Ares Games

Thread: UK visit - Any ideas?

Default UK visit - Any ideas?

Hi there.

I'm visiting the UK in June/July in part to see Tankfest, Goodwood festival of speed, and Tewkesbury.
    I have been to the excellent RAF museum near London and the Imperial war museum (and ex-bedlam asylum) previously. Last time the Battle of Britain hall at the RAF museum was closed for refurbishment so I plan to see it this time. Can anyone recommend any other military type museums to see? I plan to visit London for a few days, travel to Southampton for Tankfest, then drive around Cornwall and Wales for a couple of weeks before going to Tewkesbury.

And depending on how the first test goes, perhaps some good natured taunting.

Cheers,
    Dan

Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset - go on a weekend when there is a military re-enactment, and see several of the old tanks in action!

I once watched a WW1 Mark V "trench-crossing" with infantry support - it was quite something!

Is your visit to Tewkesbury for the Medieval Fayre?

Hi Tim,

Bovington tank museum is where Tankfest is held. It's their major annual display. Been wanting to go for some time, and looking forward to it greatly.
    Tewkesbury is indeed for the fair. Among other things I'm a 15th century re-enactor, and with the recent re-burial of Richard III it's something I couldn't miss.

Cheers,
    Dan

Dan, if you can grab this month's copy of 'Aeroplane Magazine' (May 2015 issue) where you are, it lists every aviation museum in the UK by county and what kit it holds. PM me if you can't get hold of a copy.

A quick look at Cornwall shows Classic Air Force with about a dozen post-WW2 types, and two more which I wouldn't be over-bothered with, Bournemouth Aviation Museum in Dorset (which also has an excellent regimental museum in the town), and Farnborough Air Sciences Trust Museum, Museum of Army Flying and Solent Sky in Hampshire.

Also Cobbaton Combat Collection in North Devon is very much worth a look. (http://www.cobbatoncombat.co.uk/)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

If you are at Tewkesbury, Cosford Air Museum is not a million miles away up the M5 and turn left Dan.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

There is the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton in Somerset. http://www.fleetairarm.com/default.aspx

You might like to call in on your way from Southampton to Cornwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    There is the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton in Somerset. http://www.fleetairarm.com/default.aspx

You might like to call in on your way from Southampton to Cornwall.
    Forgot that one
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Probably too far out of your way, but the War and Peace Show is 22nd to 26th July this year - lots of military vehicles, traders and re-enactors

http://www.thewarandpeacerevival.co....kets-2015.html

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Here is where I would advise you to consider ... IMHO of course and starting with RAF Cosford because it has already been mentioned. If you want to be left speechless by three aircraft all under the same roof visit the Cold War Hangar at the RAF Cosford museum: Are you ready for this - a Victor. A Valiant and a Vulcan all within feet of one another and as mentioned all mind-blowingly under the same roof / within the same enclosure ...

2) Newark Air Museum. Winthorpe near Newark, Nottinghamshire. Nearest major roads A1 / A46 / A15. Predominantly military with many civil aircraft preserved alongside. The resident Avro Vulcan is also open to the public for only Ł1 (but I would happily have paid Ł5 for the talk on board!) mostly at weekends. The trick at Newark is to watch the sky: On the last five visits there the museum has been overflown by RAF Merlin helicopters ... RAF Boeing Sentry AEW Mk 1 from nearby Waddington ... Avro Vulcan XH558 ... Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker ... RAF Chinook helicopters x 4 ... The museum is located within the Lincolnshire Military Training Area explaining half of these overflights and what they were doing in the area.

3) South Yorkshire Air Museum. Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Nearest major roads A1 / M18. Surprized that this museum is not already mentioned given that Wings of Glory events are now held there annually! If you like helicopters especially this is the place to be - four Westland Whirlwinds and a Wessex plus smaller types under the same roof for starters. Home of the SYHPS (South Yorkshire Helicopter Preservation Society) and also home to one of the best diecast model shops in the United Kingdom for model ranges like Hobbymaster and Corgi Aviation Archive. Careful of that excess baggage allowance ...

4) Derby Aviation Museum. Derby. Nearest major roads A38 / A61. Well ... This is actually my attic where a broad selection of aircraft types from the mighty 1/144 scale Boeing B-52 to the astounding 1/200 scale Airbus A380 may be viewed and Wings of Glory played on demand. Pop in for a cup of tea and a spot of Glory (WGS) if you are going to be criss-crossing the UK visiting air museums - you are most welcome and admission is free!

I hope you have a fantastic visit to the UK and the weather is kind to you throughout

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset - go on a weekend when there is a military re-enactment, and see several of the old tanks in action!

I once watched a WW1 Mark V "trench-crossing" with infantry support - it was quite something!

Is your visit to Tewkesbury for the Medieval Fayre?
    If you are going to hit Bovington then you should also visit the much looked over overlooked Army Air Museum at Middle Wallop.

Also an active Army Air Corp. Base so lots going on over head.

Having just read Barney's post Dan, if you do venture as far North as Doncaster or Newark. I would also love to meet up with you. We are only half an hour from Newark Air Museum, and about the same from Derby.
    Rob.

Thanks chaps. Definitely a couple I'll try to squeeze in on my travels.

I think a debrief is in order. I visited RAF Museums at Hendon and Cosford, Solent Sky in Southampton, and the Museum of Army Aviation at Middle Wallop.
    Seeing the 3 V's at Cosford was good, but the Battle of Britain hangar at Hendon that was closed last time was excellent. Didn't get a chance to see much of the Do17 at Cosford, but there are a few artifacts on display from it. Solent sky was quite interesting, particularly the quad-decker plane. Army aviation museum was also most interesting with a good display of WW2 era gliders. I still think the Lancaster light and sound show display at our war memorial in Canberra is the best though

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Dan, glad you are back safely and you had a great time. One quick question for you ...

RAF Museum Cosford: Any sign of their brand new Vickers VC10 yet?

The Dornier Do.17 is currently being prepared to move from the RAF Museum at Cosford to the RAF Museum at Hendon so I am informed. A bit of a disappointment for those of us who live nearer to Cosford than Hendon but I guess the museums know what they are doing?!

Glad you enjoyed your trip Dan.
    What you missed at Cosford I photographed last year when Joaquim was over here and we popped in to see what progress was being made.
    Shot from inside the plastic tent, courtesy of Wing Commander Kyte, but that is another story!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cosford 1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	173328

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cosford 2..jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	173329

Rob.

OK, I'll bite -- what'n'ell is *that*? (Besides "a s***load of rust in close formation".)
    Last edited by csadn; 08-15-2015 at 15:00.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

That is the best preserved Dornier 17 in the world....

Similar Missions

1. Visit to RAF Museum London
    By Nightbomber in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2015, 01:27
  2. My visit to London
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 04:11
  3. Great place to visit!
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4