Ares Games

Thread: An Unusual Encounter

Default An Unusual Encounter

I thought I had caught up, but I realized I was still a game behind in my AARs. Here's one I played with my kids a month or two ago. I call it "An Unusual Encounter."

While flying a patrol over the French countryside...

... we caught an unusual blur of motion over the coast.

They say there are no dragons, but I know otherwise.

His blast of fire falls short. (To be sporting, we allowed the dragon to use his D&D Attack Wing template, but he had to take jam counters before he could fire again.)

We move in for the kill.

But he is one tough beast. (We gave him hit points equal to the sum of our hps.)

Faster than our aeroplanes. (He used his Attack Wing maneuver dial, which made him freakin' fast.)

And more maneuverable.

And as I find out, his tail can deal a considerable amount of damage. (I let him do tail damage, claw damage, and bite damage to overlapping planes.)

It's bite, however, isn't as nasty. (I forget the cards we used, I think bite and claw were B, while tail was A.)

We wheeled round and round.

And did some damage that slowed him. (Special damage, in this case "engine" damage. He had to skip one plotting phase. Yes, we let him plot on the fly, while we programmed three cards.)

His breath weapon failed him time after time. But it eventually set the Tripe ablaze. (His fire was a single B at four, two at three, an A/B at two, and two A at one.)

We riddled the beast with bullets.

We thought that it might flee, but it turned right around and came at us again.

It flew out over the sea.

And, being much faster than us, was easily able to control the encounter.

At least my wingman survived his fire. I was sure he'd plummet to the ground at any moment, but he held tight.

My machine was holding together, too. The beast? It must be close to death.

This should be the final pass, especially since my wingman has run away.

And it was. My Brisfit gave a good account, taking 7 damage on the first shot, but staying relatively unscathed for most of the battle, until the end, when a second 7 points of fire brought me down.

And the dragon... one point away from death.

All in all, the fight was well-balanced, and fun.

FIN
    Last edited by jbmacek; 10-22-2015 at 04:22.

That is a great AAR. I love the creative twist. It reminds me of the Rhodan move, or this....

http://www.rpg.net/pictures/show-pic.phtml?picid=7098

Thanks for the sterling report.

That's the ticket!

Good fun.

Best,
    Mel

Great bit of fun. We should have more of this.
    It reminded me of a Napoleonic encounter put on by the Perry Twins at a show once.
    The French attacked the Prussians in a Graveyard, and just as they drove the last Prussian Jagers out, the graves erupted and the French were inundated by the undead. It was great to see the look on the faces of the French Generals.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just great, John.
    I was reminded a while ago about the dragon scenario in Air War (SPI) on Zoe's King Kong thread.
    So how is the Dragon attack wing game? I thought about buying, but another hobby money-sink

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It reminded me of a Napoleonic encounter put on by the Perry Twins at a show once.
    The French attacked the Prussians in a Graveyard, and just as they drove the last Prussian Jagers out, the graves erupted and the French were inundated by the undead. It was great to see the look on the faces of the French Generals.
    Rob.

Got to love wargamer game masters and miniature artists when they get creative

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I was reminded a while ago about the dragon scenario in Air War (SPI)
    Yeow, there's a game I haven't thought of in years. There's (pun not originally intended, but I realized seconds after choosing this phrasing that it had to be...) a blast from the past.

Two thumbs up mate!

Great idea.......great fun indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Wow! That sounds right up my alley. I'm happy to do the normal stuff, but changing things around a bit can be fun, too. Like the time we played Ambush Alley, and instead of using normal ground forces we played FBI agents versus little gray aliens.

Just great, John.
    I was reminded a while ago about the dragon scenario in Air War (SPI) on Zoe's King Kong thread.
    So how is the Dragon attack wing game? I thought about buying, but another hobby money-sink

Got to love wargamer game masters and miniature artists when they get creative

Karl
    D&D Attack Wing is okay, but I'd rather just play D&D instead.

And wow, I forgot all about that Air War scenario. That game was not in my collection, but a friend had it, and I do recall seeing that when flipping through the rules years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Two thumbs up mate!

Great idea.......great fun indeed.
    Thanks! I've been waiting to do something like this, but I had something else in mind originally. That original idea is still on the books for another day.

Pictures all gone here too, John.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Just checked John's Profile page and all his pictures bar one have gone.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Do we have a site problem here? Two threads where Johns pictures have disappeared from all but one post.

Hope it is nothing serious.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Nothing to do with this site - John's photos are externally hosted (on a Facebook server judging by the URLs) so any issue is there - could be a server down, or possibly a change of privacy settings.

I cannot see his photos either. Curses!

I can see the central powers and triple entente teaming up to defeat those infernal Martian tripods at some point.....

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    I can see the central powers and triple entente teaming up to defeat those infernal Martian tripods at some point.....
    Please stop putting ideas in my head!
    Hmm....I have a friend with All Quiet on the Martian Front minis
    Karl

Yep, my guess it is something to do with Facebook, though as I recall I also lost links to all of my photos during the "Great Hack" of a year or three ago.

Please stop putting ideas in my head!
    Hmm....I have a friend with All Quiet on the Martian Front minis
    Karl
    I've been kicking around the idea of doing something similar, and making my own tripods at 1:144 scale, or maybe 6mm scale.

Yep, it appears Facebook changed the url for the pics. I shouldn't be surprised.

Similar Missions

1. ANOTHER Unusual kite
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 21:33
  2. An unusual kite
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 15:54
  3. Unusual Aussie BE2c Armament
    By Rabbit 3 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 16