Ares Games

Thread: Clipper in Search for the Lost B-17C's . . .

Default Clipper in Search for the Lost B-17C's . . .

A saga of exploration, danger, and a story of lost hope restored, not for the faint of heart . . . It begins with a legend of lost bombers, and starts with a door:

This door. All who enter here must give up all hope of returning whole . . . through the door the shadows lift, like the discovery of Tut's treasures, the light dances on things long lost, long forgotten, long undusted . . .

Enter the garage of doom . . . some would call it clutter others might call it chaos, but to the elves it is the amusement park of things yet to be made . . .

The very walls are covered with models of future past . . .

The ceilings drip with stalactites of ancient things that once danced in the sky . . .

Things caught in the climb to freedom . . .

Things awaiting their turn to fly . . .

Closer we come to things of a 1/144" nature, all have seen the day and rest in rows to slumber and dream . . . if future flights of fancy . . .

One can almost hear the wind and the roar of the propellers pulling . . .

Some await the crew chief's attention for repairs and parts . . .

Tiny friends dusted with a snow that never melts

Era meets era and finds a place on the memory of shelves . . .

Yet we have a mission and the elves become excited, we are close to the edge,

Yes! The land of the lost 1/144! Dorneir and Albatros we remember being here long ago, before the Great War! What is this? A tip, a wing of silver!

Discovery! Sweet Rescue!

They exist! The legend is true! Hope arises, will they? Can their tired wings lift the load of time that covers them so well? Will our tale of venture continue? Tune in again when you will hear the elven kings proclaim the day of the C!

Man you really need to clean out the garage! But first Mrs. Clipper would like the dining room table for Easter Dinner, YIKES!

Dave, you'd send more than one poster on several plane-modeling sites I used to frequent into full-metal Bitchy Little Girl mode over the size of your stash compared to theirs... LOL
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Nice treasure hunt, David!

Interesting insight.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This is sort of like when Dorothy opens the house door and steps into Oz...

Mrs. Clipper is going to be pressed to reclaim the table for Easter Dinner. But I bet the elves are willing to help her even more than they're at your beck and call, eh?!

All the best,
    Matt

"Wonderful things!"

Dang David; what a treasure trove!
    I love the wall mount display for the planes
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Holy C++p!!!!!!

How many planes???????

What a wonderful quest (and collection!)

Smile

Dave

I think i spotted the Arch of the Covenant in there also!

Rich

Great way to display planes with your wingtip shelves. Genius.

David I recon you have more planes there than at the Ariziona boneyard

Thumbs up

Ye Gods! The term "Aladdin's Cave" immediately springs to mind!

The slat shelves are made from wooden yardsticks from the local mega lumber mart. It helps to paint them before assembly . . . spaces are the same size yardsticks cut in half the long way and glued alternately to the full width ones. Looks rather cool indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    David I recon you have more planes there than at the Ariziona boneyard
    There are well over 2,000 models in all (not counting my WOW/WOG), most are in boxes. I did 20 B-24's and B-17's in 1/48 scale plastics for a display 20 years ago and I haven't seen them in 10 years-they are out there somewhere, 300+ WWII German planes in 1/72 scale-everything recorded in William Green's Wings of the Luftwaffe were built and many scratch builts . . . Also all my free flight duration and scale models in full boxes as well as a lot of indoor free flight models, then there are the control line and r/c models . . . my aviation library and . . . man I really need to sift through it all! It is amazing what one can accumulate as an aviation fan for 59 years . . . then there is my dad's collection I will one day inherit, he keeps telling me to visit with a truck and trailer . . . yikes!

I take it that the car isn't under all that lot? Most impressive collection Dave
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

No wonder the Elves love you. It's better than Santa's grotto.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Having done Estate Work before: I do *NOT* envy the poor souls who will be doing *that* job....

That's what having a takedown plan while you're still alive is for, Chris... though having no heirs and no friends likely to outlive me in this hemisphere, I have no idea what fate awaits my own collection.

Maybe if I get tenure a bequest to my employing History Department, or maybe a local museum with a wargaming program.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

GREAT post!

Even a Regia Aeronautica B-24, a legendary one!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itaB24.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	161945

LOOP

That IS the door to the the hidden treasurecave!!!
    Is there anything that you haven't built???

Impressive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    That's what having a takedown plan while you're still alive is for, Chris...
    Yes -- and none of the people I did it for had one, whether through unexpectedness of demise, or simple lack of forethought.

Idea, Chris... based on your experience, would you mind putting heads together about drafting a template for such a plan that our crewmates can use as a base and adapt to their own needs as they see fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Idea, Chris... based on your experience, would you mind putting heads together about drafting a template for such a plan that our crewmates can use as a base and adapt to their own needs as they see fit?
    I can't really provide anything besides some "broad strokes" notions -- I'm not trained in such things, save via The School of Hard Knocks.

First, of course: LABEL STUFF. Having everything in boxes is nice, but knowing what items are in which boxes is so much more helpful. A friend of mine in Omaha is like this -- all his stuff is in boxes; all the boxes have labels on the lids saying what is (or should be) in them. If he moves, or if something happens to him, at least we are not confronted with "the wall of boxes". For stuff like the minis mounted on the wall-hangers, those get labeled too.

Second, related to the first: HAVE A LIST. A file folder with a list of what is in which box is also useful. (And for the love of all which is decent, MAKE MORE THAN ONE COPY.)

If this sounds like "they call me the King of the Spreadsheets": Yes.

Those two suggestions alone will knock out 90% of the problems faced by those picking up the pieces afterward. (My personal favorite: In the most-recent bit of estate work, I quite literally tripped over a box with $372 in rolled change; god knows how long it had been sitting in the back of the closet....)

Also, it might be worthwhile to have a Subject Matter Experts doc about "when time comes for divestiture, call Person X about model kits, Person Y for XYZ game miniatures... Person A for books" and so forth

Similar Missions

1. WGF In search of Dogfight and Immelman decks
    By Diamondback in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 19:07
  2. In search of an aircraft
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 06:15
  3. Help my search Fu is boken
    By Linz in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3