Ares Games

Thread: Foam?

Default Foam?

Similar to some ideas here, years ago I made a case out of foam sheets and an old briefcase for transporting Battletech minis. Over the years, the foam wore away the paint jobs. Some looked cool, others dilapidated. Bad on me for not using gloss cote.

Has anyone had similar problems with storing WoG planes in foam cases? Do WoG planes come with a decent gloss cote (or other protection)?

Allen

Thumbs up

G'day Allen!
    I use the Aerodrome Accessories foam Hanger Trays & have had no such problem with either the old Nexus or Ares planes nor with my own painted Shapeways ones & I have lugged them all the way to Canberra for Cons & twice a month to our games clubs as well as when I play solo games.

As most of you know I have been using FiC trays ever since we started doing shows, and never had any problems of that sort with either soldiers or aircraft in transit.
    I think you are pretty safe Allen.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've never had an issue with it either (on Wings planes or my own painted minis). I've always used a gloss coat followed up with a dull cote on all the minis I painted though.

I will point out that this possible issue and small pointy bits (pitot tubes etc.) getting stuck on the tiny pores of the standard foam out there is a few of the reasons I went with my new type of foam for the ACE Hangar Trays. The cells in this new foam are so dense, it is almost completely smooth and solid on all sides (including the cutouts).

I use KR mostly, and some Figures in Comfort, and have never had any problems with either of them.

i went for feldherr raster foam trays and bags, as oberst pointed out you have to be carefull leaving some space for propellers least they get stuck inside the foam pores but otherwise they have the best price to quality ratio here in europe imho

I'm using the foam trays "Pick and Pluck" from FELDHERR.

I use them for WGF and for WGS. The grid is 14x14 mm and can be customized to fit the different models.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGS-Tray1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	201530 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGS-Tray2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	201531

As storage case I use the FELDHERR MEDIUM FIGURE CASE with one 50mm high ( for the maneuver decks) and two 25mm-foam trays (for the planes).

Quote Originally Posted by Sashdash View Post

Name:	WGS-Tray1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	201530 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGS-Tray2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	201531

As storage case I use the FELDHERR MEDIUM FIGURE CASE with one 50mm high ( for the maneuver decks) and two 25mm-foam trays (for the planes).
    Sascha where are those maneuver deck cases from?! They're beautiful! I would love to get some myself if they're available.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Lucchini View Post
    Similar to some ideas here, years ago I made a case out of foam sheets and an old briefcase for transporting Battletech minis. Over the years, the foam wore away the paint jobs. Some looked cool, others dilapidated. Bad on me for not using gloss cote.

Has anyone had similar problems with storing WoG planes in foam cases? Do WoG planes come with a decent gloss cote (or other protection)?

Allen
    ironic. i still store a large portion of my mechs in an old briefcase with foam sheets. great minds think alike lol. never had any problems with excessive wear from the foam. a few earlier paintjobs that i didnt spraycoat wore a bit from use and handling. other than that no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    Sascha where are those maneuver deck cases from?! They're beautiful! I would love to get some myself if they're available.
    Glad you like them
    I made them myself. I have already uploaded a template for the new big maneuver boxes in the file area.
    Big maneuver deck boxes

You can use the free and open source software Inkscape (professional vector graphics editor) to customize your boxes.
    I will add the template for the small maneuver deck boxes today.

I am also thinking of uploading the boxes I already customized as Jpeg for those not wanting to use a vector based graphics editor.

If you have Corel Draw (this is the vector based graphics editor that I use) then feel free to send me a PM. I can then send you my original files.

Hi Sascha, that sounds very complicated, can I not just print out the box tmeplate onto thick card then make it up?

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    ironic. i still store a large portion of my mechs in an old briefcase with foam sheets. great minds think alike lol. never had any problems with excessive wear from the foam. a few earlier paintjobs that i didnt spraycoat wore a bit from use and handling. other than that no problems.
    Mechs you say Phillip? They would not be Classic Battletech Battlemechs would they?

I still have 400 of them (metal and plastic) boxed away waiting for the day when I can get the Battletech team back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    Hi Sascha, that sounds very complicated, can I not just print out the box tmeplate onto thick card then make it up?
    Sure, but the problem with printing is that you need a file that you can read.
    I'm am currently working on putting the boxes that I have already made to the file area as PDF-files.
    These you could just print onto thick card an make them up.
    So just give me a little time and they will be there for download.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Mechs you say Phillip? They would not be Classic Battletech Battlemechs would they?

I still have 400 of them (metal and plastic) boxed away waiting for the day when I can get the Battletech team back together.
    ABSOLUTELY! id have to say thats my 2nd favorite game after wings. i dont have as many but ive got quite a few (havent counted em in years but probably around 100 mark {most of which STILL need painted lol}). ive also been trying to revive interest in "the usual suspects" and new players as well but it seems to be something of a dead duck. oh well, i can still play it at least once a year at origins and take satisfaction in how catalyst is keeping the game alive all these years later.

Sascha, those deck boxes are beautiful, great work. Thanks for making them available. REP!

Sure, but the problem with printing is that you need a file that you can read.
    I'm am currently working on putting the boxes that I have already made to the file area as PDF-files.
    These you could just print onto thick card an make them up.
    So just give me a little time and they will be there for download.
    Ahh I hear ya. No problem, I can wait.

REP coming your way, they're beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sascha, those deck boxes are beautiful, great work. Thanks for making them available. REP!
    The Maneuver Deck Boxes are now available in the file area.

Have fun!
    Sascha

The Maneuver Deck Boxes are now available in the file area.

Have fun!
    Sascha
    Great, thanks! Question...I have just started to use plastic card sleeves, will the now sleeved thicker deck fit in your tuck box or is the box just for cards without sleeves? Maybe I'll have to make the cut a bit wider?

Great, thanks! Question...I have just started to use plastic card sleeves, will the now sleeved thicker deck fit in your tuck box or is the box just for cards without sleeves? Maybe I'll have to make the cut a bit wider?
    Hi Peter,

unfortunately the boxes are designed to fit the cards without sleeves.

If you give me the dimensions (height, lenght and depth) of a card deck (incl. the sleeves) I would make you a new template to fit those decks.
    For the big cards an O-deck would be great and for the small cards the L-Deck, because they have the most cards I think.

Regards,
    Sascha

Good idea, I'll try out the deck boxes with the most cards and see if they fit.

I wonder how many out there use card sleeves?

...I wonder how many out there use card sleeves?
    I actually tried using sleevs but preferd the handling without them.

But the downside is that they get weared off when playing a lot.
    It would be great if Ares offered packs with just the maneuver decks to replace worn-out cards.

I actually tried using sleevs but preferd the handling without them.

But the downside is that they get weared off when playing a lot.
    It would be great if Ares offered packs with just the maneuver decks to replace worn-out cards.
    I run a lot of games at shows and want to protect my cards from wear. There has been much discussion on the wish for card sets. Hopefully someday ARES will come around and sell them.

Those are good looking boxes -

I did something similar but decided to make mine fit sleeved cards. I also like putting the plane base inside the box, along with the altitude stands.

Not a very good picture but you can see how it works:

Name:	0721161120.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	202731

Another great idea Brian. I think I'll have to do something similar making them fit the sleeved cards. I don't use the ARES bases but love your working them in.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-22-2016 at 06:18.

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    Those are good looking boxes -

I did something similar but decided to make mine fit sleeved cards. I also like putting the plane base inside the box, along with the altitude stands...
    I also like your idea. In fact someone in our gaming group has chosen the same way putting the base inside the box as well.
    Same like Peter I also don't use the original base because of its conical shape. I find it difficult to lift them up while playing.

What I really like on your boxes is the info on the side showing the bsaic stats

Some very talented young men here.
    Rep on the way.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have just enhanced the PDF files with the maneuver deck boxes.
    You will find two layers. One for the box to fit the cards with the sleeves and one to fit just the cards.
    Just click on the layer you don't want and it will fade out so that you just have to print the box type you prefer.

Hope you like it.
    Sascha

Similar Missions

1. Battle Foam for WGS?
    By Franco Lucchini in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2015, 18:34
  2. battle foam pluck foam
    By Xen in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 01:02
  3. Need to know where to buy packing foam...
    By KevinsHope in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 12:45
  4. Foam Trays
    By AndyT in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 08:25
  5. Looking For Pluck Foam
    By LeBru in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 13:47