Ares Games

Thread: Table Size

Default Table Size

Hi

I've played a few games but always on a very large table 6 x 4 foot.

While I wait for my starter set to arrive, can anyone tell me what is the recommended size of table for a game ?

I have no doubt a standard answer is any size, but realistically, what would you recommend.

TIA and Happy Landings

Pete

My mat ( a Hotz) is 72x 46 and I find for a larger game it is great . For a smaller game I use WOG mats 1 or 2 of them , 3 is longer than my Hotz but a not as wide

For a simple dogfight, two or three Game Mats (4' x 3' or so).

For a mission, such as there-and-back photographic or bombing, 6 mats (8' x 6' or so!)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Depending on how many aircraft are involved I have found that so far up to three Messerschmitt Bf 110-sized planes will successfully fit within 90 cm x 90 cm. This I was advised when starting out myself was the recommended minimum gaming mat size ... Which it also just so happens is the size of my kitchen table. Compact gaming environment this may be it now sees more Warbird action than my PC does and I used to practically live on my PC playing Warbirds 2015 and the Il-2 Sturmovik dynasty of PC games!

Aussietonka

Dogfights up to 4 planes can easily be done on a single Areas game mat. Just expand from there as you add more planes. Some scenarios do work better with more mats though.

With the later faster planes like P 51s and FW 190 because they use bigger cards I tend to need 2 mats , or your 6x4 table even in a small dogfight.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I'd suggest 4x3 minimum Pete, it really depends on numbers involved and the scenario type. 6x4 is fine too but depending on those variables can leave a lot of dead space - though I have been known to fill most of one before now !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_5060.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	162197
    62 if you're interested !
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Solo-Madness-!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Smile

I tend to always use at least two of the Nexus/Ares mats for WW1 but for WW2 I have a blue single bed sheet doubled for Pacific games & add Islands for scenery or use a heavy paper mat Carl-Brisgamer made for Cancon one year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBS5 first blood.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	162240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGS Cancon 1.jpg  Views: 94  Size: 157.8 KB  ID: 162241" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I have a ping-pong table in the basement that we play on, Peter, and we usually keep to one side - two Ares mats will do nicely for that. We're usually flying between 2 and 6 planes, and that works wonderfully.

All the best,
    Matt

Similar Missions

1. WSF Just off the painting table
    By chimpchoker in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 17:21
  2. Ken's new game table
    By CappyTom in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 17:57
  3. Flying Off the Table