Ares Games

Thread: Reporting for duty

Default Reporting for duty

Long time aviation enthusiast, private pilot, EAA member and historical reenactor. Cut my teeth playing games like this: Attachment 162986 Just getting into WOG WWI with my brother.Attachment 162986
    Attached Images  

Ah, the old dog fight game. This game was a little before my time as a child. Always wanted to pick up a nice copy of it but they do demand a premium price. Stopped looking for one once I got into WOG.
    Anyway, welcome to the forum Bob!......browse around and enjoy.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Bob, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. I have never seen that game. What was it like, please?

Traditional board game sized board featuring some simplified front line terrain images. Simple plane v plane mechanics with generic fighters from Allies and Central Powers using small 3D aircraft on stands. Used cards and die rolling to mange game play. Fun for young kids without a lot of complexity tp master and afforded a " never the same twice" benefit which kept it fun after many plays.

Welcome to the 'Drome, Bob - from Middlesex in the U.K.

I am located down near Joliet, my brother up in Cary. We have any Illinois players within a reasonable distance of the Joliet/Cary axis?

welcome to the drome Bob!!

Name:  DSCN1733.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  152.6 KBAlthough I am planning on making my initial WOG forays over France in 1916-18, I do have an interest in WWII aviation as well. For those who have wished me a "thumbs up" I offer you this:
    Extra points to the first responder to correctly identify the plane.....

Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod. Ah, I have fond memories of "Dogfight". Sadly in a strange closet clearing frenzy it was sold.

Peter: Damn shame!
    Just recovered mine in a spate of Attic-clearing. Happy to say its essentially all there.

Welcome to the drome Bob, is that you in the Avenger (at least I think its an Avenger)?

Give that man a kewpie doll! Bill from Ohio has honors. A TBM appearing at Oshkosh in 2011. Not my plane, but so much fun to get in to!

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard. Yeow, another blast from the past, the only time I've actually seena copy of that game was an old beat-up (and incomplete) copy from a yard sale a few years back.

Thumbs up

G'day Bob & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

Lots of great things to explore & enjoy here on the forum.
    Will look forward to hearing of your first games.

Welcome to the 'drome Bob from a sunny East Sussex on the south coast of England

"He is wise who watches"

It helps to be one of those people who has a hard time throwing things away......

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Bob.
    We have a group in the Milwaukee,Rockford and Aurora area that get together at one of those places. You are welcome to join in when we get together.

Welcome to the 'drome, Bob! I've never seen the "Dogfight" game although I do have a nearly intact but well played "Broadsides" game. I'm in Aurora and would like to meet up. Also, get ready for Rock-con, aka What-Khan 2015. I have run games up there for the last 4 years and hope to run 3 WoG scenarios on Sat. and one on Sun.

Welcome to a most congenial spot on the net.

I like the Grumman TBM-3E (all variants) Avengers very solid. Like you I'm likely to try WW2. For me it would be the Spitfire / Hurricane and Bf109 in Battle of Britain.

Glad to say hello from the Bluegrass State.

Best,
    Mel

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the Drome Bob from across The Pond. The hours of fun you will have on this website and with it's members do well and truly begin here

American Heritage Dogfight - never heard of that one before but it looks good nevertheless!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Name:  DSCN1733.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  152.6 KBAlthough I am planning on making my initial WOG forays over France in 1916-18, I do have an interest in WWII aviation as well. For those who have wished me a "thumbs up" I offer you this:
    Extra points to the first responder to correctly identify the plane.....
    Grumman TBM-3 Avenger. NICE photo. Classy Warbird

Hi Bob - welcome to the 'drome from here in a sunny UK

On behalf of the pilots based here over the pond welcome to the Drome Bob.
    Good to have an experienced pilot join us.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You'll have fun stumbling around the Forum, Bob! It's a great place to spend time

Dogfight was my first exposure to wargaming in the mid-60s - like others, I 'lost' mine ages ago. It would be fun to find a copy at a decent price.

All the best,
    Matt

Hello Bob!!! Welcome to the group!!!

Default Back at ya.

Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    Hello Bob!!! Welcome to the group!!!
    Crashx, either an inauspicious choice of moniker, or an impressive display of sang froid.......greetings from just south of I-80. Whereabouts in Northern Illinois are you based, and do you gather your flight for missions?

Just getting started here, so plenty of rookie learning to do.

I'm located in Loves Park, just north of Rockford. The nickname comes from the many years spent on the city Fire Dept, and the work I did as an extraction technician working at race tracks throughout the country!!! I am also very involved with Boy Scouting and Venturing, so my time is limited. We do gather pilots from Illinois and Wisconsin from Time to time to meet here for what we call Scrambles, of which I am looking for a free date after the end of June to host one!!! Like Michael said earlier, Rock-Con or What-Khan, which ever it is called this year, is held here in Loves Park, IL., usually the end of October to the beginning of November!!! Just watch for Illinois Scrambles, some are held closer to you, and you are welcome to come join us!!!
    Last edited by crashx; 05-05-2015 at 09:29. Reason: correction

Give that man a kewpie doll! Bill from Ohio has honors. A TBM appearing at Oshkosh in 2011. Not my plane, but so much fun to get in to!
    My Venturing Crew will be spending one day at the EAA Air show in Oshkosh this July as part or their adventure week!!! I'm going to show this picture, and get them all excited!!!

EAA bound airmen take note: Stop in at the Warbirds Living History Encampment and ask for Capt. Blecke of the 401GIR. I'll give you the grand tour.

Signed Bob "Too many hobbies" Blecke

Welcome to the friendly skies. "Dogfight" as a starting point...primo! Have a couple of copies...my original, aging and well used....and a couple picked up over the years sitting somewhere in the pile of boxes in the basement. Best intentions....anyway, you have an excellent group around you in Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin. Drop a line anytime you're in the Dayton/Columbus/Cincinnati area...sure we can rustle up a few combatants from Ohio Flights. If you haven't noticed, Origin 2015 is in Columbus in early June....hint, hint, hint.

EAA bound airmen take note: Stop in at the Warbirds Living History Encampment and ask for Capt. Blecke of the 401GIR. I'll give you the grand tour.

Signed Bob "Too many hobbies" Blecke
    As we get closer to the date, I'll let you know when we will be there!!!

The plan is in!!! Our venturing crew will be there on Wednesday, July 22nd!!! They are going to have a B17, a B29, a Corsair, a Lancaster, and oh God, my MOSQUITO!!! I'm glad I will be with my scouts, because they may need to carry me out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    The plan is in!!! Our venturing crew will be there on Wednesday, July 22nd!!! They are going to have a B17, a B29, a Corsair, a Lancaster, and oh God, my MOSQUITO!!! I'm glad I will be with my scouts, because they may need to carry me out!!!
    The Warbirds Spectacular show will be Wednesday afternoon, always great viewing. Good choice of days.