Ares Games

Thread: Not So Clear Skies

Default Not So Clear Skies

Does anyone else use clouds in their games ?

I have seen the Litko ones – a bit on the pricey side – and it made me think about them.

To make it worthwhile it probably needs several at least as large as the Litko ones, so does anyone have a home-made method they would like to share ?

Happy Landings

Pete

I use pillow stuffing for the clouds and poster board cut outs for the outline so when planes get into them I lift the stuffing so the plane's position in the cloud is easy to work. I haven't yet made any stands to elevate the clouds but those are on the to-do list.

We do use them in games, but not home made. This I make and sell via the AA store...

They are nice, but $40 for two sets (the minimum I think I would want), plus transatlantic postage, plus import fee plus UK tax means they would cost well over £50 GBP and that's a bit rich for me. (That's the same as 4 single seaters.)

Heh... I like the photo realistic map you've got pictures of...

Yes, after I see how much Salute costs me I plan to buy something like that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by guthroth View Post
    They are nice, but $40 for two sets (the minimum I think I would want), plus transatlantic postage, means they would cost well over £50 GBP and that's a bit rich for me. (That's the same as 4 single seaters.)

No, they are not cheap... but then they are quite big and your actual cost would be much closer to about £35 At least that is roughly what the last set of 2 clouds I sent to the UK cost the guy. Another thing to keep in mind with any accessories (this includes nice mats as well), they will go a long way in enhancing every game you play where more minis may not (cause you will not always use all your minis). So their value is much greater then it appears at first look.

It sounds like I'm being deliberately difficult, I'm not really.

The USD/GBP rate has worsened (from the UK POV) considerably in the last few weeks, and £35 would be about right if you take off the £8 GBP Fee and 20% VAT that any import over about $21 USD will attract. (35+8 = 43 x 1.2 = 51.6)

They look great, and if I had the money to spare I would be interested.

It's another one of those niceties Peter.
    Some do and some don't.
    For myself I like to do the job fully, but some of the homemade mats on here do the job excellently.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yes, after I see how much Salute costs me I plan to buy something like that myself.
    Peter, if you are going to Salute, have a chat with Tim ( Flying Helmut ) his clouds are good and utilise the Litko cloud with a bit extra, they are very effective also.

They are nice, but $40 for two sets (the minimum I think I would want), plus transatlantic postage, plus import fee plus UK tax means they would cost well over £50 GBP and that's a bit rich for me. (That's the same as 4 single seaters.)

Alternatively roghly a fiver for a sheet of foam core or white mounting board from Hobbycraft, add scissors and bingo, as many 2D clouds as you want

Clipper's Cwick Clouds:

Pick up some of this craft foam material at any craft store, they have it in 8.5" x 11" and 11" x 17" in 2mm and 6mm for around a $1 a sheet

Grab a pair of scissors and have at the foam . . .

And you are done! The minis will take a bit longer to produce . . .

You can see some of my pillow filling clouds here.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/att...3&d=1397241672

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You can see some of my pillow filling clouds here.
    So you engage in Pillow Fights? B)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    So you engage in Pillow Fights? B)
    You'd better believe it Chris.
    Rob.

does anyone have a home-made method they would like to share ?
    I googled "cloud" images, printed a few on card stock (i.e. the cheapest photo paper at my local office supply store), cut them out, and voila!

Name:  P1050125.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  227.3 KB

Name:  P1050122.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  218.8 KB

Name:  P1050123.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  202.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Peter, if you are going to Salute, have a chat with Tim ( Flying Helmut ) his clouds are good and utilise the Litko cloud with a bit extra, they are very effective also.
    Thanks Chris!

I hope to have the new, improved MkII ready for Triples!

I'm not taking the MkIs to Salute with me, since they fall into the category of "extraneous crap" (Guntruck will get that one!)

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, Bill - those look marvelous! Well done!

All the best,
    Matt

Exclamation

I like the 3D effect of pillow or cushion stuffing & you can cut a shape to match if you want to lift the "cloud" to allow aircraft to fly through although I just plonk the cloud over the plane.

Name:  Gotha Game chase in the clouds..jpg
Views: 249
Size:  108.5 KBName:  <acronym title=BD 1.JPG Views: 226 Size: 112.4 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  P1010439 - Copy.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  196.6 KB

It sounds like I'm being deliberately difficult, I'm not really.

The USD/GBP rate has worsened (from the UK POV) considerably in the last few weeks, and £35 would be about right if you take off the £8 GBP Fee and 20% VAT that any import over about $21 USD will attract. (35+8 = 43 x 1.2 = 51.6)

They look great, and if I had the money to spare I would be interested.

Oh, no worries. I know you are not trying to be difficult at all. There are definitely cheaper ways to make clouds. One just has to keep in mind that time is money and most other clouds will not last near as long or be as easy to store and transport as the AA clouds. The dial on them allow you to set the vertical depths of the clouds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    or be as easy to store and transport as the AA clouds. The dial on them allow you to set the vertical depths of the clouds as well.
    Unless you are silly enough to personalize them like I did Herr Oberst. Then you get the super clouds you sell with all the trouble of storing them with the fluffy tops as well.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Unless you are silly enough to personalize them like I did Herr Oberst. Then you get the super clouds you sell with all the trouble of storing them with the fluffy tops as well.
    Rob.
    There is that... but they do look lovely!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Thomas
    Sorties Flown

Here's my take on the clouds, if you're interested

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...195#post313195

Default Cheap and simple clouds

My wife came up with this idea:

originally, I cut cardboard shapes to mount them on, but we discovered that the pillow stuffing (batting) is stiff enough to hold it's own weight. This stuff comes on a roll and around $5 will get you half a yard, more than enough for several quite large clouds. It is layered and a pig to cut but looks good when trimmed and tapered.

Name:  IMG_1428.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  111.7 KB

Using plastic wine glasses from the Dollar Tree store that have removable bases, discard the top part and the stem.

Name:  IMG_1429.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  116.4 KB

One base is glued to the underside of your cloud, and a strong plastic straw (these came with a spoon attached for ice cream sodas) is used to connect it to a second wine glass base. They fit tightly enough without glue so can be taken off for storage and transport

Name:  IMG_1430.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  125.9 KB

Total cost $7 and a dab of superglue
    Attached Images   
    Last edited by Albert Ross; 05-20-2016 at 18:40. Reason: duplicate image

Similar Missions

1. Pour me in clear . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 03:35
  2. Clear to me