Ares Games

Thread: Fokker V.8 the five wing Fokker

Default Fokker V.8 the five wing Fokker

Due to the need for a new high performance fighter Anthony Fokker Attachment 162850proposed a five wing machine, the "Quintuplane" The concept being based on, if a Triplane proved itself superior to most fighters, then a "Quintuplane" should be the next step in design, Attachment 162851The Fokker chief engineer (Reinhold Platz)Attachment 162852, was at first shocked by the design request, But Anthony Fokker was a man of practical knowledge, so the two men started on the blueprints for this revolutionary plane, Working off fuselage from Fokker V.6,Attachment 162853 modification were added to the design, a pair of wings were fitted midway just behind the cockpit, Like the V.6, it was powered by a 120 hp (90 kW) water-cooled Mercedes engine, But Reinhold had in mind to replace the power plant with the upgraded 119 kW (160 hp) Mercedes engine, Anthony Fokker, made two brief flights, As Reinhold watched his plane from the ground, from a page in his diary he makes references to the plane as a "monstrosity"Attachment 162854 later on he would only speak of the design reluctantly, Alas like the V.6 the V.8 was abandoned in early 1918 due to being inferior in manoeuvrability to the Dr.I Triplane, Although never equipped the V.8 was to carry two .312 in (7.92mm) "Spandau" lMG 08 machine guns.

The adage of "if some is good then more is better" only works so far...!

Fascinating bit of info, bravo! This monster is wrong in so many ways.

I had to check and see if it was April Fools Day. Wow!

I think this was mentioned a couple of years back, but I may have seen it somewhere else.
    I know there was also a four winged aircraft.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    I had to check and see if it was April Fools Day. Wow!
    No, it was an actual experimental prototype built by the Fokker company-Fokker himself test flew it a couple of time, and became convinced thereby that it was in fact, as horrible as it appeared to be.

I searched through the forums, and found several references to it, including here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ght=Fokker+V.8
    and here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ght=Fokker+V.8

Armstrong Whitworth FK 10 quadruplane:

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I know there was also a four winged aircraft.
    "

Right you are: the Germans, at least built a couple of experimental quadraplanes: my go-to reference lists an experimental Euler Dr "quadraplane whose top surface was actually full-span ailerons, and whose engine was a 100hp Oberursel." (Rotary-engine). And a not very long-lasting company by the nae of Naglo Bootswerft "had three main wings bracded by N struts, and a smaller fourth surface added on a keel below the Albatros-style fuselage. It had a 150hp Benz was officially type-tested on May 24, 1918, as the D-II, but no more information is available." Finally, there the Friedrichshaven D-II, "which had a 160hp Merceded D III and also crashed on its first flight in 1917."

I cant find a pic of the Euler on the web, but here's one of the Naglo prototpye:
    Name:  Naglo Quadraplane.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  52.2 KB

and one of the Friedrichshafen D-II:
    Name:  Friedrichshafen D-II.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  149.0 KB

And oh, I found this page, listing several allied quadraplanes, as well: http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/...l-quadruplanes

What about this beastie: The Pemberton-Billing PB (numbers various ?!) Nighthawk built at Supermarine to counter Zeppelins - it did fly but was found to be inadequate to the task (took an hour to get to 10,000 ft!)

Similar Missions

1. WSF For the Fokker Company's 100th Birthday, a Fokker D.II
    By jbmacek in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 07:34
  2. Fokker D.VII vs Fokker D.VIIF
    By Mike W in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 14:41
  3. Recent Purchases - Fokker DVII (Goering) and Fokker DVII (Schafer)
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 00:53
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 06:16
  5. Fokker DV `The forgotten Fokker`
    By batesyboy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 07:15