Ares Games

Thread: Dams again!

Default Dams again!

1/200" scale is just too dam big . . .

So my friends, if a person had a dam, say 24" wide with AA emplacements similar to the Ares layouts and that same person had say, 6 Lancaster dam busters, how large a mat would it take to contain the bombers on an approach line up, dam attack, overfly and orbit for a second pass, moving all the bombers at the same time and making adjustments on the attack?

I have not tried it out yet, but Mrs. Clipper's dining room table is 36" x 72" and if she goes out shopping one day, I may give it a go. Just thinking it might want to be a bit wider . . .

Any thoughts?

Default How big a table?

Hi

This is an interesting question,

Perhaps some fundamental assumptions may help

1) Three flights of two Lancs there fore maximum width at start of run 12" assuming not too close a formation?
    2) The 'run in' does not need to be more than three turns from start until point of 'bomb release'
    3) At 1/144 scale the bomb release is approx 7.3 inches from dam wall assuming bomb bounces and settles to fall at dam wall edge
    (Success and ACE pilot if you achieve this)!....mine normally either fall short or on occasions bounce over the wall completely!!
    Typical bounce distance at 1/144 is 2.13 inches per bounce and three bounces maximum....to settling point....
    4) Lancs usually banked hard left and steep climb away immediately after the point of bomb release.

With these assumptions taken as the starting point,

1) The damn itself should be located to the right of centre line of your table and approx 14" from the right side of the table edge
    2) To allow for an alternative action 'right bank and climb out' scenario
    with the Lanc's turning circle you need at least 18" to the right hand table edge from the far right hand point of the damn wall
    3) To enable a full left bank, turn and climb the same distance again is required
    4) To allow for a return to the start of the run in point you might want to allow an additional 24" table length?

So in summary; A table 48" wide and 66" long should be sufficient (you may want longer to turn the Lancs about and line up for
    run in if going for a second pass, the key to playing this scenario is the width of the table rather than the length of the table.
    This also depends on the width of the damn you want to use?
    Plus possible allowance for Lanc over flight of the dam before starting to bank away

Having played the actual Dam Busters in a friends 'war room' (Double Garage converted) on the gaming table more than once....
    If the six Lancs are involved taking them down in three's just does not work unless you have a really wide Dam!
    Realistically the two flight scenario is much more appropriate as you can then choose to break both left or right or one in each
    direction after bomb release.....

We use a dark blue sheet for water channel to the dam,
    the dam wall is home made plaster of paris and hand painted (only needs to be 2~3" out / above the water line)
    with green / brown felt sidings sheets for the grass banks each side etc

Next time we play I will do an AAR and upload some photos.....

Hope this helps for you?

Regards

Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    1/200" scale is just too dam big . . .

Any thoughts?
    Get a bigger table Dave.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Bombing Hitler's Dams
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2014, 15:04