Ares Games

Thread: 3D target fans might like these . . .

Default 3D target fans might like these . . .

I spotted these at a hobby shop in Boise and found them all over online. 4D puzzles of famous cities, New York, London, Paris, Berlin are of interest to us . . .

Around 12" x 20" when built they are map puzzle based with add on buildings from different time periods . . . not sure the scale but for ground targets it is not too critical. I could see four of our mats surrounding the city for a fun bomb attack (are there such things? Am I getting a bit jaded?)

Lift off buildings damaged in the raid kind of thing . . .

Here is the link to the source: http://www.4dcityscape.com/

Smile

Now I can see a Clipper built Zepp flying over a glowing 4D London!

I do not think the air raid wardens would approve of 'glow in the dark' but it should be interesting for night bombing scenarios.

The only doubts I have is just how many of the buildings would be in place in 3d by 1916 say?
    Obviously by 1939 there would be far more on the map.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Its a nice idea, would love to see if it would work in play

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Says the regular user of ...

Attachment 163324

... Featuring 3D scenery during WGS gameplay I reckon that with the careful use of aircraft cards instead of and guided by shoelaces across the scenery in a straight line (bomb run trajectory) this idea could be made to work. Especially if the London puzzle does glow this really would be just excellent as the centrepiece of a Glory game with bombers involved. This way everybody knows the guideline or track to follow through the buildings if playing bombers on the offensive / avoids having a Mini or two teetering high upon the puzzle buildings waiting to be broken. Also easy usage of blu tack with the cards to keep them in position ...

What scale are these puzzles - as if Flying Officer Kyte mentions there is a possibility of placing spare Monopoly houses and hotels over any glaring gaps after painting appropriately? There will after all be differences between the years but one would have thought that these puzzles may have been designed cleverly enough to accommodate WW1 / WW2 differences within London and Paris in particular as only a few key aspects changed. Whereas elsewhere like New York although this city was never involved in one of history's Total Wars the changes at the time were quite meteoric. The only city which was involved in a Total War that did change significantly between 1914 and 1939 was Tokyo in terms of demographics and structure.

I have something similar to this idea which I brought back from Dubai showing in 3D how the place has developed from a quiet fishing village into the home of the Burj Khalifa. But the scale is way too small - even though it still looks impressive when laid out in full!

Several years ago i saw an elaborate set for WW1 games. Someone had built 1:72 scale trench system nicely detailed. He had made a Plexiglas top and played his game on that. If you looked down you were flying above the trenches. He used 1:72 planes that were nice, his rules system did not work though. I played two WW2 games and he had a bloodless draw after four hours?

Rich

I am sure that somewhere on here we have a post with such a system photographed Rich, but I have no idea which thread it is in. Maybe one of the other contributors to that thread can point you in the right direction.
    Rob.

Rob

I am sure there are, i forgot my camera that day. That setup was modular an required a van to move. Plus four people to carry and set it up. Not light!

Rich

Sorry I could not be more use to you Rich.
    Just in passing, Eileen and I am coming over to Williamsburg and intend to try and see the Hermione dock at Yorktown if we get our passports sorted in time. I was wondering how far it is from your neck of the woods to that area?
    Rob.

Rich is probably no more than an hour from Williamsburg barring excessive traffic.

Rob

Good traffic day 1 hour. Bad day traffic day 1.5 hours. If i remember she will be at Yorktown in June then up the coast for several events! That is a working weekend for me. i will need to go see it on Friday the5th.

Rich

http://www.yorkcounty.gov/hermioneyorktown/Home.aspx

https://www.yorkcounty.gov/tourism/Home.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    He used 1:72 planes that were nice, his rules system did not work though. I played two WW2 games and he had a bloodless draw after four hours?
    Played a game like that at Enfilade last year -- someone needs to tell the game designers "there is such a thing as 'too much randomness'".

Chris

That might have been it, but the planning and movement system was slow. I observed some firing but most of the game was trying to keep the enemy in sight. I might best describe it as an attempt at flight simulator not a game! When you have to spend half the game trying to read aircraft stats in the rule book, the designer missed something!

Rich

Similar Missions

1. Here's one for Corsair fans!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 13:31
  2. Spitfire fans reunited!
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 09:42
  3. Any space simulator fans out here?
    By Watchdog in forum Officer's Club