Ares Games
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New ACE Hangar Trays

Any updates on the bag? Also when will the ordering be open back up for these trays I will probably be able to place a big order in a month or so...

The final materials showed up the other day and I'm working on getting the pre-ordered trays assembled. I'm not sure how many I'll get in the mail before I head to Origins on Wednesday, but I'll get as many out as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    Any updates on the bag? Also when will the ordering be open back up for these trays I will probably be able to place a big order in a month or so...
    I've gotten several bags in to check out how well they work with the new trays. I can go into more detail later, but the BF PACK bags talked about above do not work

Trays should be available for regular ordering about mid month (After Origins and I get all he pre-orders out).

LOOP

That is some very welcome piece of news!!!

Thankyou Keith, appreciate all your hard work

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    The final materials showed up the other day and I'm working on getting the pre-ordered trays assembled. I'm not sure how many I'll get in the mail before I head to Origins on Wednesday, but I'll get as many out as possible.
    Keith;
    Please feel free to wait on mine until after Origins. That should lessen your workload a bit
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I've gotten several bags in to check out how well they work with the new trays. I can go into more detail later, but the BF PACK bags talked about above do not work
    Uh-oh....Just a little too wide?

Just and update for everyone. I'm still working through the pre-orders. It is taking longer to assemble each tray than I expected. You will get a shipping notice from the AA site when your order goes out. From the response at Origins (I took a couple of sample trays with me) and feedback from those that have their orders already, you guys are going really like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    Uh-oh....Just a little too wide?
    They are too long for the PACK 720. Since they are much more rigid then the old style of trays, they don't squish enough and the zippers at the top of the bag start to bind and not close. The other bag ( a PACK 300 something) is several inches to long. They would work fine in that bag if you could find some kind of filler to go on one end so that they would not slide around in there.

LOOP

They are too long for the PACK 720. Since they are much more rigid then the old style of trays, they don't squish enough and the zippers at the top of the bag start to bind and not close. The other bag ( a PACK 300 something) is several inches to long. They would work fine in that bag if you could find some kind of filler to go on one end so that they would not slide around in there.
    Looks like I AM going to have to do some needlework

Are there still other bags you are going to test? I would personally like a bag that A) fit your trays without the need for filler and B) opened all the way down the front like the 720...

There are four bags that will meet your requirements that I have on hand. The Army Transport MkII bags will do both of these things as well as the Portable Warfare bag. Out of those two, the Army Transport is the nicer bag. Also, the Battle Foam Sword bag will also work and is a little nicer than the Army Transport bag.

The I can't recall the name of right now, but there is a newer bag on the market. It holds a lot of trays in a single stack, so it's rather tall and narrow. Construction is nice, but the design at the top is not very well thought out. It has a large curve at the top front instead of the normal sharp corner of other bags. This curve means you can't really fill it all the way full. With softer style trays like I used to make, you could smash them down and the bag would close nicely. With the ACE trays, they don't smash down so the bag can't close properly at the top. I'll try and get a photo of what I'm talking about.

LOOP

Grrrrr

I just got my Hangar trays but have allready grown out of them.

When are you taking new orders Keith?

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Grrrrr

I just got my Hangar trays but have allready grown out of them.

When are you taking new orders Keith?
    Hopefully next week!

Got My new trays today, testing it with my BF 720 and it works.....
    Name:  IMG_0515.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  117.2 KBName:  IMG_0516.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  173.4 KBName:  IMG_0517.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  148.0 KBName:  IMG_0518.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  184.0 KB
    Sure the trays are little (maybe 1/8") to long but I can easily close the bag

Sorry for the quality of the pictures.....

Unfortunately you will not be able to close it all the way up with out putting a lot of stress on the zipper once it is full of trays

I don't full with trays, at the top I keep space for plano boxes to keep tokens

LOOP

I got my trays yesterday and they look wonderfull. Even better than I hoped for with 2 exceptions. My DH4:s and RE8.
    My DH4 fits if I press it down into the hole but I am concerned that this will eventually break the prop or tail.
    Had the hole been 1,5 mm bigger or if there was a little cutaway in the front the fit would had been perfect.
    The RE8 is a little harder. The wingconfiguration makes it very broadwinged but with a little cutaway in the front it will fit as well.
    I love the trays So just consider this as a little feedback from a happy customer

P-G

Quote Originally Posted by CH_Brun View Post
    I don't full with trays, at the top I keep space for plano boxes to keep tokens
    Then you should be good to go.

I got my trays yesterday and they look wonderfull. Even better than I hoped for with 2 exceptions. My DH4:s and RE8.
    My DH4 fits if I press it down into the hole but I am concerned that this will eventually break the prop or tail.
    Had the hole been 1,5 mm bigger or if there was a little cutaway in the front the fit would had been perfect.
    The RE8 is a little harder. The wingconfiguration makes it very broadwinged but with a little cutaway in the front it will fit as well.
    I love the trays So just consider this as a little feedback from a happy customer

P-G
    The DH-4 should fit with about 1mm to spare at the front if the tail is resting against the back. It should go in and out with easy. The RE8 is a tight fit. For that one, put the tail in first and use a finger to make a bit more room at the front of the opening by pressing the foam back a little. Set the plane in the hole and let the front of the cutout go so that it close against the RE8.

If you turn the tray upside down, a DH4 should fall right out while the RE8 will be held in place.

LOOP

Maybe my tray is just a little, little tighter than usual because there are no mm to spare anywhere.
    But it is really no biggie. Overall they are just super!!

LOOP

I am aboute to invest in a FE2b. Will that fit into the "large 2 seater"-tray?

Just wondering, do all of your DH.4s fit that tight in all the cutouts on that tray? Are the props aligned and attached properly? Just wondering if there could be some production discrepancies between the mini and the tray that might be causing this snug fit.

I will be making some slight adjustments to some of the trays the next time they are produced. I'll most likely add a little notch in the center of the large 2 seater tray two help out with the RE8 some. It is a balancing act though. Make the cutouts comfy for the largest plane that goes in the tray, and the smallest plane for that tray starts to bounce around too much

As to the FE2b, I could not tell you as I don't own one to check it. The wing span would be really close. The Breguet 14 has a 14.36m wing span and the FE2b a 14.55m span. The FE2b is about a half meter longer than the DH.4 as well. So if a little more room is needed, it would not be hard to shave some foam away with a new sharp hobby knife.

LOOP

I will do some more checking tonight

LOOP

So... Here the result of the Swedish jury...

I have 2 "large 2-seater" trays and my RE8 don't fit in any hole in them but with a little cutting it will.
    I don't know as yet if I will widen the cut for the wings or do a little something in the front.
    My 2 DH4's fit in 2 of the 10 holes. They will fit nicely with a little cutting though.
    Last edited by LOOP; 06-17-2015 at 23:30.

That's really odd as my DH4s go into the cutouts without any real issues... and I checked several different trays. Here is a video showing how they fit and at the end I show putting an RE8 in... one handed even. lol

That's really odd as my DH4s go into the cutouts without any real issues
    I think it is that gentle touch of yours.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

LOOP

Or maybe I'm a coward

There are four bags that will meet your requirements that I have on hand. The Army Transport MkII bags will do both of these things as well as the Portable Warfare bag. Out of those two, the Army Transport is the nicer bag. Also, the Battle Foam Sword bag will also work and is a little nicer than the Army Transport bag.

The I can't recall the name of right now, but there is a newer bag on the market. It holds a lot of trays in a single stack, so it's rather tall and narrow. Construction is nice, but the design at the top is not very well thought out. It has a large curve at the top front instead of the normal sharp corner of other bags. This curve means you can't really fill it all the way full. With softer style trays like I used to make, you could smash them down and the bag would close nicely. With the ACE trays, they don't smash down so the bag can't close properly at the top. I'll try and get a photo of what I'm talking about.
    Keith, the bag you are trying to recall is made by Games Plus Products. I think it's their flagship bag. Like the Sword and Portable Warfare Bag, it lacks a plastic skeleton to support the sides like a Battle Foam Pack series bag. It does have internal support on the top and bottom. It will hold your trays in a single stack, about 16". The material is nice, between the Portable Warfare and the Sword bag. I too now have all four bags you have mentioned. I would rank this bag #1 for its capacity, the Sword bag #2, followed by the Portable warfare and the Army Bag last. I'm am looking forward to my preorder!

Trays arrived this morning - literally a couple of minutes ago. Thanks Keith - now to get the collection down and start transferring them to their new home

Update - all the official minis (and most of the Shapeways models I have) fitted perfectly - I already knew I'd have to deal with the FE2 and the AGO separately . Of course, the biggest issue is I need a second bag now having got all the previously un-hangered planes sorted
    Last edited by Archidamus; 06-22-2015 at 02:54.

Started with my trays over the weekend, within minutes of their arrival actually. Solidly built, actually my biggest challenge was getting the leverage to pull 'em out of the box. (Keith, if I'd known how much wasted space there was gonna be I'd have just asked you to hold my order until I could add another series or two's sets and saved ya a little on postage! )

Now it's a matter of getting a bag and finding something that'll fit into available storage space... right now, the Panera boxes that I keep my collection in will hold six trays for WGF Series 1, 2 and 3 (well, less one DH4 on the Entente box--this is why I wish Ares would stick to only two new paints per release per sculpt, 'cuz at 5 per tray I got an orphan DH4 I gotta find room for!) plus boxed minis for everything left over from Series 4 to current except the Specials, and those boxes when turned on their side fit neatly between the freezers out in my aunt's garage. Problem is, if I play Tetris to do a "flat load" the lid bulges so there's nothing to keep pegs from falling out once the box is rotated vertical for slotting into storage unless I baggie 'em first... if I do the box as a vertical-loader I gain two trays and security, but lose a lot of space presently occupied by boxed scouts and then also have a problem of needing some way to retain everything in the trays--maybe I should sketch out and design a cardboard "sleeve" like the ones my mother's rock-and-gem specimen trays used to come with.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Started with my trays over the weekend, within minutes of their arrival actually. Solidly built, actually my biggest challenge was getting the leverage to pull 'em out of the box. (Keith, if I'd known how much wasted space there was gonna be I'd have just asked you to hold my order until I could add another series or two's sets and saved ya a little on postage! )
    Yeah, my supplier is limited on box sizes that work well with the trays. I've got one that holds about 4 trays, one that holds about 9 and then the next step up in the big one that holds like 20.

The new ACE Hangar Trays are now on the site for general order... while they last!

So I should try to structure my orders in blocks of 4, 9 or 20 at a time then?

Also, a suggestion: Would you consider adding some ID marking so we know at a glance which tray we're looking at before we try to stuff planes in? That was my one issue other than the "6 DH4s, 5 slots" factor.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

LOOP

Order placed...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    So I should try to structure my orders in blocks of 4, 9 or 20 at a time then?

Also, a suggestion: Would you consider adding some ID marking so we know at a glance which tray we're looking at before we try to stuff planes in? That was my one issue other than the "6 DH4s, 5 slots" factor.
    I'm not 100% on those above numbers, I was just roughing it at work that day. Just order the trays you want, when you want them and don't worry about the wasted space in the box

Which trays did you have a hard time identifying?

Order placed...
    Thank you sir!

I now have a new BF Sword bag - with room for more trays

I already need two trays for large two seaters to house my FE2 & AGO (I am housing Entente and CP planes separately) - but was wondering if you plan to produce trays for the new giants when they arrive (HP 0/400 and Staaken)? and maybe for the old balloons (one of which I still have in your old-style tray).

If you are, I'll probably place an order once those are on-line rather than just fill the bag with current trays

Giants will come out later this year. I do not plan on producing any balloon hangars until Ares reprints those as well.

Has anyone received any trays since the end of June, I'm still waiting on my preorder. Is Keith at a gaming convention?

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
    Has anyone received any trays since the end of June, I'm still waiting on my preorder. Is Keith at a gaming convention?
    Dom,
    I tried to redo my messed-up pre-order, and the blue tray foam bottom option was no longer available. So, Keith may have run out of that color,
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Wow, I pre order in April. If the blue bottom is out, that would be a disappointment.

I am out of blue and black bottoms at the moment.

There is also a size issue with one of the cutouts on the Dual Heavy Bomber, B-25 and He111 trays. I Will be having those re-cut and will of course replace any of the incorrect ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
    Wow, I pre order in April. If the blue bottom is out, that would be a disappointment.
    Don, sending you a PM now...

I have over 200 aircraft stored in many different ways and these trays are simply the best way to store them. You will not regret this buying choice.

AshDOG

Any word on when more restock of these trays will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    I have over 200 aircraft stored in many different ways and these trays are simply the best way to store them. You will not regret this buying choice.
    Agreed. I've got a number of several different tray types: pluck foam trays, the older Aerodrome trays, and the newer ACE ones... the ACE trays are far superior to the other options. The foam is dense, but the sides are smooth so they're easier on your models.

I will be purchasing more when Keith gets them back in stock.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like them. The restock foam I order should be shipping out to me on Monday, so hopefully they will be all back on the site at the end of next week or the start of the next.

Furuta

Any updates on when the hangar trays will be in stock?

50+ poor planes need a safe home. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Furuta View Post
    Any updates on when the hangar trays will be in stock?

50+ poor planes need a safe home. ��
    Not until I return from my trip in late October I already have them on hand, but I will not be excepting orders for the Hangar Trays while I'm gone since I have to hand assemble them per order.

Any word on the Dual Bombers, B-25, and He-111 remakes?

Yes there is! Anyone that is waiting on a replacement B-25, He111 and/or the Dual Heavy Bomber trays, your trays are being assembled today and will ship first thing on Monday. Thanks for your patience and understanding on the issues with these designs.

Yes there is! Anyone that is waiting on a replacement B-25, He111 and/or the Dual Heavy Bomber trays, your trays are being assembled today and will ship first thing on Monday. Thanks for your patience and understanding on the issues with these designs.
    Outstanding news, Keith... thank you!

I'm now taking pre-orders for both the Zeppelin Staaken and Handley Page 0/400 giant bombers. If you place a pre-order between now and December 31st, you will same $2.00 off each tray!

Zeppelin Staaken layout

HP 0/400 layout

Shots of some of the other Hangar trays in the flesh to show off the material these are made from

Awesome....pre-order placed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Series 6 Hangar Trays
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 10:57
  2. A review of the WoG Aerodrome WW1 Hangar trays.
    By john snelling in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 15:48
  3. WGF Slightly used Hangar Trays
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 01:41
  4. Hangar Trays restocked.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 15:49
  5. WWII Miniatures Aerodrome Hangar Trays