Ares Games

Thread: Spring HBM 1/200 Scale Newsletter

Default Spring HBM 1/200 Scale Newsletter

(This newsletter goes out directly to many 1/200 collectors and to hundreds more via TOTS. There is enough worthwhile 1/200 news to post it here at the Aerodrome.)

HBM 1/200 Scale Notes – Spring 2015

Where’s Ron Department.

I get a bit anxious when too many people enquire about my health. Even more so when they address the questions to Louise. The short answer is that I seem to be dealing with the onset of either Middle Age or Maturity – that delicate time of life when Reality and Responsibilities begin to assert irresistible influence. A sure warning of maturity is remorselessly swapping your fire breathing M3 for a grey saloon (albeit a 3.5 liter, 7-speed, direct –injected, AWD with a hard drive rated at something like 15 gigabytes.) A more sinister aspect is waiting for a cataract to mature, having the surgery and implant, and then discovering that a new array of eyeglasses and lights and magnifying lenses is required for fine detail tasks. Truth, justice and the One True Scale shall yet prevail.

HBM Directions Depeartment.

The general picture as seen from HBM World HQ in the Green Mountains is unmistakably the process of generational change in the hobby. We knew this was coming from watching the same events among European collectors a decade or so ago. The old-time collectors gradually faded into inactivity and were not replaced by a clearly defined wave of new supporters. The old time model designers slowed down and found competing opportunities. The producers of core model ranges found themselves wedged between rising costs and a shrinking customer base. And the industrial economies that might have encouraged hobbies like ours have engaged in a decades-long race for the bottom.

I personally am optimistic. Some segments of the 1/200 hobby are actually growing. Tabletop wargaming, spearheaded by the Ares “Wings of Glory” program and suppliers like AIM and Skytrex, is doing well . The high-end diecast producers like Herpa, Hogan, and Gulliver continue to offer excellent albeit expensive models. Trumpeter and other kit makers are bringing out a new wave of 1/200 choices centered around warships. The 3D Printing industry, through agencies like Shapeways, has brought forth a new generation of makers. As the additive production process moves from fused filaments to powder deposition technologies the accumulated designs will rapidly become very competitive. And, not to be overlooked, the card model industry is using resin and plastic detail parts to make their remarkable choices even more attractive.

The question that I regularly discuss with our families and with other hobby producers is where we fit into that emergent future. The prospects measured either by direct costs or by the time and energy consumed are hovering between grim and unacceptable. We are now working for our personal pleasure and for the enjoyment and encouragement of a circle of 1/200 collector friends who are actually happy to receive the increasingly offbeat and exotic models we now make.

For me (as a cancer survivor hovering on the brink of at least Maturity if not Eternity,0 the implication is becoming clear. I am henceforth in the game for projects that I want badly enough for my own collection to accept the anticipated losses. And on that basis the game plan is shifting to getting models repaired, finished, and on display.

Looking at the models already on hand, it becomes remarkably easy to identify the holes.

In aircraft, the priority is clearly improving the coverage of the Golden Wings era of the 1930’s and the post-WWII developments of the 1940’s. The biplanes of earlier periods are better suited to 3D printing or lost-wax production, and WWII and the Jet Age are already remarkably well covered.

In vehicles the existing choice is so extensive that there are few gaps. The wargame suppliers are doing a wonderful job there. My personal interest is in the super-heavy tanks and artillery that dot the history of AFV’s. Look for the US T-28 in our next series, followed by some French, Soviet, British, and Japanese equivalents. Our magnum opus, currently progressing nicely but very slowly, will be the giant Schwerer Gustav railway cannon.

The naval program is even simpler. My personal interest is submarines, whose sniper-like capacity to disappear and strike from ambush gives them the ability to alter tactical, operational, and strategic scenarios. I generally classify other ships as Targets. We are now building the Type VIIC and VIIC/41 U-Boats, which have somehow not appeared in 1/200 or 1/192. The next most glaring omission has to be the Flower Class Corvette, a major contributor in the Battle of the Atlantic. After the Flower, probably landing craft.

Forthcoming HBM models

A flight of six pre-WWII US fighters are off for casting. Those are the XP-31,XP-34, P-35, XP-52, XP-57, and XP-59. In hot pursuit will be the Wellesley and Whirlwind. And for variety there is our latest AVF in quite some time: the super-heavy US Army T-28 tank. I am hoping to have those ready to distribute in July.-August

By late summer the Type VIIC U-boat should be available. We are planning to make the hull split at the waterline into two hollow components. That will enable modelers to display either the full hull or a surfaced U-boat. At least as important, a hollow assembly will allow us to keep the exothermic heat generated by the gelling resin to a reasonable level that will avoid frying the silicone rubber molds. If we don’t lose our shirt on the Type VIIC we will offer a conversion to the next most numerous U-boat: the Type VIIC/1941.

By mid-autumn another series of US fighter and attack derived from the Lockheed YP-24 should be ready. Those include the YP-24 itself, the Consolidated Y1P-25, P-27, P-28, P-30, P-33, A-11, and maybe the versions for the RAF packing a dorsal MG turret. With those I expect to make 3-4 additional exotic AFV’s. To that end I am looking for better drawings of the Soviet T-42 “Grote” supertank. Especially the top and end views. And any drawings for the British TOG-1.

Around that juncture the re will also be the five heavy USAAF bombers – the XB-15, XB-16, YB-17, XBLR-3, and Y1B-20. The basic models have been done since last year, but getting the details right has been difficult. I won’t use that resin again for prototypes, as it is rock-hard and brittle.

Another set of US fighter and attack aircraft of the 1930-40’s is scheduled for late in the year, but truthfully I am hoping to have the master models for the New Year. Our hope is to complete the coverage of Curtiss and slip in 1-2 others for variety.

The Wargame Front

I track the wargaming scene mainly via the respective web sites. Wings of Glory Aerodrome (http://www.wingsofwar.org) does a great job of covering the aviation end and features the models and accessories by Ares Games. Last autumn Ares released two B-17’s and two Lancasters in representative finishes. The web site shows at least two series of 1/200 aircraft for 2015. Those are the Yokosuka D4Y Judy, Dauntless SBD-5 Dauntless, Messerschmitt Bf 109K-4. Republic P-47D Thunderbolt, F4U Corsair, Lockheed P-38F/L Lightning, Nakajima Ki.44-IIb e Ki.44-Iic Tojo, Messerschmitt Me.410. Each will probably be offered in 2-3 liveries.

AIM /Dave Schmid can be tracked via the AIM web site http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin09mm.htm. He is now casting a B-27J and B-17G, and should soon have the Mariner, Coronado, PBY, and some additional B-17 and B-24 variants.

Skytrex now effectively dominates the 1/200 vehicle front . Check in now and then at http://www.skytrex.com for the latest goodies.

Another great source is http://www.theminiaturespage.com , which covers all gaming scales.

The 3D Printing Front

It is probably time to do an occasional scan of agencies that make and market 3D printed miniatures. Shapeways has to date effectively owned the sector, but that may be changing. Read the Shapeways user boards. Shapeways allows designers to list and sell their designs, while centralizing the printing and shipping. I especially like the idea because it does away with inventory. Orders are made as they come in, because there is no physical tooling. A list of the models in my last order will give you a sense of the possibilities when lots of designers can offer their ideas. I found a Bell H-47/Sioux, a set of Zeppelin detail parts, a Wright Flyer, SM-64 Navajo, Boeing Bomarc, Northrop Snark, Martin Mace, Vought Regulus, a British TOG tank, an Aurora spyplane, and the ever popular Soviet Ilya Muromets. A couple of days later I noticed that Masters of Military was offering some coveted super-heavy AFV’s in 1/285, so I contacted him about rescaling those to 1/200. He finished that the next day. Score another advantage for 3D printing! Scaling is not always simple, but effectively the same design can be offered in several different scales.

Shapeways has a search function on its site at http://www.shapeways.com , but be prepared to be creative and persistent. A simple search for “1/200” can turn up many thousands of products, and asking for “most recent “ calls up a strange spread of citations, many of which have no “200” in their listings. I get the most success asking for “most relevant”. After a few visits you will find that searching by designer is very efficient.

The Diecast Front

I am very happy to report that Konishi Seisakusho is again perking along. They are unique in producing their aircraft as lost-wax brass or bronze castings. The only new model I could identify is a very nice VS-22 Osprey. The lost wax method produces incredibly durable castings and remains unbeatable for rendition of fine detail. For some reason a few of their models are quite inaccurate, but those do not ruin an otherwise special collection. <http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~konishi/english.htm>.

Another happy finding is that DeAgostini continues to offer occasional 1/200 models in at least two ranges. Both seem to be sold by subscription like the Atlas Verlag. One comes out of Italy as a series of famous Reggia Aeronautica types in varying scales. I just found a very nice Piaggio 108B in that. Another series featuring Soviet types seems to originate in Russia (the Cyrillic does make one suspicious!) I just picked up a Tupolev TB.1 and Beriev Be-12 Madge from those. The TB.1 is a gem. It became famous for Arctic exploration flights but later served as a bomber and then a logistics carrier. I follow the US and German eBay listings to find those.

The bad news is that the Atlas Verlag Collection 1/200 Silver Classics has stopped. What a shame, just when they were turning out some really great choices. Where else can you find 1/200 scale models of the Fokker III, Focke-Wulf A.16, Northrop Orion, Dornier X, and Boeing Stratocruiser all ready for your display case. Because the models are plated, they also fairly beg for being reproduced by folks who like to detail and paint. I have been asked to sell a complete collection, all in the original packing . The owner wants the original price of 20 Euros apiece, plus postage costs to the buyer. This is a hyper-bargain for two reasons. First, the pricing on eBay shot up immediately when the end of the line was announced. Second, the exchange value of the Euro has dramatically fallen for collectors who live with Dollars US or CDN. The collection is in the US. First come-first-served. Contact me at ron200hbm@gmavt.net.

More bad news is the demise of the Rechlin Collection. Those were a very nice series of German WWII aircraft sold as money raisers for the museum at the old Rechlin test base of the Reichsluftministerium.

Although I confess to the occasional urge to build a display or diorama of an airport, sanity has thus far prevailed. Civil aircraft are almost a whole different hobby, populated by different folks and served by and large by different makers. Look at the web sites of Herpa, Hogan, Gulliver, the online vendors like Flying Mule, Aviation Museum Shop, and Aviation Superstore, or at sites like Peter Vosen’s Wings 200 news site http://www.vosen.de/wings_200_military.htm. There is an incredible choice of well made diecast jet airliners, precisely tampon printed, in every conceivable airline livery. I don’t have the space, spare cash, or interest to collect airliners systematically. One could end up with a full basement with nothing but Boeings of Airbuses (Airbii?) in different color schemes. And behind the major producers there are a number of small producers who offer variants, less popular airliners, and regional aircraft. I am guessing that eventually the choice will begin extending back historically into the prop-liner and mail plane period and from there into military subjects. Some of that is already available, notably from small British producers, but at intimidating cost. I am intrigued by the “Clipper” flying boats of the 1930’s, which is why we recently offered the S-42, M 130, and B.314. However, is surprised to have a couple of correspondents point out that at least the Boeing is already offered in all of its liveries – including the personal aircraft of Sir Winston Churchill operated by the RAF. I am hopeful Chris or Derek can fill us in on those.

The Kit Front

The news from the plastic kit industry is dominated by the Chinese firms like Bronco, Trumpeter, Riich, and Merit, and those are in turn dominated by the 1:200 warships being turned out by Trumpeter. The most recent are a super model of the USS Hornet (CV-8) with both its regular air group and a set of Jimmy Doolittle’s B-25B/C Mitchells for the Tokyo Raid in 1942. Also just out are a BB Iowa based on their earlier Missouri and an HMS Hood. You can also get the aircraft separately under the Merit label. A thrifty shopper, however, will note that if you buy more than a few aircraft at $20+ per set of 4, it is more cost-efficient to buy the entire carrier. We have seen this pattern previously. Put me down for a bet that we will see an Essex Class carrier and a Titanic among the next few issues.

A related observation is that there are a number of firms that do nothing but make photo-etched or cast metal , resin, and laser cut wood detail parts to superdetail the 1/200 warships.

The one styrene kit maker that is regularly introducing military aircraft in 1:200 is Zdezda. They have brought out the Ju 52, Blenheim IV, Ju 88, SB-2, etc. as part of a range aimed at military modelers.

My next post

Coming within the hour is a posting about the giant HBM sale. I have enormous amounts of hobby stuff that has accumulated over the years. Too much of that is models, kits, training devices, books, magazines, that are duplicates or simply unlikely to ever be used again. The forthcoming post is simply to gauge interest and put together a mailing list that gives everyone equal alerts as items are posted.

Ron

Truth, justice and the One True Scale shall yet prevail.
    Hear Hear!

A very interesting, funny, and informative post Ron, even if a bit too near to home in many respects.
    Let's just keep soldiering on.
    Thanks for the review, and I echo Zoe's comments with a heart felt hear hear.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Mini Campaign: The Spring Offensive
    By rkwright in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 04:27
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 10:06
  3. Ohio: FloorWars Spring 2012 21-APR-12 Willoughby, Ohio
    By Jager in forum US Wing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 04:06
  4. Problem with Newsletter