Ares Games

Thread: AAR OTTTEY Mission 10 3 Bridges (Jeff, Lloyd and Beau)

Default AAR OTTTEY Mission 10 3 Bridges (Jeff, Lloyd and Beau)

RFC

2nd Lt Jonty Gresham. SpadVII
    Lt Hall BE 2
    2 Seater Lt Peter Hibbet pilot Lt Frank Jameson Observer

Central Powers

Ltn J Kohlbach MVR plane Alb DII
    Obltn A Imellman Alb DII
    Lt G Splitgerber Halb. Blue
    Lt K Ungewitter Halb Red

" They will never fall for it a second time " Hibbet commented to his observer. " Every Boche pilot knows we have this Roland and frankly I dont like flying with German crosses on the wings, might confuse our Archie and then" Hibbet made a downward spiral movement with his hand ending the gesture with a "Boom"
    " No Archie where we are going today "Jonty chipped in " Just 3 nice little bridges to bomb and me and Pip to cover you, a walk in the park eh chaps" Turning towards his plane Jonty waved and pulled on his flying helmet.

Jameson was the first to see the scouts. a pair of Albatross and a Halb bearing down fast on the Bulldogs rear. Although out of range they were gaining fast.

Firing a short burst he got the attention of Gresham and Hall. Hibbet lined up for the middle bridge and released his first egg before turning hard starboard. Hall Immelled while Jonty banked left finding hmself almost on the tail of an Albatross. A squeeze on the trigger netted no result(0) Hall and Jameson fared better , their bullets hammering into Immelmans fuselage and wings (2,2,3) The return fire hit the 2Seater but stopped abruptly (2+GJ)
    Splitsbergens shots go wide .

An audible boom confirmed Hibbets bombing accuracy on the bridge.

Ignoring his bombing targets Hibbit turns his attention to the Hun fighters, Jameson hitting Immelman again and Pip Halls rounds striking home against the blue Halb of Splitsbergen . The faint smell of burning fuel reaching his nostrils (1+fire, 0) .

Gresham snuggles up tight behind Kohlbach only to have his guns jam (0+GJ,2) . Undeterred Jonty follows close on his enemy's tail, but to close and the Albatross and Spad collided ,a stringer snapping on the new Spad

The aerial ballet begins again with Spltsbergen and Gresham turning away from each other, Kohlbach and the flaming Halb in line astern with Hall and Hibbets 2 seater in their sights.

Passing between the 2 RFC planes Kolbach trades shots with the BE2 to no avail (0,0) but Halls better aim leaves him with a tear in his wing. (2,0)

. Jameson sees an opportunity and wades in as the Albatross flies by, a wry smile on his face as he watches black smoke pour from his target (0,1+smoke)

as he banks right in an effort to di engage from the battle he falls into the sguns of Jontys Spad.The result was fatal (3)

His fire extinguished Spitsbergen circles round behind the Spad while Immellman turns in toward Hall and Hibbett.

Jonty slams his joystick left aiming to go head to head with the Albatross. The Germans tracers pass under theSpad (0). Jonty held his fire until the plane filled his sights, the rounds shredding his opponents propeller causing the Albtross to spin violently before nosing into the ground (XP ,green Crit hit card)

Hibbit watched as his second batch of bombs arced down onto the Northern bridge splinters flying into the air as they struck. Gresham Immelles and Hall homes in on the blue Halb, not seeing a red Halb coming out of the sun on his tail.

Jonty spots the new plane as he levels out of the Immel. Firing his shots go wide
    The planes jockey for position Jonty running low on ammo moves in close on the tail of Ungerwitter in his red Halb and empties his drum (1.0)

Jameson follows the red Halb i hs sights and empties his last rounds into the new Hun .Ungerwitter feels the rounds hit his body and fights against the pain (3+pilot) then slumps over his controls.

Flying straight and level makes him a sitting target for Gresham and Hibbet. The 2 seater eager to get a shot banks in front and just below the Spad but Gresham, now reloaded, took a bead on the Halb . First a puff of smoke appeared from the engine, then the tell tale red of flames (1+smoke,2+smoke)

. A second burst from the Vickers sends the Halb to its doom (0,1)

Seeing his 3rd wingman tumble from the sky Splitsbergen makes a break for his own lines.

Hall gets a short burst but fails to damage the Halb who twists and turns in an attempt to break away from the Spad that had just Immelled and BE2 a squeeze of the trigger jams Gresham s guns. Halls shots tear at the Huns rudder (2+LRJ).

Seeing the Spads pilot wrestling with is guns Splitsbergen opens up the throttle and dives for the ground , quickly outpacing the slower BE2 of Hall
    Hibbet guided his 2 seater into a bomb run,but his final drop on the Southern bridge is only a partial success. Looking around , the skies clear of all enemy planes , he turns his plane to follow the rest of the flight home.
    Result

RFC

2nd Lt Jonty Gresham. SpadVII RTB/3 kills
    Lt Hall BE 2 RTB
    2 Seater Lt Peter Hibbet pilot Lt Frank Jameson Observer RTB/2 bridges destroyed ,1 partial (sunken bridge)

Central Powers

Ltn J Kohlbach MVR Alb DII - SD/XP/0 kills Rolled 5 -3Exp = 2 KIA

Obltn A Imellman: SD/FT/0 kill - Rolled 9 -1SD = 8 Bruised skip 1 scenario

Ltn G Splitgerber Halb. Blue - RTB 0 kills

Ltn Karl Ungewitter: Halb Red - SD-FLM/WIA/FT - Rolled 4 -2FLM -1WIA = 1 KIA

Well what a day 2nd Lt Gresham had !!!! I added an extra Halb when the first plane went down early in the game but still the Germans never got a look in what with gun jams , fires and a boom card. The only up side for them was that the underwater bridge remained intact after repairs , and Splitgerber survived to tell the tale.

Some nice die rolls from Dave might hearten the Eagles spirits Otherwise its on to Mission 11 which could be a duck shoot for the Huns.
    Last edited by flash; 04-04-2015 at 04:02. Reason: Correct the Tally

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Just totted up and that's my 50th AAR.

Well done (50th) Paul and a cracker to boot. What a duck shoot for the RFC. Well done your Bulldogs for clearing the skies.
    See you on the Dark Side......

A neat clinical strike at the bridges Paul.
    What a pity that we all keep destroying bridges a plenty, but just the wrong ones. You would think that two out of three would give a better than even chance of getting the correct one, and yet we have both managed to miss so far.
    No wonder our army has stalled again in its advance. Guess we will just have to dig in for another winter.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Well done (50th) Paul and a cracker to boot. What a duck shoot for the RFC. Well done your Bulldogs for clearing the skies.
    Thanks Neil Considering you took a whooping . Bit like the black Cats

Thumbs up

Well that really blooded the jolly old Hun's nose Paul!

Well done your Lads & a shame that damn hidden tunnel keeps surviving.

Welcome to the 50 Club.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Just totted up and that's my 50th AAR.
    Time !!

Great AAR - hard luck on not totalling the target but a partial victory by damaging it & slowing the supplies - well done Jonty though, what a cracking mission for him I think your excitement showed as the Hun Tally was a little confusing with mismatched ranks and the same pilot name twice, however, think I have it sorted now unless you tell me otherwise:

Ltn J Kohlbach: SD/XP/0 kill - Rolled 5 -3Exp = 2 KIA

Obltn A Imellman: SD/FT/0 kill - Rolled 9 -1SD = 8 Bruised skip 1 scenario

Ltn Karl Ungewitter: Halb Red SD FLM/WIA/FT - Rolled 4 -2FLM -1WIA = 1 KIA
    (Subbed above - you already had Immelman assigned ?!)

So far you have the most unsuccessful German AI - they have not one kill scored amongst them - upside being no losses for you in 10 games; most unlike you !!

Let's see if Ltn Herman Lex can make a difference when he flies as an Eagle ?!
    Last edited by flash; 04-04-2015 at 04:02. Reason: Correct the Tally

Thanks for that Dave. Should have spotted the Immellman brothers

Yikes ! Having just re-examined the tally I realised that poor Ungewitter was also a. FLM & b. WIA He's done. KIA
    A very bad day for your Eagles.
    Ltn Hermann Hartman joins Herman Lex - let's see if the Hermans can make a difference !
    Last edited by flash; 04-04-2015 at 04:02.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Should make a monster of a difference Dave.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	161751

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Should make a monster of a difference Dave.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	161751

Rob.
    Loved the Munsters

So far you have the most unsuccessful German AI - they have not one kill scored amongst them - upside being no losses for you in 10 games; most unlike you !!
    Plenty of time left Dave. They are all living on a prayer ( Cue Bon Jovi)
    Last edited by flash; 04-04-2015 at 23:20.

Great AAR Paul - and Jonty turns in a triple-victory mission for the Bulldogs

A special mission turn out for your 50th! The Huns didn't know they were doomed before they took off. Great hat trick!

Blimey, I almost feel sorry for Les sal Boches!
    great story, and a nice result for your 50th

Another great read for my Saturday morning.
    Well done!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-25-2015, 22:35
  2. AAR Mission 10 - Three Bridges to Victory - 19th October 1916. 52Sq. The Bulldogs.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-25-2015, 12:07
  3. AAR OTT ED Mission 10 - Three Bridges to Victory - 19th October 1916
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-25-2015, 11:41
  4. AAR Mission 10 - Three Bridges to Victory - 19th October 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2015, 11:16
  5. Replies: 21