Ares Games

Thread: Scale question

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Default Scale question

What scale are the WW2 Wings of Glory machines?

What scale are the Axis and Allies Bandits High Machines?

Barry

WW2 Wings are 1/200. I don't know about the other.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    What scale are the Axis and Allies Bandits High Machines?
    Barry
    Amazon says 1:100

Barry

Somewhere i have Zero from A&A BH. It looks to be 1:100 scale.

Rich

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

WGS is definitely 1:200 scale which is compact enough to work nicely as a game whilst still able to offer plenty in terms of Miniature detailing.

I have been told that Axis and Allies uses 1:144 scale last year - I think the name Bandits High was also mentioned in connection with this. Gaming space was the first thought of mine as this could become very clunky unlike WGS gameplay when and if used in tight squeeze environments!

There is another Axis and Allies wargame available in the UK called Angels Two Zero. This uses 1/144 scale same as WGF but is only available as a WW2-based wargame. Despite the larger scale the quality of the Miniatures is not up to the standard which we are used to - for example they come without propeller blades as if to emulate turning propellers I suppose. The following link to E-Bay will give you an idea as to what the starter set for this wargame is like. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axis-Allie...item43cfd1b92a
    Last edited by Tonx; 05-01-2015 at 07:32. Reason: Inclusion of link to E-Bay

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Yes I am aware of the Starter sets, I own one already and some boosters for Angels 20 but I was rather hoping to 'mix and match' from the two different companies. It looks like that won't be happening.

Angels 20 and Bandits High are both nominally 1/100. I used to be in regular contact with designer Rich Baker before WOTC ****canned him and the entire design team after they couldn't sufficiently polish the turd Management forced on them for D&4e.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Angels 20 and Bandits High are both nominally 1/100. I used to be in regular contact with designer Rich Baker before WOTC ****canned him and the entire design team after they couldn't sufficiently polish the turd Management forced on them for D&4e.
    Thanks for the correction there - looks like I was wrongly informed to begin with. Compared with WGS as we know it Angels 20 does look cheaper and the Miniatures IMHO cheap and nasty with no propeller blades. Hence why I like the turd polishing analogy so much - give me WGS any day even if the default packaging on does try my patience from time to time! At least the detail is there to be t-boned if Minis are unpacked carelessly ...

The other thing is, WOTC was trying to cash in on the apparent end of WoW, so they did kind of rush it into production. Problem is, their entire design team was involved on every product, so when they needed a scapegoat because D&D 4th Edition stunk on ice... Rich did pretty good with what the Turdsucker Beancounters (may they all choke on their own fecal matter) gave him to work with on War at Sea, but... well, he was tossed out the door halfway throguh the A&AAFM line design process and it shows IMO--I only had budget for one line or the other and I chose to stand by the team rebuilding what we now know as Ares--and the Buddy F***ers at WOTC are unlikely to ever see another dime from me.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

. o O ( Tell us how you *really* feel, DB.... >;) )

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I have to say that before discovering Glory I did seriously consider starting up an interest in Axis and Allies Angels Two Zero ... But then both fate and a friend intervened on this as I began to dislike the way Angels Two Zero was coming across to me on E-Bay (especially the cheap and nasty looking Miniatures that always was the big one for me) and I spent a month or two distacted from this field of interest playing Bolt Action instead. By the time I turned my attention back to WW2 Dogfight Wargaming I had also met an interesting chap called Stan on E-Bay who had been telling me about 'Aerodrome 1.0 / 2.0 and a possible 3.0' following an aircraft sale. This game uses 1/144 Miniatures and I was telling him about the bombers I have in my collection as there are a few. It was in fact this gentleman who first pointed me in this direction and though I did a full load of research into 'Aerodrome' I will always be grateful to him for his pointer.

As a direct result of this I arrived on the Wings of Glory scene in February 2015 and began to play WGS - which from the word go always came across as an attractive and worthwhile proposition ... Even if some of the Wings of War are a little on the pricey side!!!

Diamondback: Following your experience and the way you were treated by the game's manufacturers I am glad that I selected Glory over Angels Two Zero. Sounds like a very poorly organised and badly thought out show indeed: No wonder the game came across to me the way that it did if this is what was going on behind the scenes. If there is one thing I don't stand for it's that sort of conduct and treatment of people as if they are expendable as a result ... No Thank You and BIG STYLE. Thanks for sharing - that is very interesting to learn.
    Last edited by Tonx; 05-01-2015 at 14:50. Reason: Typo!

Barnaby, it wasn't *me*--WOTC Customer Support always took good care of me in my issues with them as a customer (and I never directly worked for them, though Rich did privately pick my brain about a few things at times), but they screwed over an employee of theirs who was a friend of mine. When you screw over one of mine, I tend to take it even more personally than if you had Done Unto Me directly...

When they have a mind to do it and allow the gamers on the design teams to do things as they see fit WOTC can do and has done some good stuff, but... well, the problem is that their Game Company is "Too Much 'Company,' Not Enough 'Game.'"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Barnaby, it wasn't *me*--WOTC Customer Support always took good care of me in my issues with them as a customer (and I never directly worked for them, though Rich did privately pick my brain about a few things at times), but they screwed over an employee of theirs who was a friend of mine. When you screw over one of mine, I tend to take it even more personally than if you had Done Unto Me directly...

When they have a mind to do it and allow the gamers on the design teams to do things as they see fit WOTC can do and has done some good stuff, but... well, the problem is that their Game Company is "Too Much 'Company,' Not Enough 'Game.'"
    Understood - but still therefore glad to have shown them the door and selected Glory instead because of the way your friend was treated so badly. I share that feeling if friends of mine get treated in this way or similar ... Rather like what I am feeling over this matter as I have really enjoyed following and replying to some of your postings since joining the Drome - the recent one about B-17s in particular. Was still very interesting to learn about this though.

For the record, I'd rather have prop disks than blades, and painted windows rather than clear--transparency loses its realism at around 1/100 scale and below.

Re the Forts, that's an ongoing project--I think it may have to become a Google Docs spreadsheet, since markings changed so many times over the years and the org-chart for the 8th was rearranged so many times.

For the record, I'd rather have prop disks than blades, and painted windows rather than clear--transparency loses its realism at around 1/100 scale and below.

Re the Forts, that's an ongoing project--I think it may have to become a Google Docs spreadsheet, since markings changed so many times over the years and the org-chart for the 8th was rearranged so many times.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I am the opposite - I would rather have prop blades but I think this preference relates more to the fact that I have been building aircraft construction kits since the age of five and my late Father who taught me all about this preferred to have prop-blades too. Possibly for display purposes. But to just have prop spinners without blades or disks like those Axis and Allies Miniatures - nope, that is just cheap and nasty.

Agree with you on painted windows and the effects these have on models above 1/144 Scale IMHO and even some of these can look unrealistic if painted badly. Or painted the wrong colour - bright to mid blue has to be the worst offender I seem to see on a regular basis elsewhere from the skilful repainting I always find myself admiring on here: If I remember correctly the Axis and Allies Miniatures were finally released with all glazing painted quite a ghastly shade of sky blue ... and no propeller detailing!

Only one way to describe ... Yuk!

Blades are better for "parked", disks more representative of hundreds of RPM's in flight. OTOH, once you get below a certain scale, prop blades become "oversized"--in 1/700 they start to look a skosh exaggerated IMO, and I'e never really thought on how far back up that goes.

Myself, I use a light to medium blue against dark backgrounds, a dark sea-blue against light--but I also like to mix a little silver and some clear gloss in on both to give just a hint of "shine". The important thing is the "glass" needs to contrast from the "metal".

I've seen someone who did both -- the mini had a "normal prop"; then behind that was a disc of clear plastic with a hole through the center, and a slit from the center-hole to the rim. The disc was slid behind the prop until the center-hole was around the prop shaft; then the slit was slid around so it was hidden behind one of the prop blades. Some black streaks provided "motion blur".

Similar Missions

1. WWII-A question of scale
    By afilter in forum Polls
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-30-2015, 06:13
  2. Another Scale question
    By skyking20 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 01:11
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 10:06
  4. Scale Pilot's in 1/144 scale and other's