Ares Games

Thread: E and F manoeuvre decks - missing dive/climb cards

Default E and F manoeuvre decks - missing dive/climb cards

I have recently acquired second hand copies of WoW Famous Aces and WoW Watch Your Back. None of the manoeuvre decks (A-D & E-H) have climb or dive cards in them - I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that the altitude rules weren't included in the original printings, and thus the oldest decks didn't have the climb/dive cards, but I'd completely forgotten until checking through the decks to ensure completeness.

I'm going to add the extra two cards to each deck to 'complete' them. I have duplicate copies of most of these decks with the exception of the E and F decks, however. There are three possible options in fixing this, and if anyone could assist, I'd be obliged.

1. Are the 'dive' and 'climb' cards in the E & F decks exactly the same lengths as the 'straight' and 'stall' in their respective decks? If so, I can create a red-lined dive/climb version from a scan of the straight/stall cards.

2. Are the 'dive' and 'climb' cards in the E & F decks exactly the same as the dive/climb cards in any other manoeuvre deck? If it's a deck I have, I can recreate cards and re-letter them for the missing ones.

3. Is there a high-resolution scan (300dpi plus) available anywhere of the climb/dive cards for the E & F decks, preferably in the WoW style so that they match the rest of the cards present in the decks?

Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

If you're acquiring the old box sets this one may fix itself with a later purchase - the Burning Drachens set was the first to introduce the altitude rules, and included climb and dive cards for the decks in Famous Aces and Watch Your Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    If you're acquiring the old box sets this one may fix itself with a later purchase - the Burning Drachens set was the first to introduce the altitude rules, and included climb and dive cards for the decks in Famous Aces and Watch Your Back.
    Thanks for the info, Dom. However, it's not with any intention of completeness. I had an opportunity to get these in a game trade on another site. I can't guarantee that a copy of Burning Drachens will be similarly available!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

In that case, copying cards from other decks is an easy substitute - the E deck is the slowest speed band, so climb and dive cards from any of the early war types should match (E.III, DH2 etc.) while the F deck is medium speed, the same as many other decks, including B, C, L and M.

If it is correct that the dive card is the same as a straight and a climb is the same as a stall, then it is easy to make copies of those and with a red marker turn them into the altitude cards. At least this will give you cards with the correct letter designation.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    If it is correct that the dive card is the same as a straight and a climb is the same as a stall, then it is easy to make copies of those and with a red marker turn them into the altitude cards.
    Ah, but without having the deck to compare the cards, I don't have that vital 'if'!

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    Ah, but without having the deck to compare the cards, I don't have that vital 'if'!
    Since every other deck is the same I don't see why these would be different.

Option 2 Alex -
    E deck is the same speed as G,P,R,T & will provide climb/dive cards you need - the first three you may have in WoW style.
    F deck is the same speed as B,C,H,L,M,O,Q,S & U decks - the last is WoG only but the others you'll probably have in WoW style.
    Just double check the B deck if you use that to make sure the dive matches the straight for arrow length - there were some that came up short - I know as I have one of them !

Excellent Dave, thank you. That's plenty of different decks to play with to recreate the ones I need!

No problem old chap - have a look at this download in the files it may help out with future deck issues !

Similar Missions

1. Simplified Dive and Climb Rules
    By John B in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-15-2014, 10:59
  2. Turning while diving: various dive cards at Files Section's Maneuvers Decks
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 11:46
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 13:13
  4. "Climb" and "dive" cards?
    By rosscoc87 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 08:41
  5. Steep Climb, slight dive
    By kombofink in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 7