Ares Games

Thread: Unlikely Ace - "Charlie and the Chocolate Gladiator"....

Default Unlikely Ace - "Charlie and the Chocolate Gladiator"....

For a great, fun read involving WWII fighter combat (although ranging over other topics as well), I commend to you Roald Dahl's "Going Solo".

Roald Dahl is the great children's author who wrote "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "James and the Giant Peach", and many other children's classics, some of which have been made into films. But at the commencement of the Second World War, he was a Gladiator pilot in the Royal Air Force, and one who actually made ace! And for a little extra novelty, two of Roald Dahl's air-to-air victories were over Vichy French machines.

"Going Solo" is not (quite) a children's book, as Dahl refers to colorful stories including a pair of British nudists travelling aboard ship with him. It is, however, engagingly written - quite a romp. Enjoy!

Here is Dahl's description of one of his misadventures, appearing in the "Saturday Evening Post" in 1942. It helped launch his writing career (and incidentally, helped his secondary wartime career: that of "friendly spy" in Washington, DC. Yes, sometimes you spy on your allies...)
    http://www.roalddahlfans.com/shortstories/shottext.php

Brilliant little short story Joe. All WW2 Buffs should read it. I'm surprised it has gone six days without comment.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Interesting short there, Joe. How I overlooked it,
    Thanks for posting it.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I shall have to keep my eyes open for a copy of the book. My local library has a copy according to the catalogue.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Nice short story there - I have read 'Going Solo' although it was some time ago now but I would too recommend it to WW2 fans and Gloster Gladiator fans alike.

Roald Dahl also wrote 'Tales Of The Unexpected' which used to be a major UK TV series (shown on ITV) on Saturday nights. Can remember watching a few of them and being scared silly at that age! Definitely not twelve year old child-friendly entertainment!!!

I think he is dead now: RIP.
    Last edited by Tonx; 05-06-2015 at 19:49. Reason: Typo!

Thumbs up

Just picked up on this!
    Interesting stuff as I did not know of his Wartime exploits.

Thanks, all, figured there would be some interest here!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

He wrote a wonderful little short story called "Beware the Dog" that was in an anthology I taught from many years ago - it was part of the 9th grade curriculum - about a downed, wounded RAF pilot during the Battle of Britain, who finds himself laid up in hospital. But things are not exactly what they seem...

A great little read!

All the best,
    Matt

I just bought Going Solo on Amazon Kindle for a fiver.
    Rob.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Just 'stuck' a paperback version in my Amazon cart for $6.50. Looking forward to reading it.

Another author whose autobiography of his military service you might enjoy is George MacDonald Fraser's (of Flashman fame) - while several of his anthologies of short stories 'chronicle' his service in the Med after the war as an LT with a Scottish regiment (and are hilarious), his Burma service is chronicled in Quartered Safe Out Here. It's not flying-related, but it's well worth the read, I think....

All the best,
    Matt

Started reading mine today. It is enthralling, and has lots of colloquial banter from your colonial administrator types.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. " Mossie" The de Havilland Mosquito "a close up"
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 08:19
  2. National Derby 29th: "Where's my wingman?" "Taking pictures Sir"
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 06:33
  3. National: 4 NUOVE ESPANSIONI "CUSTOM" per "Wing of Glory"
    By mumo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 12:58
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39