Ares Games

Thread: Variant - Simple improved damages

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

Post Variant - Simple improved damages

The first home fix I did to WoW was on the damages...
    Most of the people I played with found, just like me, that the damage planes could take were too high... Games were a bite too long and planes were shooting at each others too many times for historical fights...

So now I play with this easy fix which I am quite happy with :

# Remove all the 0 cards form decks (except the ones with jams)
    # Remove the explosions cards (fix for game play enjoyment)
    # No more +1 to cards. The +1 situations now simply give an extra damage card.
    # Green Jam on deck A, brings to using B damage (the classic popular variant).
    # Two pilot injuries kill the pilot of a single seater, crashing the plane.
    # Hit on Maneuvering (left and right) : remove permanently 4 cards from your maneuver deck having an arrow of the damaged direction. It is not a secret damage anymore, the other players can see you removing the cards and they usably enjoy it hehe (however they don't know the direction impacted)...

All in all these changes make a faster and more fun game I found...

Desaix
    Last edited by Desaix; 09-17-2009 at 21:04.

Those are all excellent ideas, well, maybe not the explosion card, as I really like it when I explode!

The +1 more people I find forget to use than not, so do you draw two cards then?

The Jam is a good idea too.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

Yes, one more damage card instead of the +1...
    So if it is at short range it makes 3 cards, at long range 2 cards drawn...

Interesting ideas. My group does not seem to have troubles shooting each other down. We tend to have 1-2 planes shot down by the fourth turn of the game!

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

I love the jamming idea. Does not tell the other players the direction, but at least you know the guy is on trouble maneuvering.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    Those are all excellent ideas, well, maybe not the explosion card, as I really like it when I explode!
    Maybe you can hide it up your sleeve!

"Hey guys, I just exploded!!!"
    "Huh, How? We're not even playing with those cards?"
    "Well guys, I really like it when I explode!

I can see a bright future for you in the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by Seiseki View Post

ROFL, LMAO!

Very funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Desaix View Post
    Yes, one more damage card instead of the +1...
    So if it is at short range it makes 3 cards, at long range 2 cards drawn...
    That would speed things up, immensely! As with The Col., our group suffers a horrendous shot-down rate (only one player has ever made it to Ace, without dying! - I had four, he had four, I dropped the challenge on his aerodrome - he dropped a wreath on mine later that day .... )

But for fast pick up games, it makes sense.

I like it from the standpoint of not having to do remember to add +1 to one stack and that zero is always a zero or when you don't have a "B" damage deck so you are using half the total of an "A" card rounded down +1...sounds like quantum physics to me which is one of the reasons I play this game...no high math.

But what about the damage for flak or fire from the trenches?

Personally I think the flak might be a bit too good since it always hits, and with less 0 dmg cards it well be even better.

EDIT: I have confused the regular machine gun cards with flak guns, just read the rules for burning drachens and noticed that flak guns are included with specific rules and dmg deck.
    Last edited by Seiseki; 09-22-2009 at 17:28.

Hjortfot

Most of the people I played with found, just like me, that the damage planes could take were too high... Games were a bite too long and planes were shooting at each others too many times for historical fights...

# Hit on Maneuvering (left and right) : remove permanently 4 cards from your maneuver deck having an arrow of the damaged direction. It is not a secret damage anymore, the other players can see you removing the cards and they usably enjoy it hehe (however they don't know the direction impacted)...

Desaix
    We played yesterday with your rules "hit on manuvering" and we loved that one, just discard 4 cards and play on.

I flew a roland cII with left and right damage so I circle around the edge of the table like a vulture...funny for everybody and honest I liked it to.

Try this rule next time you play.

Over and out.
    Last edited by Hjortfot; 09-23-2009 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    our group suffers a horrendous shot-down rate (only one player has ever made it to Ace, without dying! - I had four, he had four, I dropped the challenge on his aerodrome - he dropped a wreath on mine later that day .... ).
    I hear you on that one buddy!! I was involved in a DOW campain with a mate, it went on for about 30+ missions before he won. At one point all 4 of his British pilots on his mission rosta were ace's, one of them had over 16 kills. As for me, none of my German pilots ever got over 4 kills before they were either KIA, died during a parachuting accedents whilst bailing out or they become POW's, only to get replaced by rookies frest out of flying school.

It's fair to say the only resemblance the campain had to history was the over all out come. None of my pilots ever managed to stay alive long enough to get any expreance, or aircraft upgrades, and they certanly did'nt start the war with the combat knowledge of being in the Condor legion. More anoyinly, it was a cold day in Hell when my mate ever lost a pilot, reguardless of how many times I shot him down. He only had one explosion in the campain, his parachutes always worked and his pilots always managed to avoid enemy ground troops and escape back to got old blighty!!

It was a great campain, but really frustrating with the amout of luck my mate had.........god i hate him!!!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

What campaign rules were you guys using ?
    Parachuted in WWI ?

Not WW1 mate, DOW (WW2). The campain rules I was using have been uploaded into the Files of this site in the WW2 campains folder. The parachuiting rules were expermental and just added a bit more fun and gave your pilot a better chance of living after getting shot down.

kannoneer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Seiseki View Post

ROFLMAO That was great!!!

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Coolness

Some great ideas!
    I especially like the gun jam and I want to try it in conjunction with Flash Daves rule about needing 3 straights to clear a jam.
    The hit on maneuvering is another idea that has a lot of appeal. I look forward to trying them.
    Gord

Desaix

Similar Missions

1. Variant - More control of the planes
    By Desaix in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-17-2009, 10:17
  2. Variant -Simple improved maneuverability simulation
    By Desaix in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 13:07