Ares Games

Thread: P-38 Pursuit!

Default P-38 Pursuit!

On the trip I made a determined effort to stop at EVERY Hobby Lobby from Phoenix to Boise and back, had some luck on these New Ray P-38's

Now for some painting time, oh elves?

Nice find Dave.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Jealous, jealous jealous. Can only find a couple Thunderbolts, and a Corsair missing its prop here in ABQ. Looking forward to your paint schemes. Good luck!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I picked up a P-47 at the Air Force Museum a couple weeks back, but all the other types they had in stock were the wrong scale...The Dark Side pulls...yes it does...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    The Dark Side pulls...yes it does...
    I can testify to that!

For you Tim it didn't pull. It drugged you, clubbed you silly, threw you in a sack and dragged you far beyond the point of no return.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    For you Tim it didn't pull. It drugged you, clubbed you silly, threw you in a sack and dragged you far beyond the point of no return.
    A fair point, well made.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

Outstanding buy, I managed a little Texas charm on a wonderful lady named Cheryl at the mail order site and ended with 4 of those beauties. My question is , sources for decals. My advancing age and lack of elves has made painting markings out of the question. Please let me in on the secret?

Quote Originally Posted by Gbear58 View Post
    Outstanding buy, I managed a little Texas charm on a wonderful lady named Cheryl at the mail order site and ended with 4 of those beauties. My question is , sources for decals. My advancing age and lack of elves has made painting markings out of the question. Please let me in on the secret?
    My eyes are in their late '50's and my fingertips do not like decals much, so I take any size decals and make a digital copy, then print them to the size I want on sticky label paper. The hard part is cutting them out and sticking them in place.

Great buy indeed, are they 1/144 or 1/200?

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    Great buy indeed, are they 1/144 or 1/200?
    1/200" scale and very nicely done, I am reworking a few to the early version . . .

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

Clipper thanks for the ideas, so my original idea was to find likely candidates in marking books create large digital copies and cut out the marking for reproduction and printing on thin paper and a little white glue.
    Say thanks to the elves!
    Bear

I have gotten a few of these in the past, but none around lately; no Corsairs either
    I went to the closest one today for leather dyeing gear, and all they had was the same (Romanian!!!) Bf-109s they had a year ago.!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I am told by our local Hobby Lobby person that they operate on a sales replacement process on these, so until someone buys the two they stock, they will not restock. To add to the fun the New Ray case they purchase has two mixed sets per carton. I have tried ordering two cases and discovered no p-38's in one and two in another, so the best strategy is to hunt and watch . . . glad I am done for now . . .

Well done, David!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

Hobby Lobby has a mail order / online store. You may or may not be able to purchase individual planes through this site by phone. I called and begged , cajoled and charmed my way to 4 each P38, P47, F6, F4U. Shipped to my home at store retail.
    As I greedily muse over my trove of new mounts and plan out new color schemes I realize that others may want to attempt such efforts. 1-800-888-0321 or outside the U.S. 1-405-745-1275. Nice people , good luck.
    Note: listed as NewRay WW II Fighter Planes on Hobby Lobby webstore su #890517,
    At the bottom is says : if you would like to specify a style plane please contact our Customer Service department at the number above, press 1 to speak to a rep. Do so , but not all at once��
    Last edited by Gbear58; 04-29-2015 at 10:30. Reason: New info

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I am told by our local Hobby Lobby person that they operate on a sales replacement process on these, so until someone buys the two they stock, they will not restock. To add to the fun the New Ray case they purchase has two mixed sets per carton. I have tried ordering two cases and discovered no p-38's in one and two in another, so the best strategy is to hunt and watch . . . glad I am done for now . . .
    Yeh, I was told the same thing; they did a restocking in October for Christmas.....and got the 3 Bf-109s!!!
    The other two close to me haven't gotten a restocking as of last month, so I need to check.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Gbear58 View Post
    Hobby Lobby has a mail order / online store. You may or may not be able to purchase individual planes through this site by phone. I called and begged , cajoled and charmed my way to 4 each P38, P47, F6, F4U. Shipped to my home at store retail.
    As I greedily muse over my trove of new mounts and plan out new color schemes I realize that others may want to attempt such efforts. 1-800-888-0321 or outside the U.S. 1-405-745-1275. Nice people , good luck.
    Hmm....I checked out their webpage (terrible), but didn't find a mail order site.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I might have to ask you not to cross the AZ/NM border so you don't beat me to the next re-stocks...

Similar Missions

1. WGFG: USAS 1st Pursuit Group (Aviation Elite Units)
    By fast.git in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2015, 09:59
  2. NON-Historical in pursuit of "The Blue Max"
    By Captain Knowitall in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 02:45