying straight and level. To create the howl the throttles need to be advanced to 93 per cent minimum.

I do like that head on shot of yours above Chris ... Captures so many of the Vulcan's characteristics. Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Blimey - it's a bit loud when it flies over your head at less than 100ft....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2133.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	178165
    Nice one Chris - that will rattle your fillings !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The Last Flying Vulcan
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 03:50
  2. Avro Lancaster
    By Belis4rius in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 11:53
  3. Avro 504