Ares Games

Thread: OTT ED Mission 11 - Live To Fight Another Day - November 15th 1916

Default OTT ED Mission 11 - Live To Fight Another Day - November 15th 1916

Situation:
    With all their later model of aircraft either damaged or grounded due to technical issues the Bulldogs have had to fall back onto the old and reliable DH2 -

It wasn't going to be pretty but it was necessary that they at least put something in the air to stem the resurgent tide of what was now called the Deutsche Luftstreitkräfte.
    So far the patrol had gone well and they had seen off a couple of German recon machines just by turning up and looking a little threatening but they were in no position to chase them or bring them down and so they pressed on deeper into German territory.
    Suddenly they were there - mere specks in the distance that rapidly grew in size - a bit of manoeuvring and posturing was carried out by both sides but the Bulldogs knew that if they got caught too deep by the superior German aircraft and numbers they could be in serious trouble - discretion being the better part of valour it was high time to head home. Even as the flight leader signalled his intent the Germans pounced, it was now a race back to the lines and the devil take the hindmost !

Ground:
    Two mats should do it - play longwise - nominate one end as German (east), the other British (west) is the lines.

Mission:
    British: Get your flight home across the lines
    German: Stop the British getting home !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad_landing.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	161395

Method:
    Start your German scouts with the back of their bases touching on the east edge facing West, start your British scouts two rulers away from the German scouts facing East.
    British first move must be three turns or Immel ie turning back the way you came !

British scouts:
    Ideally DH2 but anything of similar speed or less will do the job - Nieuport 16s, 11's, Morane Saulnier N, Gunbus' (good luck with that!) (Those that use E,G,P,R,T or X decks). Max 3 in number.

German Scouts:
    Ideally Albatros D.I/II backed up by the slightly slower Halberstadt D.II/III (Those that use J, V, I, P decks ie as fast but mostly faster than the Brits), Max number - should outnumber the Brits at least 2 to 1.

Intent:
    There will be a rolling brawl created as the British try to escape - whenever the Brits have a chance they will head for the lines; to make this work you will have to be the I in AI !

Options:
    Start the three DH2 at different distances - 1.5; 2 & 3 Ruler from enemy to give a staggered formation, or, you could randomly dice to see at which distance the formation of 3 DH2's are when the skipper gives the signal to turn.

If you have a lot of Germans you could stagger their entry too, bring on so many on move 1, add the next on move 2 etc so they all get on in turn one but not all in one line.

Germans can play scenario in role reversal and fly Eindeckers or Halbs against A gunned N.17 - if they're hard enough !

Victory
    Total British Victory: All Tommy's escape & have downed 1 or more Germans
    British Victory: All Tommy's escape or Most Tommy's escape & have downed 1 or more Germans
    Total German Victory: All Tommy's downed without loss.
    German Victory: All Tommy's downed but have downed 1 or more Germans
    Partial German Victory: Most Tommy's downed without loss
    Last edited by flash; 04-02-2015 at 00:27.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

This is based albeit loosely on what Si has told me in the past about an action his Great Grandfather (a sergeant pilot) was involved in when flying with one James McCudden in his pre ace days. I hope I have done it justice.
    Due to the rush I haven't had a chance to test fly this - the numbers are right but the opening distance may need modification - I plumped for two rulers, one & a half or three could work as well if not better !
    Good luck all !

Looks interesting and downloaded ready to go.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

That looks interesting flash!
    Looking forward to playing it over the Easter long weekend!

Just setting this one up - I will start my three DH2 at different distances - 1.5; 2 & 3 Ruler from enemy to give a staggered formation (no gin involved) just to see how it affects the game mostly but then thought I would suggest you could do the same, or, just for fun, you could randomly dice to see at which distance the 3 DH2's are when the skipper gives the signal to turn
    If you have a lot of Jerries you could stagger their entry too, bring on so many on move 1, add the next on move 2 etc so they all get on in turn one but not all in one line. Should have thought of this before but not been well this week so brain function's impaired a little (again, no gin involved!).

Nice to have a mission which has a link to a Drome members family. Reminds me of that Capri bomber RTB that Mike (Old guy) thought up in the final months campaign.
    Goggles on and Easter eggs at the ready.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Hmmmm - methinks I may need to think up some names after this one

Lightbulb A suggestion?

Flash, may I make a suggestion.
    In view of the way this mission is designed might it be an idea to let the defending & outnumbered player fly all his aircraft by I & not AI?
    All the attacking aircraft will of course be AI.
    It would be extremely difficult to try a run for home if the charts keep you turning back to attack which is what the charts are about.

I do like your suggestions about the staggered positions!

Hope you & the "brain" are feeling better.
    Might not a few G & T's help in that regard?

After the first turn around and scrum at some point you can use the escape board edge for your friendly AIs target? That should get them heading where you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ...It would be extremely difficult to try a run for home if the charts keep you turning back to attack which is what the charts are about....
    You can if you like Baz though I don't see a need to, I just made the lines my target when the opportunity arises, as Peter has suggested, and the 'planes then head for them, if they need to turn and fight revert to standard rules & target the enemy aircraft !
    Last edited by flash; 04-02-2015 at 00:27.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You can if you like Baz though I don't see a need to, I just made the lines my target when the opportunity arises, as Peter has suggested, and the 'planes then head for them, if they need to turn and fight revert to standard rules & target the enemy aircraft !
    Rodger, Wilco!
    Never thought of that! Stupid me.

I played this with some randomness like Dave suggested. My British planes started 2.5 ruler lengths away and I had 3 Germans come on the first movement card, 2 the next, and one the last. Only 1 faster Albatros came on the first turn. I found if I played only straights for the German planes, only the Albatros in the first move could gain (obviously) but since it wasn't directly behind any of the British planes it never caught up. The British walked off the board.

I played it again, put the British planes closer, 2 rulers. The Germans came on randomly, when a 6 was rolled, but one guaranteed to come on every movement card. It still looked like 2 of the planes would get away without being touched. One was getting harassed by a Halberstadt that was keeping pace, and eventually an Albatros caught up and fired a shot on it right before it reach the west edge and escaped. To make it more interesting I had one plane turn back to attack and draw fire. It predictably drew fire from 3 planes and went down in flames.

I think I'm going to give it another run, perhaps having the British planes free to turn around after the first German wounding shot and repeating the 2 ruler setup with 3 Halberstadts, then having the Albatrii come on randomly after that. I like the tension of trying to fly a defensive retreat, just having a bit of a time getting the setup right so a furball erupts. It is such a cool idea and I love that it is from a firsthand account that I really want a good story to come out of it

Thanks for all the feedback Shawn, I will certainly take your ideas on board when I fly the mission. I had already decided to fly two aircraft myself and try to give the Hun a bloody nose, whilst the rest made off.
    Rob.

If all agree I will fly the RFC myself until the Hun come within 2 rulers then its : I hope

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

This game will throw up some anomalies - the staggered British start worked well for me but not having Albs in on the first move may affect the outcome as I found with only one in mine. I had a wounded Brit pilot straight away (the one I was flying!) and used the option in the rules which meant he circled back - completely threw the Germans out so that may be a tactic worth employing !
    I would suggest trying a 1.5, 2 & 2.5 ruler start for the Brits and make sure you have an Alb or two in the first move & all Germans on the table at the end of turn 1. I found it hard for the Jerries catching up as I shoot peg to peg, if I shot peg to base it would have been a lot harder on the Brits from the get go. As it was gun jams and zig zagging saved their bacon ! I will post the original game but may well play it again as it was reasonably quick and quite good fun. (May be a while as X-winging today, Bro in law arriving from NZ tonight, out with my family Sunday, SWMBO in for op on Thursday, a busy week in the offing !)
    If the British get away then that is historically accurate !

Hope the op goes well for SWMBO Dave - and I assume that the Gotha Killer is your X Wing opponent?

BTW - have a copy of Armada - is GK buying into this as well?

GK is my opponent - a large 'transport' marked FFG appeared in the upper atmosphere yesterday and awaits the cargo doors opening ! Now he's earning proper money he's having a splurge ! Don't think he's into Armada yet but pretty sure he'd like to have a look at it sometime. Think he's just arrived so I'll be off in a mo.

Played mine this morning. Will try to get it written up this evening or AM tomorrow. It was different!
    Rob.

Nicely done Dave. Haven't a clue when I'll get this one flown. But I'll persevere.
    See you on the Dark Side......

It's not overly long this one, if that helps Neil

I got mine done in about two hours, and probably extended it a little more than actually necessary.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This game will throw up some anomalies - the staggered British start worked well for me but not having Albs in on the first move may affect the outcome as I found with only one in mine. I had a wounded Brit pilot straight away (the one I was flying!) and used the option in the rules which meant he circled back - completely threw the Germans out so that may be a tactic worth employing !
    I would suggest trying a 1.5, 2 & 2.5 ruler start for the Brits and make sure you have an Alb or two in the first move & all Germans on the table at the end of turn 1. I found it hard for the Jerries catching up as I shoot peg to peg, if I shot peg to base it would have been a lot harder on the Brits from the get go. As it was gun jams and zig zagging saved their bacon ! I will post the original game but may well play it again as it was reasonably quick and quite good fun. (May be a while as X-winging today, Bro in law arriving from NZ tonight, out with my family Sunday, SWMBO in for op on Thursday, a busy week in the offing !)
    If the British get away then that is historically accurate !
    Thanks for the info Dave!
    I intend to fly 2 x DH-2's, 2 Alb DII's & 2 Halberstadts & will dice a D8 for which German Aircraft enters first etc with all coming in on Turn One.
    Think I might have both DH-2's at 2 rulers but a ruler apart.

Please give your wife my best wishes foe a successful Op & speedy recovery.

Had some free time today so managed to squeeze this one in. What a game, AAR to follow tonight if I get time. Plenty of action, 2 flamers, 4 smokers, 2 explosions. Scores on the doors? You'll have to wait a bit longer.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-14-2015, 06:59
  2. AAR Mission 9 - The Last Gasp of the Somme - 15th September 1916
    By Brambo in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 20:28
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 18:08
  4. AAR OTT The Early Doors Mission 3 - Pricking the Sausage - 15th March 1916
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches