Ares Games

Thread: OTT ED Mission 11 - Live To Fight Another Day - Nov 15th 1916 (Archidamus / Entente)

Default OTT ED Mission 11 - Live To Fight Another Day - Nov 15th 1916 (Archidamus / Entente)

November 1916 saw the Bulldogs running nearly continuous sorties in support of the Army's operations on the Somme, in what was rapidly becoming known as the Battle of Ancre. This operational tempo had been hard on both pilots and their machines. By the morning of the 15th the mechanics could only make a DH2 and a Nieuport 16 flight-worthy.

Earlier that morning an enemy balloon had been reported in the air some way behind German lines, and the Bulldogs were tasked with bringing it down before it could provide the enemy with any useful intelligence. Capt. Frank Palmer took to the air in his venerable DH2 along with young Daniel Astardly in the squadron's Nieuport 16 armed with rockets to bring down Fritz's sausage!

After crossing the lines Frank and Daniel headed into enemy territory. As the balloon hove into sight they were horrified to see four machines heading directly for them - it was a trap, and they had fallen for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo01.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	163273
    (Jensen and Treiber in Albatros DII's, Wielhe and Gilly in Halberstadt DIII's - diced for entry, with Jensen & Gilly coming on immediately, the other two on card 2 of turn 1)

Name:	Photo02.jpg 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	163274
    (Palmer and Astardly - diced for distance, both coming in at 2 rulers out)

Frank immediately waved frantically at Daniel, indicating that they should turn and run for the lines and safety. Both threw their planes into Immelmanns, but unfortunately for Daniel both Jensen and Gilly were close enough to open fire as he completed the turn - and as bullets ripped through his Nieuport's fuselage he felt a burning sensation in his shoulder.

Name:	Photo03.jpg 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	163275

His plane wasn't fast enough to outrun his pursuers and both Jensen and Gilly continued to fire. Gilly's guns jammed almost instantly, but Jensen's burst tore through the fragile Nieuport, and Daniel's vision faded as he was hit for a second time as a bullet pierced his shoulder. As Frank looked on, unable to intervene, the Nieuport went into a nose dive and seconds later ploughed into a field below.

Name:	Photo04.jpg 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	163276

With heavy heart Frank continued towards the lines, hoping that he would see an opportunity to turn on his assailants and avenge Daniel. Looking over his shoulder he saw both Jensen and Gilly turn towards him, as Treiber and Wielhe continued to pursue the DH2.

Gilly was concentrating on clearing his jammed guns when Wielhe's Halberstadt loomed into view. He frantically hauled back on his controls, and felt a slight bump - he thought he'd avoided a catastrophe, but his undercarriage had hit the top of the Halberstadt's engine, and it immediately began to stutter

Name:	Photo05.jpg 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	163277

Elated at the sight of his enemies mid-air collision, Frank was brought back to the raeality of his position as Treiber's Albatros got onto his tail, and a long-range burst tore holes in the DH2's upper wing

Name:	Photo06.jpg 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	163278

Frank started to weave, trying to throw his pursuer off - to no avail! Treiber continued to track his quarry, and another long-range burst again put bullet holes in the DH2. Almost unnoticed, Wiele turned his Halberstadt towards home and safety - straight into Erich Jensen's Albatros. Yet again, an Albatros undercarriage hit his plane - and this time the top wing folded back as he spun into the ground below.

Name:	Photo07.jpg 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	163279

Frank turned away from the oncoming Jensen, trying to put distance between his wounded machine and the Eagles. He momentarily broke clear, but then they closed again. Treiber managed a long-range deflection shot which peppered his tail and damaged the DH2's rudder.

Name:	Photo08.jpg 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	163280

By now Frank was only concerned with escape -all thoughts of turning on the Eagles was forgotten as the damage to his machine mounted. Treiber poured another burst of fire through the space where the DH2 ought to have been, but Frank's skilful handling managed to avoid this fate - at the expense of giving Jensen a sitting target. Fortunately this only resulted in minor damage, although the DH2's rudder now refused to turn to port.

Name:	Photo09.jpg 
Size:	433.7 KB 
ID:	163281

Those proved to be the final shots of the encounter, as Franks dove across the lines to safety

Name:	Photo10.jpg 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	163282

His return to the Bulldog's Mess was sombre, and the squadron held it's collective breath awaiting news of Daniel's fate - which would come much later on from the front lines when he managed to elude capture and finally reach safety.

The mood in the Eagles' Mess was similarly sombre, but was lightened considerably by the news that Albert Hahn had escaped from the British, and a rescue was being mounted by Peter Büttner's flight.

THE BUTCHERS BILL

Siegfried WIELHE: Downed by Collision / - / 0 Kills
    Crash roll 4 -2 COLL = 2 KIA (A real Oswald Boelcke re-run)

Name:	Photo11.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	163283

Julius GILLY: RTB / - / 0 Kills

Name:	Photo12.jpg 
Size:	479.4 KB 
ID:	163284

Erich JENSEN: RTB / - / 1 Kill

Name:	Photo13.jpg 
Size:	490.8 KB 
ID:	163285

Georg TREIBER: RTB / - / 0 Kills

Name:	Photo14.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	591.2 KB 
ID:	163286

Daniel ASTARDLY: SD ET / 2 WND / 0 Kills
    Crash roll 7 -2WND -1SD = 4 Severely Wounded Skip 4 Scenarios
    E&E roll 7 -3WND -1BEL = 3 Captured & Escaped Skip 1 Scenario for total of 5 Skipped

Name:	Photo15.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	163287

Frank PALMER: RTB (just) / - / 0 Kills

Name:	Photo16.jpg 
Size:	453.2 KB 
ID:	163288

That was not a pleasant experience for Palmer and Astardly

On set up I diced for when the Eagles arrived with 1-3 being immediate, 4-5 on second card, 6 on third card - and got one pair on the first card, the other on the second. Also diced for distance for the Bulldogs, with 1 = 1 1/2 rulers, 2-5 = 2 rulers and 6 = 3 rulers - both came in at 2 rulers distance.

A fun if nail-biting scenario - thanks Dave.

Poor old Siegfried - he wasn't very lucky was he ! DA did much better, all things considered, at least he'll be back at some point.. It could have been a lot worse !
    It was a hairy ride but I'm glad you enjoyed it & Herr Jensen gets his third kill, another one to watch !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Poor old Siegfried - he wasn't very lucky was he !
    Nope, he certainly wasn't - shades of Boelcke I felt

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Herr Jensen gets his third kill, another one to watch !
    I know - what with Hahn making it back I could be faced with three Eagles AI aces before long

Gripping action there old chap.
    Your lads did well to get back to the lines at all.
    It just goes to show that he who fights and runs away etc.
    Thanks for another cracking good read Brian.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

A good escape against the odds Brian!
    I thought the young Nieuport pilot was a goner but lady luck was kind to him.
    Those newish German Pilots need to keep checking their wingman or they will be doing more damage than the Brits!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Those newish German Pilots need to keep checking their wingman or they will be doing more damage than the Brits!
    I think it was the one thing that saved Frank - four AI planes all converging on the one target made for a very crowded sky!

Siegfried so soon ! thought he was a PBI Turns out your mission could be a graveyard for us Bulldogs Great AAR and definitely a mission to look forward to.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Now that is funny Paul.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Now that is funny Paul.
    Rob.

Not half as funny if Newcastle go down, eh Paul?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Well played Brian. You loose 1 you gain 1. The Eagles will soon be back at their best.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Not half as funny if Newcastle go down, eh Paul?
    Didn't like to mention it but since you brought it up

Whew, with Daniel Astardly going down so quickly Frank had the run of his life! A great escape form a deadly trap.

I really like the deliberate trap angle to this story.
    The growing relationship of emnity between the two premier squadrons unfolds...

Another great AAR.
    These scenarios really whet my whistle to get going.
    Reminds me of scenarios played in Richthofen's War back in the '80s.
    Much more interesting when there is a "carry forward" element.

P.S. I like the use of name tags to help keep things straight. I think I will do that as well.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT ED Mission 11 - Live To Fight Another Day - November 15th 1916
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-22-2015, 13:31
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 23:18
  3. AAR Mission 11 - Live To Fight Another Day - November 15th 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-23-2015, 14:49
  4. Replies: 22