Ares Games

Thread: Raiders of the last Ark

Default Raiders of the last Ark

I finished just reading "Modern combat aircraft 13" The Harrier by Bill Gunston, I was intrigued into the fate of the famous Sea Harrier only to find they have been sold off (one on e-bay) , But when I saw what happened to the UK Flagship "Ark Royal" I felt a little on the sad side, What would have made a wonderful floating naval aviation museum, is now "Tin cans"Attachment 162662Attachment 162663 What would you have done with the ship?

I can only say it is sad to see any ship go to the breakers yard, but when it is one as Iconic as that, it fair breaks my heart.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hope this is fitting. I just now put this together.

Ark Royal

Her sum is greater than our broken hearts,

Her will shoved seas north and south apart.

Her service magnificent none can refute,

Old Legends stand silent,

“Ark Royal! Salute!”

I have a fond spot in my heart for the Royal Navy.

It is sad but all ships reach the end of their lives. I feel sure that there will be another Ark Royal one day.

Nice sentiment Mel.
    Let us hope so David, and not that it is given to some small insignificant craft.
    Rob.

Right Rob,

From Spanish Armada days to recent history there has been a ship to sail as Ark Royal.

Maybe a newer ship of substance for the good of the nation and no less for the good of naval heritage.

We can but hope Mel.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Right Rob,

From Spanish Armada days to recent history there has been a ship to sail as Ark Royal.

Maybe a newer ship of substance for the good of the nation and no less for the good of naval heritage.
    Hi Mel Meet HMS Queen Elizabeth, the fist of two new British carriers, I just don't like the name (Mrs Winsor) Ill vote for Ark Royal anydayAttachment 163238

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

At least the Royal Navy will have some aircraft carriers (if they can afford it).
    I am pretty sure you'll need them.

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    Hi Mel Meet HMS Queen Elizabeth, the fist of two new British carriers, I just don't like the name (Mrs Winsor) Ill vote for Ark Royal anydayAttachment 163238
    I understand, Drew.

I am struck by the two island design. I think I do somewhat like it, though. Seems all about the business so far.

Rumor has HRH Prince of Wales may relinquish naming the second aircraft carrier hull "HMS Prince of Wales" in favor of HMS Ark Royal.

Best,
    Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    At least the Royal Navy will have some aircraft carriers (if they can afford it).
    I am pretty sure you'll need them.
    Right Brian,

We'll all need the RN's flat tops.

Best,
    Mel

It's good to see that we will have some in the not too distant future.
    Rob.

Rumor has it that "HRH Prince of Wales" will go straight into mothballs as we can't afford to run it, It was only built because the British government had signed a "No cancellation contract with the builder" The British government has pulled out of to many contracts to be trusted now, And now for the big one, We won't have any planes for the "HMS Queen Elizabeth" for the first five years after it's commission, due to cost cutting, also if you check the building plans you will find the carrier has been scaled down in size, so it has less planes on board as a result! Oh for a USS Ford Class carrier

Similar Missions

1. WGFB: Night Raiders of the Air
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2015, 16:51
  2. Raiders of the Lost Boardgames
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-22-2014, 14:03
  3. Doolittle's Raiders Last Toast
    By redcoon2 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10