Ares Games

Thread: Is the aircraft quality in the Duel packs representative of the rest of the range?

Andre'

Lightbulb Is the aircraft quality in the Duel packs representative of the rest of the range?

I picked up a Duel pack (Dr.1 vs Camel) last week to get into the game while we wait for my Rookie pledge from the recent Kickstarter to arrive. Loving the gameplay, but to be honest I'm a little underwhelmed by the production quality on the aircraft.
    The paintwork and decals are great and I do appreciate that they are game pieces. Maybe I'm just pedantic because I'm used to building models from a sprue.
    Here are the issues I had:

No 'Camel' hump in front of the pilot. Just normal machine guns there.
    Machine guns left bare plastic light grey. No paint.
    Mould ejector circles under the wings.
    Mould lines everywhere! Esp on the wheels and wing edges.
    Sprue joins left on the model. Most notably on the propeller and and the Dr.1 'wheel wing'.
    Dr.1 propeller was miscast.
    Glue residue overruns left near joins.

Unfortunately I can't post pictures as the planes are now in various states of disassembly in the freezer (breaking down the glue).
    My plan is to clean up all the mould/sprue lines, redo the props (so they spin), replace the pilot blobs, greenstuff a hump for the camel etc; just get them to a better standard. I still want to keep the same paint schemes, maybe just tone down some of the vibrant colours, such as the undercarriage of the Camel (it's a bright yellow for what I assume is meant to be CDL). It's not a major job (hopefully!) but I think it will make all the difference.

My question is are the single packs of a greater quality, or will my OCD to require me to remake them all?
    Do others choose to tidy up thier Ares planes and if so do have any tricks to pass on!
    Regards,
    Andre'

It varies. For a challenge, try the Sopwith Triplane, a model that is so BAD I find it painful to look at. But can be remediated to look very good.

I simply have too many planes to worry any more.
    We have had glaring mistakes such as Albatros struts put on backwards, and the ubiquitous Triplane incident. There was also the lack of cabine struts on bombers, but in the main nothing that can't be rectified.
    The only aircraft of mine that get your full treatment are the ones I repaint and decal as other units.
    They are what they are, and gaming time is too short to worry at that scale over how many buttons there are on a flying jacket.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I agree with Rob , these are game pieces not scale models.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Andre, I wouldn't say you had OCD but what I would say is that we are both model makers by the sound of your posting: Therefore we have high expectations and pay attention to detail more than non-model builders.

I have been 'hitting the sprues' since the age of five and have to admit that when it comes to Ares Games at times I forget that they are originally designed as gaming pieces too. I only go as far as cosmetically altering Miniatures unless a repair is required - if you are an experienced enough model maker then why not bring your skills into this situation?

Please I urge you take some photos of your planned customisation(s) when the opportunity to do so arises. The other thing I find most interesting is placing in the freezer to break down the glue used on them. Please keep us posted and the very best of luck with your plans
    Last edited by Tonx; 05-10-2015 at 07:17. Reason: Typo!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    It varies. For a challenge, try the Sopwith Triplane, a model that is so BAD I find it painful to look at. But can be remediated to look very good.
    Very true. I'm a gamer first and foremost and so for me the quality of most of the WGF planes is fine. But, even I find the Sopwith Triplane so painful to look at I'm tempted to fix it.

I am not a great modeler and for sure can not compete with those in here. I enjoy planes/models as gaming pieces that give you visual effect you are looking for. When I go to the HMGS cons (Historicon/Clod Wars/Fall In) there are folks that use 1/72 and 1/48 model planes. More detail in those but I think more delicate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_7340.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	164626

Here is photo of a game I saw--airfield raid. Great models.

Exclamation

Overall the models are fine for gaming purposes & great value at around $10 US for scouts from Aerodrome Accessories here on the Forum with 2 seaters slightly dearer at about $14. The quality varies from series to series but the later ones seem better.
    If you are after scale perfection Shapeways will give you a better result but at a higher price.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 05-10-2015 at 20:30.

Remediated by Boney10

Remediation for those with no modelling skills

What they should look like

Quote Originally Posted by Andre' View Post

No 'Camel' hump in front of the pilot. Just normal machine guns there.
    Machine guns left bare plastic light grey. No paint.
    Mould ejector circles under the wings.
    Mould lines everywhere! Esp on the wheels and wing edges.
    Sprue joins left on the model. Most notably on the propeller and and the Dr.1 'wheel wing'.
    Dr.1 propeller was miscast.
    Glue residue overruns left near joins...
    I'm always surprised what people expect for 9,99 USD.

Did anyone calculate, what a 1/200 plastic model kit would cost (+ paint + decals + movement deck + airplane card + base + altitude pegs)?
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I've played Wings with my godson [still in primary school]; at the weekend we played a manic bombing mission with 9 rookie pilots; and I, personally, am incredibly ham fisted.
    I'm pleased the game pieces are cheap and cheerful, because it's only a matter of time before one gets reduced to broken plastic.

I am in awe of some of the beautiful upgrade jobs that have been shared in this forum, but for me, adding different decals to expand a squadron is enough.
    Horses for courses.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_7340.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	164626

Here is photo of a game I saw--airfield raid. Great models.
    Cheers Bob.
    That Red Cross Tri-motor has just given me an idea.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The Ares/Nexus models are gaming pieces, and stand up to 10 year olds etc.
    the Shapeways planes are more delicate, WSF will drop 3 feet onto concrete and mostly survive, FUD 12 inches if you are lucky.
    I don't let anyone play with my customised Shapeways, to many additional fiddly bits.
    Valom kits I have found to be incredibly brittle, perhaps because I use superglue for the etched brass struts etc. I pulled the top wing off my own model by accident the other week getting it out of the foam tray it lives in.

At the end of the day, its up to you how far you want to go, and what risks you are prepared to take with your aeronuatical pride and joy.

As Fox said, Horses for courses.

Similar Missions

1. Right so Ive got both duel packs
    By Trumpet in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 14:08
  2. WGF Duel Packs
    By The Scout in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 19:49
  3. Duel packs on sale at CSI
    By Crash331 in forum WGF: General Discussions