Ares Games

Thread: Two Series 8 Dogfights vs Son#1

Default Two Series 8 Dogfights vs Son#1

I lied. I'm now behind in AARs, since #1 and I just played two with Series 8. This will be a placeholder until I can write up Monday night's game.

We had some time on our hands, so Son#1 and I decided to try out a few of the Series 8 Wings of Glory planes.

He picked this spiffy Macchi M.5 in Italian colors.

I went with the Austro-Hungarian rendition.

They use the Q deck, which is a fun deck to play. It has decent turns, slips, and an Immelmann.

With the Q deck, A guns, and 15 hp, this is right up there with the pretty good fighters in the game.

I hit him for a few points, but that doesn't mean anything. Son#1 is really, really good at Star Trek Attack Wing, so I know I can't pull any punches when I play against him.

And then we trade shots.

Plotting out his next move. He likes to do Immelmanns, so I know if I want to turn this into a joust I probably can. Instead, I swing left.

The battle becomes a spinning dogfight, the two of us whirling around each other.

He gets the upper hand and lands a hit. Engine damage. Drat!

And now I'm on fire, too.

Not expecting to survive the fire, I head for the edge of the board, thinking that might shake him.

But I did survive, so back at him I went!

Of course, the engine damage is hampering my ability to do much.

So, back at him for another round of jousting!

And thus endeth the game.

Lets see if I can at least split this and win the next encounter...

I told him to pick from among the stack of planes. He really thought the dark camo on the Hannover CL.III was cool (and I agree completely, I think his pick is one of my favorites from this series) so he went with it.

And I chose the Nieuport 28. The puts me at a slight disadvantage, against a kid he is pretty good at this. Probably not a good idea, but hey, it is all about fun, and cool looking planes.

I thought I'd swing wide, and use my superior maneuverability.

But my last plot was a sweep to the right, so that muddles things a bit.

Sweeping around and... he does an Immelmann! Okay, I have respect for this W deck his plane uses.

Then as we turn toward each other, he just clips my tail.

And then again.

I do a sharp turn into him, and he does a short sharp turn into me! Wow, I have even more respect for the W deck! And yeah, I'm on fire.

He clips me again as we pass by each other.

And that's it. Down. I made a good show. Nine points on four cards isn't too bad, but he did have 16 hp to my 14, so...

I think the moral of this story is that the Hannover CL.III is a tough bird, and can be quite dangerous in the hands of someone who is good at this game.

FIN

Nice duels, John.

Your youngster shot you down twice.

Great pictures with the new series 8.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Looking on the bright side, at least I didn't draw the explosion, as I am wont to do on our monthly Monday games.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Nice duels, John.

Your youngster shot you down twice.

Great pictures with the new series 8.
    Indeed!

Looking forward to the new planes even more now!
    Thanks for posting.

My younger brother and I had a look at this AAR. We loved it! Great to see those new birds in action too. Greyson has really wanted to see an AAR featuring the series 8 planes. And to tell the truth, I have been quite keen on that point as well. Good show all 'round!

Very interesting seeing these new planes in action John.
    The second set of games I have seen tonight.
    I must get the wrappers off my set tat arrived yesterday and give them a go.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

John, thanks for the great report.

Thumbs up

Great stuff John!
    Good to see the new birds in action.
    Mate you must be giving Rob a run for his money on the number of Fire card you draw.

Thanks!
    Glad you all enjoyed the show.

Barry, when you consider that same plane went down due to fire in last night's game at the game store... yes... you may be correct! Generally, I'm the guy who usually draws the explosion.

Similar Missions

1. Dogfights in Belgrade
    By Пилот in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 00:40
  2. H2 Dogfights/Greatest Air Battles
    By rote Flügel in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 00:04
  3. Do you use two-Seaters for dogfights?
    By Marechallannes in forum Polls
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 15:06
  4. National: Dogfights over Pasadena CA
    By Von Hinnebusch in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 09:50