Ares Games
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New ACE Hangar Trays

Which model ziploc weather tight storage tray are you using?

I would have to check which one exactly but I think this is one of them:
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...age-Box-44-Qt/

They make different ones. This larger one (if it is the right one) can take about 2 stacks of 10+" of foam each. There is a shorter one that is just under 6". One of each and you have over 27" of foam storage and room for rules and such. The rules, I printed scenarios and put them in a little binder, the thing for your plane's maneuvers and damage, other cardboard and plastic goodies and I have plenty of room for balloons when they come out. Plus I hope to get at least a few planes with rockets and no need for additional boxes.

I have my plano for damage decks, tokens and litko stuff. It too fits right in the box. Since it isn't as tight as backpacks but still not terribly loose everything fits fine. I wouldn't turn it upside down though.

OK, here's what I found today about WGS series 6 and AA trays:
    The Thunderbolt and the Bf-109K use the Fast Fighter tray (of course). The Karl is a bit loose, but you need the poker-sized cards slots for the maneuver deck.
    Both the Judy and the Dauntless fit in the Small 2-seater tray.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks for the info Karl

I've been away for a bit so I may have missed it. The new WWI planes. Do they fit in existing Hanger Trays? If you can, can you update the descriptions in the store.

Of course if I missed the announcement please forgive and simply point me to it.

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I've been away for a bit so I may have missed it. The new WWI planes. Do they fit in existing Hanger Trays? If you can, can you update the descriptions in the store.

Of course if I missed the announcement please forgive and simply point me to it.

Thank you,
    Nope you did not miss it, I've just not got around to checking them. But, you post prompted me to do so....

Both the Sopwith and Albatros minis have to go in the Large 2 Seater tray. The Sopwith is a loose, but still safe. The Albatros is snug because the prop and the rear wing tips slightly touch the edges.

The Nieuport fits in the Fighter and the Phönix is a snug fit in the Large Fighter. It's wing tips touch the edge, but not so much as to harm it. The Phönix will also fit in the 2 Seater tray. I think it fits better in the 2 Seater tray, but I'll probably keep mine with the Larger Fighters.
    I'm off to update the product descriptions now.

I missed out on getting the standard size two-seater trays (got a couple of large 2-steater trays instead). But I did measure the Sopwith vs the Roland C-II. Seems like if the Roland would fit in the standard 2-seater tray, so should the Sopwith. Is there another issue, aside from size here?

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    I missed out on getting the standard size two-seater trays (got a couple of large 2-steater trays instead). But I did measure the Sopwith vs the Roland C-II. Seems like if the Roland would fit in the standard 2-seater tray, so should the Sopwith. Is there another issue, aside from size here?
    It's the width Sopwith's wings from front to back. From the leading edge of the top wing to the trailing edge of the bottom wing, the Sopwith is 2~3mm wider then the Roland. You can physically make the Sopwith fit into the standard Two Seater tray, but it will not actually sit into the cutout. The tail has to be pushed down in there first and then the wings have to pressed down until they are wedged into the wing openings. Doing this means it is supported only by the tail and wedged in wings... the landing gear do not touch at all.

They would probably be safe like this, but I'm not sure how years of rubbing the wings on the foam would effect either the leading edge paint or the cutout of the tray.

Oh, of course...cord and stagger. Should have thought of that. Thanks for the clarification.

Does a new batch is scheduled?

Quote Originally Posted by CH_Brun View Post
    Does a new batch is scheduled?
    Yes, sometime in December they should be restocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, sometime in December they should be restocked.
    HUzzah!

Some of the trays are now back in stock. I'm still waiting for the manufacture to cut my last order of tray tops.

WooHoo! Thanks for the update, Herr Oberst.

Hoping to get some hanger trays for my Handley Page and Stakken. They are still showing 'Out of Stock'. Soon Come?

Just an update, the trays are still in production at the factory I sent them some new designs (for a different game) and they have had some issues with the files. So that has held up the whole order.

Ah, well, these things do happen.

Now if I only had some cash!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Woo and Hoo and Order Placed
    Ditto! Thanks, Keith!

One thing I didn't see on any of the hangar tray product pages: the size of the trays themselves?

I know they're mostly 1.25" thick, but the length and width dimensions are a mystery to me.

I have standardized on the Battlefoam large tray (12" x 15.5") for all my storage boxes, but have need to purchase more WoG foam. Was hoping to finally get some now that they are in stock at the same time as I need some storage.

EDIT: I dug around more in the various threads and found an old post that indicates they are (probably?) 7.5" x 13". Is that correct?

EDIT EDIT: Has anyone tried these in Battlefoam Stacker Boxes? I measured mine and it appears to be 13.5" x 16" or so on the inside, so hopefully just enough to fit two of these trays side-by-side. Would be very nice, as I've already got a number of those boxes and despite their offensive price, they're quite nice to use.
    Last edited by surfimp; 04-20-2017 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    One thing I didn't see on any of the hangar tray product pages: the size of the trays themselves?

I know they're mostly 1.25" thick, but the length and width dimensions are a mystery to me.

I have standardized on the Battlefoam large tray (12" x 15.5") for all my storage boxes, but have need to purchase more WoG foam. Was hoping to finally get some now that they are in stock at the same time as I need some storage.

EDIT: I dug around more in the various threads and found an old post that indicates they are (probably?) 7.5" x 13". Is that correct?

EDIT EDIT: Has anyone tried these in Battlefoam Stacker Boxes? I measured mine and it appears to be 13.5" x 16" or so on the inside, so hopefully just enough to fit two of these trays side-by-side. Would be very nice, as I've already got a number of those boxes and despite their offensive price, they're quite nice to use.
    Hi Steve,

My trays are indeed 13x7.5 inches. Do you have the large or medium Stacker Boxes?

Hi Steve,

My trays are indeed 13x7.5 inches. Do you have the large or medium Stacker Boxes?
    The large ones. I'm thinking I'll order some of your trays and see if they fit!

I have "designed" a custom tray layout that works nice for the Battlefoam large trays and holds 10 planes with their cards, but Battlefoam is asking $31 for each one - ouch!!

I can get almost 3 of your trays for that money, with much better foam and a much nicer person/company to deal with.

Thanks sir!
    Last edited by surfimp; 04-21-2017 at 09:07.

The large ones. I'm thinking I'll order some of your trays and see if they fit!

I have a custom tray layout that works nice for the Battlefoam large trays and holds 10 planes with their cards, but Battlefoam is asking $31 for each one - ouch!!

I can get almost 3 of your trays for that money, with much better foam and a much nicer person/company to deal with.

Thanks sir!
    With just about everyone of my products, I tried other companies first and decided that their quality to price ratio was not as good as I could make my self... so I started making them my self. This applies to the foam trays as well. Battlefoam has some nice (if expensive) bags, but their trays are no better than the average tray out there and they are way to expensive.

Based on your measurements above, it looks like you will have .5" left on the long side and 1" left on the double stacked side. If you think you need or want them, I have blank trays that are 1" thick and two of the tray bottoms would make up the .5". We can work out a price for those extras if you decide you want to go that route.

Based on your measurements above, it looks like you will have .5" left on the long side and 1" left on the double stacked side. If you think you need or want them, I have blank trays that are 1" thick and two of the tray bottoms would make up the .5". We can work out a price for those extras if you decide you want to go that route.
    Sadly I just re-measured and the bottom of the stacker boxes is only 12.5" across (by about 16" long). So it looks like it won't work out after all (surely to Battlefoam's delight).

Is there a current recommendation for a side-by-side bag or stackable/packable box for your trays?

Sadly I just re-measured and the bottom of the stacker boxes is only 12.5" across (by about 16" long). So it looks like it won't work out after all (surely to Battlefoam's delight).

Is there a current recommendation for a side-by-side bag or stackable/packable box for your trays?

I have two 44 Qt ZiplocŽ Weathertight Storage Boxs. I can fit double stacked trays. It isn't terribly snug which is great since I use the extra room for the rules, player boards, etc... That even leaves room for a Plano box which I keeps my damage decks, tokens, Litko AA guns, etc. Really with my collection I only needed one box but, oops, I got a little carried away. So now I keep my balloons, giants and heavy bombers in a separate box. I had a custom tray made at Battle Foam that will hold four balloons so if/when Ares releases balloons I have room. so really the second box has plenty of room. If you needed them snug I'm sure you can work something out with Keith but the only need is if you turn them upside down, which I try not to do. They don't really jostle around.

P.S. I should have said that I use Keith's Aerodrome hanger trays in the Ziploc container so we're on the same page.

P.P.S. Old age must be setting in. I didn't realize I said the same thing a few posts up. Sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 04-25-2017 at 10:39. Reason: clarification

The only side-by-side bag that I know of is the Army Transport line.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Keith,
    Any idea on when you will be getting more trays in. It shows you are out of fighter trays and I'm think about ordering more Spitfire MK1 and Hurricane MK1 for repaints.
    I'll be putting these in Game plus bags so your trays should fit.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Keith: I am also waiting with baited breath for your next batch of trays. Are you still making them? At a minimum, I'll be looking for a fighter, large fighter, two-seater, large two-seater, O/400 and Zeppelin Staaken trays. If you sell accompanying bags, I'd be interested in that as well.
    Last edited by shigleym; 01-01-2018 at 19:13.

Yes, I'm still making these and they should be fully restocked soon. I'm just waiting on the different colored bottoms to come in. I've added what I have (no blacks, a few blues, and several reds and lots of yellows) to the site, so if you just need a few of certain colors, you should be able to get those now. As soon as the colored bottoms come in, I'll update this thread.

Will you be restocking Stuka bases any time soon?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Great! I've placed an order! The color of the base is not all that important to me, I just don't want to break a plane while placing/removing it from it's box. I'm also hoping that this will enable me to store all my stuff in a manageable space. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Will you be restocking Stuka bases any time soon?
    I'll try and get some of those this weekend.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Base color doesn't matter to me either, I currently have a pink Game Plus bag empty for my odd planes.

Red, Blue and Black tray bottoms restocked!

For those of you who have the trays, whose bags are you using and which version of the bag? Thanks.

44 Qt. Ziploc Weather Shield Storage Box in Clear

P.S. actually I have two. One just for my giants and balloons (with room left over), the other has all of my planes and a plano of tokens.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 01-16-2018 at 11:51. Reason: Added P.S.

Thanks. Never thought of the tote. I was thinking Sabol or Battlefoam type of stuff. How many can you fit in there Ken? Side-by-side and top to bottom?
    Last edited by BwanaJoe; 01-24-2018 at 20:41.

Around 65 planes (not giants or balloons) plus rules, maneuvers boards (10), printed booklet of player aids (from here), printed booklet of scenarios and good matchups. Plano box (full of tokens, damage/target/bombing cards, flame and fire plastic), another tray of damage/target/bombing cards and skill from aerodrome, and two printed landing strips all fit in one box.

I can check tonight if you want.

P.S. I was going to go with a bag for the trays, but with the number of planes I ended up with that would have been multiple bags, so I opted for the totes. I do use Battle Foam for my X-Wing stuff.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 01-16-2018 at 12:25. Reason: Added P.S.

Oops, I hadn’t read ALL of the posts. I see above you said two stacks of 10+ inches of foam. Think I’ll order one.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Oops, I hadn’t read ALL of the posts. I see above you said two stacks of 10+ inches of foam. Think I’ll order one.
    Just so you know, the giants and balloons do fit, they are just in another box.

Also I use the Aerodrome trays. I like them; bBut something to note. Not everyone keeps each maneuver deck and base with each plane. If you just keep enough maneuver decks and generic bases for what you play, you might save a lot of space using different trays; ones that are just for planes.

Me I use the Aerodrome trays and keep the maneuver cards and most relevant skills with each plane and pilot. Since they are together you can simple grab a plane, it's deck, base and pegs without looking in different places. But, as I said, storing the cards and bases that way uses up about half of your storage space that you could have used for more planes. Other people may want to share their thoughts on this.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Thomas
    Sorties Flown

Just got my order, and am very happy with the trays! Thanks, Herr Oberst
    Ordered trays for all of my bombers and am very impressed with the sturdy design and good overall quality.

Love the tray designs! Will the out of stock trays be making a return?

I was planning to cut my own trays to fill the pair of T&T boxes I’ve got, but your designs look great and will save a ton of trial and error time fitting planes to slots!

Any thoughts on tripod storage?

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    Love the tray designs! Will the out of stock trays be making a return?

I was planning to cut my own trays to fill the pair of T&T boxes I’ve got, but your designs look great and will save a ton of trial and error time fitting planes to slots!

Any thoughts on tripod storage?
    Yes, I'll be restocking the other tray designs. I will also be working on some trays for the tripods. With the manufacturing process on the trays, I would imagine it will be sometime in Nov or Dec when I finally get them in.

Yes, I'll be restocking the other tray designs. I will also be working on some trays for the tripods. With the manufacturing process on the trays, I would imagine it will be sometime in Nov or Dec when I finally get them in.
    These trays sound interesting. I wonder will the trays will fit in the T&T game box. I'm saving up and waiting for a few other releases to place the order for everything.

Looking forward to the tripod trays!

Any chance of trays for BSG?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    Looking forward to the tripod trays!

Any chance of trays for BSG?

Cheers!
    I'll have to design some up for both games for an early 2020 production run. I also need to decide how to do the tripod trays... the Mk. IV is really tall!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Series 6 Hangar Trays
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 10:57
  2. A review of the WoG Aerodrome WW1 Hangar trays.
    By john snelling in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 15:48
  3. WGF Slightly used Hangar Trays
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 01:41
  4. Hangar Trays restocked.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 15:49
  5. WWII Miniatures Aerodrome Hangar Trays