Ares Games

Thread: Sorry Chaps! Just got to have a small boast!

Exclamation Sorry Chaps! Just got to have a small boast!

G'day All!
    Just had to post the news that last night the Australian Cricket Team thrashed New Zealand in the Final of the World One Day Cricket Cup.
    The Kiwis tried hard but our Bowlers did the job & our Batsman had a relatively easy task & won by 7 Wickets.
    Apologies to those who don't follow Cricket.

No need to apologize.....

Sounds like a good reason to open up the bar!.....(like it was ever closed)

Congrats - really not looking forward to the next Ashes series based on this performance

Nor me, nice one Barry, they deserved the win from what I saw of the tournament

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

Apologies to those who don't follow Cricket.
    I used to in the days before the Irish came to pre eminence.
    Well done the Strines.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Oh, I thought it was going to be an important announcement
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    It is important as far as I am concerned Steve.
    Drinks in the bar were mentioned.
    Kyte.

Congrats, Barry!

My Kiwi work colleague was Gutted!

And since she has, in the past, taped the fridge closed so that I couldn't get my milk for a cup of coffee () I'm happy to join you in a celebratory Brandy! (or three............)

Smile

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Congrats, Barry!

My Kiwi work colleague was Gutted!

And since she has, in the past, taped the fridge closed so that I couldn't get my milk for a cup of coffee () I'm happy to join you in a celebratory Brandy! (or three............)
    Thanks Tim!
    Those Kiwi's were getting way too cocky having beaten us on the way to the semis but we certainly turned the tables! (by 7 Wickets as well!)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It is important as far as I am concerned Steve.
    Drinks in the bar were mentioned.
    Kyte.
    True that

...the Australian Cricket Team thrashed New Zealand...
    I thought we weren't supposed to talk about religion.

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    I thought we weren't supposed to talk about religion.
    I will have you know Fox that I take my sport very seriously indeed, although I would not say that it was a religion, more of an addiction really.
    If you call the sport of drinking a religion, no one will be able to call us to the bar ever again.
    Kyte.

Crackets a sport ? I thought it was a past time.... like, it's past time we stopped playing it... oh, apparently we have !

Oh! I didn't know you were including Creakit as a sport any more Squadron Leader.
    I thought we were referring to my proclivity for a little tipple.
    Kyte.

Now how do you play crocket Barry, again please?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Much as it goes against the grain, congratulations to the victorious Australian Cricket team!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Crackets a sport ? I thought it was a past time.... like, it's past time we stopped playing it... oh, apparently we have !

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Now how do you play crocket Barry, again please?
    Neil! Its CRICKET!
    Not crocket, Croquet or creaket but it almost could be called Cracket which the batsman like to do.

I once heard a really funny take on an Englishman trying to explain Cricket to an American but I cant remember all of it!
    It started something like this.

"There are 2 sides & one side goes in & the other side tries to get them out. Then the other side goes in & the first side tries to get them out"

Smile

Not trying to rub it in my English friends but I heard this is what the English selectors are doing to the English one day Team.

"One Day" we hope to play well again...............

Barry,
    Congratulations

*although I don't know much about cricket

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    "One Day" we hope to play well again...............
    You will Tim!
    Our lads went through a bad time if you remember your 4-0 drubbing of us in the Ashes a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker;342859I
    once heard a really funny take on an Englishman trying to explain Cricket to an American but I cant remember all of it!

"There are 2 sides & one side goes in & the other side tries to get them out. Then the other side goes in & the first side tries to get them out"
    Can't be any worst than trying to explain all the odd rules in baseball
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

As total outsider, I find cricket and baseball a bit similar... Or I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    As total outsider, I find cricket and baseball a bit similar... Or I'm wrong?
    I would have thought baseball was more akin to rounders

(runs for door....)

I would have thought baseball was more akin to rounders

(runs for door....)
    Why run? a quick look at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders says you're right.
    Which brings the question of what General Doubleday invented (aside from the San Francisco cable car) :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Doubleday
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubleday_myth
    Karl
    PS: Medieval baseball http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat-and..._da_pelota.jpg
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Not trying to rub it in my English friends but I heard this is what the English selectors are doing to the English one day Team.
    I don't think there is an emotion that truly depicts what they're doing Baz - if there was its presentation may well be illegal lest it offend !

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I don't think there is an emotion that truly depicts what they're doing Baz - if there was its presentation may well be illegal lest it offend !

Neil! Its CRICKET!
    Not crocket, Croquet or creaket but it almost could be called Cracket which the batsman like to do.
    I beg to differ Baz.
    When I mentioned Creaket, I did so intentionally specifically with reference to the England team.
    Creaket, as in the noise made by old furniture which is coming apart at the joints.
    Rob.

Smile

I beg to differ Baz.
    When I mentioned Creaket, I did so intentionally specifically with reference to the England team.
    Creaket, as in the noise made by old furniture which is coming apart at the joints.
    Rob.
    Ahhh, I see Rob. That was way too subtle for me!

I once heard a really funny take on an Englishman trying to explain Cricket to an American but I cant remember all of it!

Is this the one you meant Baz.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

For those who are still confused here is the official version. If you still have the will to live after this do try to get to see a game sometime during your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqtpNkMvj5Y

Rob.

Actually, the video explanation made perfect sense. Thanks Rob.
    Karl

Right then Karl that's good, although the first explanation was the real joke bit.
    Now about American football, which I have watched on numerous occasions and never got a propper grasp of.
    Rob.

Right then Karl that's good, although the first explanation was the real joke bit.
    Now about American football, which I have watched on numerous occasions and never got a propper grasp of.
    Rob.
    Sorry, not a sports fan; I only care about the home teams for the sales in my bread aisle
    Karl

Football can be summed up in three words: "Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy".

Thumbs up

Is this the one you meant Baz.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

For those who are still confused here is the official version. If you still have the will to live after this do try to get to see a game sometime during your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqtpNkMvj5Y

Rob.
    Yep! That's the one Rob. A Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Football can be summed up in three words: "Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy".
    That's easy for you to say Chris, but as you know I am no loquacious sesquipedalian.
    Rob.

All I can say after our excellent performace this season is bring on the ashes, and it would be even better it the series was in England, nothing makes an ashes win more sweater the beating England on home ground. An American friend of mine could not understand how you could play a game for 5 days and not get a result

A moment of celebration in Australia! Well done indeed! As for the merits of cricket or American baseball, life is to short to appreciate them!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    An American friend of mine could not understand how you could play a game for 5 days and not get a result
    Tell him not to forget that it can rain for five days solid in the U.K.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Small Spads
    By Zakopious in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 10:17
  2. Small Giant Bases
    By PilGrim in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 04:32
  3. Nightbomber's small beer
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 35