Ares Games

Thread: Booby Trapped Balloons

Default Booby Trapped Balloons

This question came up on a thread in the UK Wing that I thought would be useful here -
    What rules would you use in the case of the booby-trapped balloon ?

For the gasbag going bang - or whoomf as the case may be - the rules are
    "If a balloon explodes (because of an explosion special damage result or because it takes too much damage while on fire), two A damage cards are taken by each airplane within a half-ruler of distance on the balloon's altitude level, and by all airplanes overlapping the balloon at one altitude level just above or below it. Anti-aircraft batteries and ground targets are unaffected by exploding balloons."

But Drew was after something for the sneaky HE packed basket designed to take down would be balloon busters.
    I suggested drawing two cards from the D deck instead of the A's as suggested above - won't guarantee a kill but two boom cards in the mix may make the difference and there is a chance it will miss altogether.
    I then thought you could even have two A's as suggested for the balloon & two D's for the trap - that may seem vindictive but would cover all bases ! My final suggestion was D's & A's at half ruler - just D's at one ruler.

As an addendum I would suggest the balloon can be detonated as soon as an aircraft is in range, or about to be, but to make it interesting the balloon owner rolls a D6 to see when it goes off in the turn: 1,2 = phase 1; 3,4 = phase 2; 5,6 = phase 3; explosion occurs after any firing.

Anyway there's some ideas for all to mull over

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Maybe make the detonation plotted, picking the phase of the turn that it blows. Then if the plane "fakes" in, or doesn't get close enough, it's a sprung trap
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. How many balloons?
    By KiltedWolf in forum Polls
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 11:28
  2. Balloons
    By Redstarny in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 07:51
  3. WoW/G Balloons
    By petho22 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13