Ares Games

Thread: The Halberstadt C.V with a sting in it's tail

Default The Halberstadt C.V with a sting in it's tail

The Halberstadt C.V, A two man reconnaissance plane built by Halberstädter Flugzeugwerke. Fitted with a Mercedes D.III 6-cylinder water cooled inline engine, 120 kW (160 hp), for greater performance at altitude, with a Service ceiling of 16,600 feet (5,090m) with an endurance: 3 hours the plane had ample time to photograph it's target, Most Halberstadt C.V's had an armament of one 0.312 in (7.92 mm) LMG 08/15 Spandau synchronized machine gun and one 0.312 in (7.92 mm) Parabellum MG14 machine gun on a flexible ring mount in the rear cockpit for the observer, additionally the observer had Grenades and Up to 5 × 20 pound (10 kg) bombs to lob over the side of his machine. Attachment 162689Attachment 162690Attachment 162691Attachment 162692
    But in the case of "Brunhilde" she was fitted with a clever refinement/redesign of the MG08, designed at D.W.M. by Karl Heinemann, features a slim, air cooled barrel, telescopic sight and attached reel for the fast-firing gun’s belted 7.92mm ammunition what a "Sting in it's tail" you can also see the racks on the side for the stick Grenades for harassment “bombing” of enemy trenches.

It was the German counterpart of the Bristol Fighter. Nice pictures!

The Parabellum MG14 was a formidable weapon and carried by most German 2 seaters, bombers and Zeps - they were drum fed (200rd) & could be fitted with a 3x telescopic sight - Brunhildes companion, number 5, in the background of the second shot is sporting one with a scope as well. The others have MG14's too but can't tell if they have the scope.
    Good pics of the weapons at TVAL here

Great pictures Drew. Thanks for posting.
    It would be great to have a duel between my Biff and the Halberstadt some time.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The Halberstadt CL.II we have will give your Biffs the same run for your money Rob !

May well do Dave. I just have not pitted any of these against each other. Been too busy with The early years and WW2 of late. So much to do, and so little time to do it.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great pictures Drew. Thanks for posting.
    It would be great to have a duel between my Biff and the Halberstadt some time.
    Rob.
    You fly the Biff, Ill fly a BUFF

LOOP

Really nice pics.

Bring it on Rob. I'll take up that challenge.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Bring it on Rob. I'll take up that challenge.
    Next time we are in the same neck of the woods then Neil.
    You bring the Stotties and Pease. I'll supply the G&T.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 04-15-2015 at 09:02.

Gauntlet thrown, challenge accepted - should be some more good pics from your next meeting - Flame On !!

26/27/28 May should be in Derby on a maintenance course. Will confirm tomorrow after I check diary at work. Unless you're backing out?

I'll even fly with one hand behind my back for you....

Next time we are in the same neck of the woods then Neil.
    You bring the Stotties and Pease. I'll supply the G&T.
    Rob.

26/27/28 May should be in Derby on a maintenance course. Will confirm tomorrow after I check diary at work. Unless you're backing out?

We'll want gun-camera footage, of course.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Does this mean Rob gets the A/A firing Biff and your CLII is B/B ?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Does this mean Rob gets the A/A firing Biff and your CLII is B/B ?
    Assuming Rob doesn't take the B-A/B one
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Assuming Rob doesn't take the B-A/B one
    Karl
    I only use that one for Home defence against Bombers Karl.
    The B/A should be enough to see him off.
    Rob.

That would be low.
    Certainly would Peter.
    It's the weight of all those extra guns that does it. Remember that Kyte is the one with the sense of fair play, I'm the one that has to win at all costs.
    Rob.

Should be O.K. for that unless Eileen decides to see her bro that week, as it's the first absolutely free one we have in May. Please do not put one hand behind your back, as you will need both to use the fire extinguisher, when my "Biff" catches fire.
    Rob.

Just flying with one hand, the rear gunner can do what he likes.

That presumes that I will be flying right up your chuff then Neil.
    Rob.

I only use that one for Home defence against Bombers Karl.
    The B/A should be enough to see him off.
    Rob.

Catch me if you can....said the lamb to Bo-peep.

That presumes that I will be flying right up your chuff then Neil.
    Rob.

Mary had a little lamb.........................
    and on it she had some mint sauce!

Name:  images957PD8FJ.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  7.5 KB

How did you guess it is my favourite dish Neil?
    Rob.

Mint sauce! Please, pass the horseradish sauce
    Karl

I'm just a poor wolf in sheep's clothing...come to eat you up.

...complete with trash-talk, even.

Great thread, loved the pictures Drew.

I also learned what Stotties, Pease and Chuff is.

I got the expression from an old R.A.F. friend, now alas deceased, who when a vehicle started to tailgate him, always used the expression, " He's driving right up my chuff". i have never forgotten the expression and presume it is common parlance in the R.A.F.
    Rob.

The first references to 'Chuff' or more precisely the 'Chuff Pipe' I know of is Elizabethan English, particularly in the Midlands and North, "That the Devil might ocaisionally reside in the chuff pipe be proven by the noxious gasses that are oft times emitted therefrom"; and a pamphlet from later Elizabethan England in London, where the use of a special tube to blow tobacco smoke up the chuff pipe, was briefly expounded as a remedy for the recently drowned!

Not to be confused with being "Chuffed to meet you old chap"

Thanks for clearing that up John.
    I think?
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

What about a Rumpler with twin rear guns?

Last edited by Grey; 04-23-2015 at 12:41.

Nice, I have one more Rumpler to paint, I better give it a twin stinger!

The Entente seemed to put twin guns on many their 2 seaters as they could, why do we not see this with the Germans?
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-23-2015 at 14:57.

I think this could become a trend Peter!
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Nice, I have one more Rumpler to paint, I better give it a twin stinger!

The Entente seemed to put twin guns on many their 2 seaters as they could, why do we note see this with the Germans?
    Just tack a Lewis gun alongside.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Just tack a Lewis gun alongside.
    I'll definitely be doing that!

...The Entente seemed to put twin guns on many their 2 seaters as they could, why do we not see this with the Germans?
    Gotta love that Rumpler & the slightly smug look on that gunners face !
    I don't know the answer to your question Peter but I would speculate a number of reasons - availability, necessity, ability first come to mind.
    Availability: All mg14 Parabellum production apparently went to aircraft gunners - were there enough available to fit them in pairs?
    Necessity: With 700rpm & 200 round belts did they actually need a second ?!
    Ability: Could a second mg14 actually be fitted on the mount - the size of the drum may have been an issue & would it have been usable if they did ?
    Interesting question though & I'm sure there is an answer out there somewhere - I'm also sure that it came as a nasty surprise to anybody taking that particular Rumpler on - nice find Grey.
    Last edited by flash; 04-23-2015 at 23:26.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Recent reading revealed that the Entente had metal gun rings/mounts, while the Germans used primarily wooden ones. It was a strength to weight issue. Germans tended to compensate by expanding the firing arcs (Hannover CL is a good example).

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep - a wooden gun ring and two big heavy guns with large magazines were an unworkable combination. I read a lovely account of a crew trialling twin guns - the mounting "weathervaned" due to airflow against the guns (and particularly the magazines) before buckling and snapping the ring. The observer did well not to lose the lot over the side....

When the lightened version of the parabellum appeared (the 14/17?) there was the very occasional field modification for twin observer's guns, but it was still a bit iffy and never caught on.
    Last edited by Dom S; 04-24-2015 at 14:28.

Similar Missions

1. Follow that tail
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2015, 12:15
  2. Tail of a Swordfish.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 04:39
  3. General Props attached to the tail?
    By decapod in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9