Ares Games

Thread: The Gun camera (Photo recon missions)

Default The Gun camera (Photo recon missions)

Due to the high cost and shortage of bullets used by training combat pilots, a camera manufacturer in early 1915, Thornton-Pickard, had a great idea, why not shoot film instead of bullets, and so the Mark III Hythe Machine Gun Camera was born,Attachment 162243Attachment 162244Attachment 162245Attachment 162246

Using a gun camera for marksmanship practice is only useful if the camera can actually show precisely where the gunner was aiming – and the Hythe took this into consideration. In front of the film was located a glass plate with a reticle (a cross), which would be superimposed on each photograph.Attachment 162252 For initial setup, the film canister could be replaced by a mirror, and the reticle plate adjusted to precisely match the sights atop the “gun”. Now the Pilot/Gunner could actually see if he hit the target getting useful feedback from the pictures,

fitted to both fighters and bombers, it was mounted in place of a machine gun, it replaced the more old fashioned idea of hanging over the side of your plane,Attachment 162247Attachment 162248 It also had the extra benefit of looking like a Lewis Gun gun thus scaring would be attackers

The Hythe worked like the Lewis Gun: The charging handle advanced the film and cocked the shutter, while the trigger fired the shutter. The focus, aperture and shutter speed were fixed. the magazine was retained (empty and didn't serve any function other than bluff) Here we see the "business end" of the cameraAttachment 162249 and the resultsAttachment 162250Attachment 162251

Very much pre-photosniper - what a great idea for training, wouldn't fancy it for combat purposes though - once they worked out you weren't shooting at them you'd be boned !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks for that interesting bit of historical information Drew.
    Now how to work it into a scenario?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Training, blue on blue?
    See you on the Dark Side......

I think I would still prefer to shoot back with bullets

Very Cool!

Thumbs up

Thanks for all that most interesting info Drew!

I knew that they had gun cameras in WW1 thanks to a Biggles story but I did not know any details nor had I seen any pictures. Also I did not know they were used to photograph the enemy. So, thank you very much, Drew.

Similar Missions

1. Scenario #3 Photo-Recon Mission
    By freebird-52 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 10:18
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 07:12
  3. Photo Recon at Arena das Peças!
    By tiagodeividy in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 07:21
  4. Photo Recon Italy AAR