Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington, DC vintage plane fly-over next month

Default Washington, DC vintage plane fly-over next month

http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/re...97c884f5b.html

Relevant excerpts:
    begins at 12:10 p.m. on Friday, May 8 over the Lincoln Memorial. Organizers hope to have 70 aircraft flying in the event.
    An assortment of planes will be on display at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center on Saturday, May 9, 2015, from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The center is at 14390 Air and Space Museum Parkway in Chantilly.

Now that will be worth seeing.
    How far from Washington are you Sam?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wonderful, I will have my camera ready!

It would be good to see a video of the flypast.

Darn, I'm going to be in DC (well, Silver Spring, MD) on the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Now that will be worth seeing.
    How far from Washington are you Sam?
    Just a 40-minute subway ride away. I fully intend to be there.

Mischa'
    There are a number of METRO stops in the Silver Spring area depending where you are staying.

I just had an update from the MAM. Five planes from the museum will participate. 1941 Curtiss P-40E • 1944 FM2 Wildcat • 1943 Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina • 1945 TBM-3E TBF Avenger • 1945 Goodyear FG-1D Corsair. It should quite an event!

Rich

I am so disappointed we will be there the Saturday before. (Yay KY Derby party!). My sister lives there and I will have her take pictures for me.

Thanks for the update, Richard-I've only been occasionally checking the MAM site for such.

Sam Last month I post something I received from the Glenn Martin museum in Middle River. They will be having a static display the weekend of May 14.

Bob

Something else that weekend! Never rains but it pours!

Rich

I should be able to see them from my window at work. I had a great view of the space shuttle/747 when it flew over a couple years ago.

Sam

I am a family member at the mam they send me updates on events. Try these links if you are on Facebook.

Rich

https://www.facebook.com/FighterFactory
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milit...um/93673361796
    Last edited by richard m schwab; 04-26-2015 at 04:00.

John

That would be something to see!

Rich

Hope some of you guys take pictures. Also, you think this event will be newsworthy.

Thumbs up

Kelly

It should be very news worthy! No doubt the largest overflight of WW2 aircraft since 1945. I plan on being there when the MAM`s contingent depart here!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Hope some of you guys take pictures. Also, you think this event will be newsworthy.
    Oh, no doubt; and yes, I've arranged to have video capability with me (probably crappy, cell-phone video capability, but video nonetheless).

Notice that the organizers and pilots are avoiding working on that specific Sunday...

The MAM`s five planes left this morning for the flight Friday! The flight is geared for noon if you are lucky enough to be there enjoy!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5050025.jpg   P5050020.jpg   P5050072.jpg   P5050075.jpg   P5050053.jpg  

P5050004.jpg   P5050034.jpg  

I saw that will be landing in Culpeper and Manassas. Lots of things going on the next two weeks

I was thinking this event would be on Saturday. Realizing it is Friday, I need to carve out time in the middle of my day. I don't think I will be able to get downtown. The flight plan indicates that the planes will be following the Potomac River. Perhaps Great Falls Park (which is closer to my work) would be a good place to observe the planes?

David

If you miss them today, they will be at the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center Saturday. The MAM participants are due back Sunday. Here is a link to a live feed for the event.

Rich

http://ww2flyover.org/

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    David

If you miss them today, they will be at the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center Saturday. The MAM participants are due back Sunday. Here is a link to a live feed for the event.

Rich

http://ww2flyover.org/
    It will be live-streamed as well.

The route isn't going to take them near my office... but my office is right on the metro, so... I'm seriously thinking of heading downtown for lunch.

John

A wonderful idea! There is always the ground display tomorrow also, take ride to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

Rich

Grrrrr, it's 10:23 as I type, my girlfriend, who is my ride downtown is stuck in traffic, we should have left already. Grrrrrrrrr...........

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Grrrrr, it's 10:23 as I type, my girlfriend, who is my ride downtown is stuck in traffic, we should have left already. Grrrrrrrrr...........
    I hope you made it.
    I streamed it. A little fuzzy at times, but still gave me chills.

Great photo(s) !

"He is wise who watches"

Well, that was worth every penny of the $7.70 trip on the metro. I think the Mustangs stole the show, but the B-24 and the B-29 were pretty amazing, too.

And I don't know which plane it was, the Helldiver maybe, but one of them had to divert to National airport as he approached the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    And I don't know which plane it was, the Helldiver maybe, but one of them had to divert to National airport as he approached the mall.
    I saw that 2 Avengers & a Helldiver came in together on the feed, and one peeled off, but I couldn't tell on the live-stream where they were in the flight, or why it peeled off. That's the only Helldiver still flying in the world.

USA today has great pictures as well. The pics are at the bottom, you can scroll through them.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...racy/70967724/

I watched from our rooftop. Was a distance away w/o binoculars, but have two observations: (1) you can see the invasion stripes from far away, and (2) the B-29 is BIG!

Seriously big. We were at the base of the Washington Monument, and at one point as the B-29 headed toward us he was pointed right at us. My first thought was, "We better move out of the way." The thing was impressive.
    Last edited by jbmacek; 05-08-2015 at 11:55.

The one peeled off due to a problem and landed at Regan Airport.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image005[2].jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	164478

Here is photo I received of some of the planes at the Culpepper airport.

I ducked out of work for a while and decided to view the planes from a hilltop in Sterling, Virginia on the side of the appropriately named Potomac View Road. I had a good view north toward the river. It turns out I wasn't alone. I joined a handful of other plane enthusiasists. A few minutes after that, the fire department showed up to watch, soon volunteered by the local volunteer rescue squad. Would you believe that the ladder truck actually deployed the ladder to get a better view?

Those of you who were able to get downtown (or, like some of my other friends, worked downtown and went to the rooftops) got a much better of view of planes than I did. I learned that spotting planes is hard. The planes didn't appear from behind some obstacle, they simply materialized amidst the haze in the distance. It was exciting to hear others call out, "I see two! No, three! Coming in straight at us". Using my binoculars, I also was the first to spot some of the planes. I thought about people 75 years ago on the English coast doing the same thing we were doing, but having a lot more at stake. I didn't take many pictures, I was better off just watching with my binoculars. I positively identified a P-38, B-17, and the gigantic B-29. I was most excited to the B-29, which I had never before seen in flight. I was just getting back into my car to return to work, when I heard someone say, "there's a B-29". I leapt out of my car, grabbed my binoculars, and watched it fly by. Alas, it would have been the best plane to photograph, but I didn't.

I had a great time, and I am glad I saw them. I am now even more excited about going to Warbirds at the Beach next weekend.

Sterling VFD using their ladder truck to better view the planes

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	164509

Planes I later identified as B-25s, but couldn't quite identify while watching them (the photograph is zoomed in a great deal)

Name:	IMG_1463.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	164510

I did make it downtown today for the last of the WW II aircraft flyover-missed most of it, due to traffic issues. Ah, well. Got out onto Independence Ave just in time for the B-29 to go almost directly overhead; and then the Missing Man formation, with the P-47 peeling off from the rest of the formation right at our viewing point. Unfortunately, we didn't get the camera up and running. But I will get to the static display tomorrow, so I'll be able to get photos of the aircraft there. The effort was worthwhile.

Some of my pics.

The lone B-29... pretty far away at this point, and scary as sh*t.

The missing man formation. A hush fell over the entire crowd on the mall as taps played.

John

Your photos are great! They make the live feed look bad!

Rich

Thanks, Rich! Glad you liked them!

Were there any Hellcats or Bearcats in the air? They talked about them.

Rich

There may have been a Hellcat, but I'm not up on my Navy planes. No Bearcat. I think I would have noticed that one.

Some video. Mustangs!

https://youtu.be/SZlpDAvMbsU

Great pictures, John!

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Were there any Hellcats or Bearcats in the air? They talked about them.
    Rich
    John's pic #6, immediately following the Catalina, is either Hellcats or Bearcats (very similar from that angle).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Washington Air Museums
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 15:16
  2. Looking for Players in Washington
    By EricKRod in forum US Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-20-2011, 00:25
  3. 18 Sep - 1 p.m.; Old Ft. Steilacoom, Lakewood, Washington - WoW
    By Ritterton in forum WGF: General Discussions