Ares Games

Thread: Scale model vs game piece

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

Default Scale model vs game piece

After a jaunt into the ww2 side I have managed to find my way back to the pure form and I have taken up working on new paper models. This brings me to a question for the group of paper modelers.
    Do you prefer to make "scale models" or game pieces. To be clear what I mean in terms of paper models, is do you construct your models strictly by the kit or do you make substitutions or modifications to produce a more robust completed piece. I have evolved into the later with wire replacing wing struts and cowls made from paper brads.
    What part of the modelers out there make changes in the kits to speed production or in crease durability?
    Bear

I make game pieces.
    Most paper models need to be reduced to 1/144 scale which is pretty small.
    It is expedient to ignore the microscopic parts.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...s-by-Zakopious

To be honest, I'm not really sure... when I was an active modeler I did a bit of both, though I'm more open to using the old crude "toy-like" early-generation models as gaming figures than some of the newer "fine-scale" kits. (There are exceptions... Minicraft's recent line is largely the old 1/144 Crown POS's but with some dramatic improvements on decals and clear sprues, and their 1/200 Spruce Goose has both the durability of a game-piece and the quality of a contest-entry display model.)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I think ideally I like to find a happy medium - as a modeler I want things to be 'accurate' but I certainly understand a sense of practicality when it comes to being able to 'play' with the piece on a game table...kind of a fine line sometimes that we walk...

All the best,
    Matt

As a former card modeller (planes and ships) I can suggest that there are some techniques you can use that will still allow a display like model that is robust enough to use on the gaming table.
    Firstly I would use thicker paper then what is recommended in the instructions. Usually it is 80 GSM but I would increase this to 100 to 120 GSM. Remember some allowance for the thicker paper is needed when assembling so that things like fuselage of the aircraft meets appropriately on the spine the same if there are any bulkheads/formers these need to be thinned/reduced to allow for the thicker paper. Fuselage bulkheads made out of balsa also will be much stronger than the paper original which can be used as a template for the bulkhead.
    When assembling wings I put a couple of toothpicks end to end to act as a spar with the points at the wingtips this allows a natural curvature of the tips as well as a aerodynamic shape to be made and held for the wing itself. Other materials like a wooden popsicle stick appropriately carved at the ends can also be used. The advantage of these materials is that ordinary white glue or PVA still works fine.
    Undercarriage legs as well as wings struts made with thin paper can be folded around around wooden cocktail sticks or appropriately shaped matchsticks and these will be much stronger than the paper originals without compromising looks.

Quote Originally Posted by pbhawkin View Post
    As a former card modeller (planes and ships) I can suggest that there are some techniques you can use that will still allow a display like model that is robust enough to use on the gaming table.
    Firstly I would use thicker paper then what is recommended in the instructions. Usually it is 80 GSM but I would increase this to 100 to 120 GSM. Remember some allowance for the thicker paper is needed when assembling so that things like fuselage of the aircraft meets appropriately on the spine the same if there are any bulkheads/formers these need to be thinned/reduced to allow for the thicker paper. Fuselage bulkheads made out of balsa also will be much stronger than the paper original which can be used as a template for the bulkhead.
    When assembling wings I put a couple of toothpicks end to end to act as a spar with the points at the wingtips this allows a natural curvature of the tips as well as a aerodynamic shape to be made and held for the wing itself. Other materials like a wooden popsicle stick appropriately carved at the ends can also be used. The advantage of these materials is that ordinary white glue or PVA still works fine.
    Undercarriage legs as well as wings struts made with thin paper can be folded around around wooden cocktail sticks or appropriately shaped matchsticks and these will be much stronger than the paper originals without compromising looks.
    Have you made any 1/144 scale cardmodel planes ?
    They are so small that it would be difficult to incorporate popsicle sticks and toothpicks into the wings.
    I use 32 Lb. paper for my 1/144 scale planes and it works well.
    See: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post94244

Hi Zakopious,
    Most of my planes were 1/72, but I did make a 1/144 Walrus and used thin down (about 50%) toothpicks to strengthen the top wing.
    You can see it in these views:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walrus top.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	164585
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walrus side.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	164586

Good Work !

How did you "thin" the toothpick ?

I simply sanded it down on one side.

Similar Missions

1. A Discussion of Paper Model Scale
    By Zakopious in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 06:31
  2. ideas for a grand scale feeling convention game?
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 11:14
  3. Game time vs ground scale/distance
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 12:15
  4. Lager scale model
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 05:26
  5. Halberstadt D2 card model at 1/72nd scale