Ares Games

Thread: Something Different!

Lightbulb Something Different!

This year we on the east coast will have rare opportunity. The Hermione-Lafayette Voyage 2015. Commemorating Lafayette`s arrival on board the original Hermione , she will make 13 stops on her voyage. Starting June 6th at Yorktown Virginia.

Rich

http://hermione2015.com/voyage2015/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sstbhermione1.png   sstbhermione2.png   sstbhermione3.png  

Very cool. I'll definitely try to see her. Boston may be a bit crowded but I can also give Castine Maine a shot.

People from far and wide will be here to see it! It should be interesting. Locally the Godspeed from Jamestown will open for tours also.

Rich

If you go over to the Anchorage, there is a thread there about the Hermione. Flying Officer Kyte and his good lady are going over to America to see the ship arrive.

David

I can never get logged on to the Anchorage, i posted here for the non sailors! I am looking forward to meeting both of them!

Rich

Thanks for the update Rich.
    I had not seen the one of her leaving for the States and at sea.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Smile

Rob

An impressive view of her! I can`t wait to see her! It should be quite a sight seeing her come in. Anyone stopping on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel first island will get a great view of her. Here is an aerial of the first island. Ships approaching the tunnel pick up a harbor master who pilots them in. They normally do that on the fly from pilot boats.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chesapeake-Bay-Bridge-tunnel.jpg   Navy ship two.jpg   Naval_ships_Virginia_Beach.jpg  

Thumbs up

That should be really something to look forward to!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

That beauty was build in the town of Rochefort, in the old "Corderie Royale". This small town, located on the West Coast of France, is the place where I did my Naval studies when I was a Young sailor in the French Navy. Now, my place is around 20 kms from there.

I was Lucky to see the Hermione under construction. It took roughly 18 years to finish it. I should have a couple of pictures somewhere. If you are interested and if I'll be able to find them, I can post some of them.

And as we are used to say in the French Navy : "Bon vent et bonne mer" !

That would be nice of you Olivier !

Yes please Olivier.
    We would love to see any photos you can dig out.
    Rob.

Olivier

Seeing her built would have been interesting!

Rich

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Olivier

Seeing her built would have been interesting!

Rich
    +1

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

The first time I was in the"Corderie Royale" was in 1984. Rubbles everywhere. They needed at least 10 years to renew (rebuild more or less) it completely. Today, it's a jewel. The main building is now a big Library, with a part especially dedicated to the difefferent Navies, boats, sailing & sailors, trips, cruises ... In 1997, they found a repair area (called Radoub) completely filled with mud coming from the Charente River. They cleaned it and started the "Hermione" project. At the very beginning, I had the chance to visit the dockyard. The principle was : Use only the Tools and material they had during that period to build boats and ships. I saw them working on the skeleton on the hull. Later on, they closed the yard to visitors. They re-opened it years after ; the ship was nearly finished.

I did a try for the pics yesterday, without success. But I still have tons of boxes to check. If someone is available to sort thousands of pics ...

That really is a lifetime endeavor for those involved then Olivier.
    It is great to see maritime heritage being restored alongside our air one.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I trust that like all the best French-built frigates, she'll end up in British service sooner or later....

Olivier

Thank you for the information on the Corderie Royale. It looks to a very interesting place, that is the fanciest rope walk i have ever seen! They have a few a images section with some photos of the L’Hermione during construction!

Rich

http://www.corderie-royale.com/visit...rie-en-images/

Lightbulb

No visit to the Tidewater of Virginia is compete without a visit to the Mariners Museum in Newport News Virginia.

Rich

http://www.marinersmuseum.org/

I will have to see if we can pull that in as well Rich.
    Rob.

Rob

Well worth it if you could. They have the turret and guns off the Monitor in preservation there. They have an exhibit of Both Monitor and the Virginia!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

I found two Pics from 2013 in digital format. Easy to post. The previous pics are hard copies and I wasn't able to locate it yet. I'll continue to search ...

Hermione was in the Radoub (Repair Dock), located on the Corderie Royale site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo 2013-08-21 (1).jpg   Photo 2013-08-21.jpg  

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

She really is a pretty ship. Amazing work.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Here is the repair dock close to the Hermione, Corderie Royale in Rochefort (West Coast of France, 35 kms South of La Rochelle).

When I visited the Corderie the first time in 1984, we didn't know that those places were there ; fully covered by tons of mud coming from the Charente River.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo 2013-08-21 (2).jpg  

Olivier

Nice photos! I am looking forward to seeing her here! It looks like the drawings of Norfolk Navy Shipyard dry dock #1.

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Two more Pics from August 1993, before the Hermione project started. The Dry Dock was just cleaned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radoub 08 1993.jpg   Radoub 08 1993_1.jpg  

Olivier

What year was the dry dock built?

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Olivier

What year was the dry dock built?

Rich
    Between 1650 and 1670, as far as I heard.

I'll be back there next July. If you want, I can ask to get something more precise, if available ...

Olivier

They say a mud bath will take the years away! I would not have guessed it was that old!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Olivier

They say a mud bath will take the years away! I would not have guessed it was that old!

Rich
    Secret of Longevity ....

Smile

Olivier

There are few houses that old around here!

Rich

Lightbulb

Rob

Here is a photo of one of two docks at Yorktown. One is Gated and where two schooners tie up they offer short rides around the York River. This is the most likely spot where Hermine will be tied up. Beware of suspicious characters lurking in the area. The last photo was taken on the bluff behind the National Visitors center. That is the Coleman Bridge that connects Yorktown and Gloucester Point. You know where Tarleton!
    Yorktown waterfront is a paved walkway. From the bridge to the far dock takes a few minutes. The statues of Washington and De Grasse across from the parking garage on Water Street. There is a building called the Historic Freight Shed #20 on the map, it used for meeting and special functions. I propose we meet on the river side along the walkway. There are benches and stone wall all along that area. We should meet at 8am!

Just in from a reenacter friend. More in information than i have seen to date.

HERMIONE

The Hermione will place a wreath in the water on June 3 in the vicinity of the Battle of the Capes
    The ship will sail up the York on June 4 and stay north of the Coleman Bridge
    On Friday the ship will head to the Yorktown docks and around 8:20 AM fire a 21 gun salute in honor of General Washington
    American artillery will return the honor, currently set at only one shot per gun (due to the restrictions on the NPS crews)starting at Gloucester Point.
    When the ship comes to the dock there will be brief fireworks
    At 10:00 AM Lafayette will disembark and be greeted by General Washington

HERITAGE VILLAGE

Most of the participants are historical, but there will be a few modern groups there including NOAA, some other governmental agencies.
    , and the official Hermione souvenir tent.
    The historical folks besides us are the Jamestown Yorktown Foundation, Watermens Musem, Fort Vause, the baker, a Rev War period blacksmith and others.

STAGE: check the schedule on line - military bands, period music, actors portraying period characters.

MOVIES: two movies will be shown in the stage area when its gets dark -Liberty's Call (from the Victory Center) and a movie on LaFayette's life

Rich

P.S. This gives me a chance to see her coming in at the CBBT!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5230018.jpg   P5230019.jpg   P5230017.jpg   P5230005.jpg  

Thanks for the extra info Richard. We will see you there at 8.00 am then.
    Rob.

Rob

The Freight Shed it the the building to the right behind the statues. There is a patio area partially covered between shed and river. See you there!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Nice Pics and Nice place too.

Thanks Rich.

Rob

The Freight Shed it the the building to the right behind the statues. There is a patio area partially covered between shed and river. See you there!

Rich
    Cheers Rich.
    I have printed out the pictures and information. I will bring them along with the map for directions.
    Rob.

Great thread, comrades.

I follow the Hermione story at the SoG Anchorage, but those dry dock pictures are amazing.

Thank you for the pictures, Olivier.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Between 1650 and 1670, as far as I heard.

I'll be back there next July. If you want, I can ask to get something more precise, if available ...
    Anything you can get will be much appreciated by me Olivier.
    This little jaunt of ours to the States has become a very rapid learning curve.
    Rob.

Smile

Rob

This may come as a shock! We drive on the right over here.
    Rich

Rob

This may come as a shock! We drive on the right over here.
    Rich
    That is one I do know Rich.
    The main reason we declined a hire car.
    It's a lot easier flying a Scout where you just sit in the middle no matter who built it.
    Rob.

Smile

Rob

Knowing you will not be personally driving in Williamsburg makes me feel better. Williamsburg is a major pain to drive in and get around in! Between Colonial Williamsburg, The College of William & Mary and the CSX railroad the town is cut in two. There are by-passes and a New Divided road west of road of town, that help. But in places i get lost every trip there! My wife still believes i know Williamsburg like the back of my hand. I always luck out and end up in the right place!
    Sit back and enjoy the ride! I will see both of you Friday morning!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Hello Guys,

It seems that the Beauty is with you now. Please take care of her !!

Enjoy.

Olivier

I cannot wait to see her! She will be getting a good bath on her arrival! 80% chance of rain tomorrow almost as bad Thursday!!!!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Visiting my customers in Reykjavik, I passed by the harbor at the end of the day and I saw this beautiful Russian lady there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	166832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	166833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	166834

Wow! Very nice, and info on her? My Russian is not so good. . .

Olivier

Weren't you lucky! The Krusenstern if i did my homework right!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Hey Rich ! Eagle Eyes ! Yes you're right that's the Krusentern. The ship was in Toulon (French Riviera) by the end of May.

23 French guys are currently on board (from the French Merchant Navy school located in Marseille). I met few of them later in the evening downtown Reykjavik.

Olivier

Your area may be in for some American tourists. The there were three booths handing out souvenir carrying bags and travel brochures as well as Corderie Royale

Rich