Ares Games

Thread: Austro-Hungarian planes/squadrons on the Western Front

Default Austro-Hungarian planes/squadrons on the Western Front

OK, I'll admit that my knowledge of the Austro-Hungarian air force is minimal. Hence the question in this post!

Most - if not all - of the AH air force involvement in WWI seems to have been on the Italian and Eastern fronts.

Did many/any AH planes squadrons operate on the western front? (I haven't yet been able to find any reference that suggests that any did.)
    Were any of the AH-designed planes used by Germany?

(Of particular interest are the Albatros D.III, Aviatik D.I and UFAG C.1, since I have these and and figuring out how best to incorporate them!)

Thanks in advance.
    A

as far as I have read...none.
    Even flying on the Eastern front was limited, at least for scouts.
    The Italian front drew most of the aviation assets of the A-H empire, at least so I've read.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    as far as I have read...none.
    Even flying on the Eastern front was limited, at least for scouts.
    The Italian front drew most of the aviation assets of the A-H empire, at least so I've read.
    Karl
    I would tend to agree. My reading is that AH was hard pressed to cover the Italian front without being able to spare machines for the Western Front.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post

(Of particular interest are the Albatros D.III, Aviatik D.I and UFAG C.1, since I have these and and figuring out how best to incorporate them!)

Thanks in advance.
    A
    Best way to incorporate them is to buy Italian opponents.

I refused a long time to play pure A-H missions, but since 2013 I'm a fan. (Thank you Watchdog )

It's fun to fly Hanriots vs. Aviatiks and to check what other AH/Italian planes we have like Spad XIII, Albatros D.II, Albatros D.III, Caproni Ca.3, Ufag C.I, Fokker E.III & Balloons.

More planes are on the way. Macchi Fflyboats from series 8 and some in series 9 (Phoenix D.I & an Italian Nieuport 11 with rockets).

The RFC had a precence at the A-H/Italian front, too. Maybe it's easier to check how to use your Camels at the A-H/Italian front.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I have always enjoyed playing Italian Front games but have yet to introduce my RFC aircraft as my Italian aircraft don't get enough mileage as it is.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

A few German Jastas served on the Italian Front, too.
    Jasta 1, Jasta 31 and Jasta 39 IIRC.

Zero is the correct answer.
    No AH designs were used by Germany.
    The UK (Camels, RE-8s and Bristfits) and France (Sopwith Strutters, N11s' N17s, N23s, N24s, N27s, Spad VIIs, and others fought the AH.
    28 Sqn (Camel) arrived in Milan on 9 November 1917 and by 28 November had set up home at Grossa;
    34 Sqn (RE8) arrived in Milan on 13 November and also moved to Grossa on 28 November;
    66 Sqn (Camel) arrived in Milan on 22 November and moved to Grossa on 4 December;
    42 Sqn (RE8) arrived in Italy on 2 December and moved to Grossa on 17 December;
    45 Sqn (Camel) arrived in Padova on 20 December and set up shop at Istrana on 26 December;
    the other unit in Italy was 139 Sqn which formed at Villaverla on 3 July 1918.

Thanks for the responses, chaps. It certainly supports what I've found in my own investigations.

I'm probably going to repaint my Holtzmeyer Albatros D.III (unless it turns out to be a model someone is really keen on and can't otherwise get). As for the Aviatik and the UFAGs... well, will have to ponder their future...!

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post

I'm probably going to repaint my Holtzmeyer Albatros D.III...
    I won't do this.

Nobody nows if we get this painting sheme ever again. ...and it's an old Nexus mini.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I won't do that either Alex ... Ludwig Hautzmayer's Albatros is a probable candidate to get its price raised in the next future. More it is a very nice miniature.

You can fetch a few Spad VIIs to be repainted, if you need more Italian opponents for your Ufag, Aviatik and D.III.

Mau

Similar Missions

1. Austro-Hungarian Aircraft on the Western Front?
    By predhead in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-25-2013, 00:46
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 19:14
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 14:22