Ares Games

Thread: British "Non-com" wins the Iron cross 2nd class

Default British "Non-com" wins the Iron cross 2nd class

Around Christmas last year, A distant relative of mine died of old age, During WW2, My mothers second cousin (Richard Cox) was a non-combatant worker involved in making special cables for a British anti-magnetic mine system called; the "Double L sweep" The basic concept of the device was by sending and electric current through the sea, from one end of a short cable to the long end of a second cable, it would detonating the mines in between the two ends of the cables, Moving on, at the end of the war he spent a lot of time involved in playing cards with a number of servicemen, It was then, he became the first person in my family to win a Iron Cross (2nd class), by holding three of a kind in a poker game, Yesterday I received from my cousin "his medals" in the post as she didn't want them, Attachment 163055

A) Iron Cross 2nd Class (WW1)
    B) 1914-1918 Service Cross (WW1)
    C) 25 Year Long Service Cross (WW2) for the Luftwaffe
    D) 12 Year Long Service Medal (WW2) for the Luftwaffe
    E) Luftwaffe Eagle Emblem

Both C and D can be issued to all three branches of the German armed forces, But only Luftwaffe medals have a flying Eagle in the ribbon, I thought I would share this story with you guys, Also so you can see real medals, as the markets are flooded with fakes. One last thing, I should point out in all fairness to Richard, he did win his own medal, a WW2 Defence medal which she kept for (Old times sake).
    Last edited by andron234; 04-20-2015 at 01:57.

Well, that's one way to do it.

Thumbs up

What a great catch! Well done.

What a very nice present to receive from your second cousin.
    I would get them mounted in a display case and paste their story with all the details names dates if known etc on the back of the box, for your own recipient in the future. Then the story will not be lost and it will also enhance the value of your collection.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Now that is a story, thanks Drew

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

That was a great gift, Drew!

Now that is piece of history in the making.
    See you on the Dark Side......

My mother in law has an WW1 Iron Cross which her uncle 'acquired' from the battlefield.I have been promised it but now she can't find where she put it.... aargh!
    I keep hoping

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I feel for you Chris, I'm still waiting for my 50 point Rep medal, Rob has promised "to look into it" Ill ask him to add your mother in law to his "Hit list"

Very nice little group!

I'll echo what the WingCo said: add the provenance to the collection, and house them in a display case. As well as enhancing their immediate value, the 3-or-4-generations-down-the-line owner will have the whole story at his/her fingertips.

Nice collection and a nice story too

Similar Missions

1. WGFB: Ace of the Iron Cross
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-08-2019, 21:41
  2. National Derby 29th: "Where's my wingman?" "Taking pictures Sir"
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 06:33
  3. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39
  5. Translating British into "english"
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 11:49