Ares Games

Thread: Tidying up my plane collection / suggestions invited

Default Tidying up my plane collection / suggestions invited

When I first got into the game, it was going through the Nexus-to-Ares transition and the only planes that I could find at the time were a bit... mismatched. Shortly afterwards I was able to pick up a collection of planes on eBay for a reasonable price, and thus now had an even more random collection! This was compounded by the fact that at that early stage I hadn't even worked out what country or period I'd want to focus on. It's now a couple of years later, and I'm looking through my collection and trying to sort out what I'm going to focus on, and wondering what to do with the planes I have that don't really fit. This is still a bit of a work-in-progress, so forgive me if I ramble as I go!

I'm probably going to focus on British planes (RFC/RNAS/RAF without particular favour at the moment). The early period interests me as well as the late-war period, so this seems a good choice. Obviously some German opponents will be necessary too, so I'm quite happy with a hangar of German aircraft too (and since my better half seems to prefer the German designs, this works nicely).

I'm likely going to drop my initial ideas of building up an Eastern Front force, and a Near East/Palestine/Arabia force, as the planes seem very unlikely to be available as mainstream models, and finding opponents will be even harder than Western Front opponents! I don't want to get heavily into the Shapeways planes, partly through expense, partly through lack of time to paint, and partly because my painting isn't as good as it used to be when I painted figures a lot. Shame as I rather fancied a Sikorsky Ilya Muromets - that would have made the O/400 and Staaken sit up and take notice!

So, from my haphazard collection, I'm interested in the best options regarding the planes that don't really fit in with this concept. Sell, trade or repaint? Obviously I'm mindful that if there's a hard-to-find miniature that hasn't been re-issued, I wouldn't want to repaint it and turn it into a 'normal' plane when someone might be desperately looking for it!

These are the ones that I'm wondering about at the moment, and suggestions are welcomed!

Breguet 14 B2 (US, Browning & Duke) - WW23i, still boxed.
    Lovely plane, but not flown by an air force that I'm going to be working on. Not re-issued yet, so possibly desirable to the right person.

Morane-Saulnier Type N (France, Navarre) - WGF107A, still boxed
    Morane-Saulnier Type N (France, Gilbert) - WGF107B, still boxed
    I had a mind to repaint these as Russian planes, but probably won't be working on the Eastern Front idea.

Spad XIII (US, Frank Luke Jr)
    I think these were only issued in the Duel Packs. One option is to repaint as a 23 Sqn RFC plane - but is it more desirable to US-force collectors in its current colours?

Sopwith Camel (Belgium, Olieslagers)
    Quite an early Nexus release I think, and not since reprinted. Repaint as a RFC/RAF Camel? Or is it more desirable to a Belgium-force collector?

RAF SE5a (US, Boudwin x 2)
    Two of these, one of which had a minor paintjob by the previous owner to differentiate it. Obviously the SE5a hasn't had a reprint yet. Repaint as two RFC/RAF planes (to join the single RFC 85 Sqn version that I have)? Or what?

Spad VII (France, Guynemer x 2)
    I also have two F-Toys 1/144 Spad VII in the French airforce scheme of Guynemer's plane that I bought before the Series 7 release, with the intent of repainting as Russian. They would obviously need a base, but the miniatures themselves are rather lovely, and perhaps slightly more detailed than the official ones (see pics below). Repaint as RFC 23 Sqn planes (to match the official Ares WGF113C release)?

Name:  _MG_6578red.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  62.0 KB Name:  _MG_6581red.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  40.6 KB

Thoughts and recommendations received with interest!
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 03-27-2015 at 09:03. Reason: Typo

The RFC used some Morane-Saulnier Type N's and some SPAD VII's. I changed the roundels on one Morane-Saulnier N to make it into an RFC one. Another F-toys model was of an RFC SPAD VII.Name:  Morane-Saulnier Type N.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  6.7 KBName:  SPAD VII.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  2.8 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 03-27-2015 at 08:29.

Hi a Alex
    As Dave has said, a change of decals on the moraines and a lick of red paint on the nose and they are ready for the RFC.
    The SE5 a well these are quite desirable now as they are not on general sale anymore, they are due for re-release but nothing heard yet.
    For the two spad 7, take a look at Doms a Decals, he does some Nieuport decals with the Red Stork, which you can use the numbers to give some more a French a Spad VIi

The SE5a is now almost impossible to find.
    Think carefully about what to do with yours; if you offer them for sale, they will be snapped up quickly, probably commanding a high price (good for your finances!).
    However, if the SE5a does not appear in the next couple of years as a reprint (we still need Series 3 first!) then your late war interest will be missing a vital aeroplane.

As a repaint, the SE5a is one of the easiest - PC10 upper and sides, CDL undersides, with easily-available roundels, and most squadron markings being a number of simple white stripes on the fuselage.

I think you should offer the US Breguet for sale - it has no RFC/RAF usage that I am aware of, and since you want to concentrate on British, not French, planes, a repaint to French colours won't help.

The SPAD VII is, I think, a mid-war plane on the Western Front, and thus not well suited to serving your Early War or Late War interests. The F-toys SPADs should do well in the resale market.

The Luke SPAD is the rarest of the SPAD XIII mdels, and can "wingman" the Rickenbacker that almost everybody owns. With your interests, I would sell this on as well.

As mentioned above, repaint the Moranes as RFC.

The Belgian Camel I think you should repaint as RFC, and keep it. The repaint is easy (see the SE5a above) and will give you a wingman for any Nexus RFC Camel you manage to acquire.
    Its resale value as is will, I think, be low - it has no wingman in production, and as a stand-alone will not be very desirable in peoples' collections, except perhaps as a completion piece.

Some very useful suggestions, thanks chaps.

I'd totally missed and/or forgotten than the RFC used some Morane-Saulnier N early on. One if them already has a red nose, the other black, so I'd only need to change one to match the other; I've found illustrations showing both red and black nosed RFC versions so it would be down to confirming and deciding. Mind you, I'll need to get some Brit roundels from somewhere.

The Breguet and the Luke SPAD will be looking for new homes, I think. Busy couple of days ahead so I'll sort out a new thread for the sale/trade section then.

Tim, my reference to early and late war interest was meant to include (in my head at least) the mid-war period too. I should have made that clearer.

Rather than re paint the F-Toys SPAD VII minis for the sake of doing so, I'll probably put them up for rehoming too. Possibly the Begian Camel too, as I'm not short of them, with a repaint in its future if no one would like it. (More roundels...!)

The SE5a minis were the big dilemma for me too. I know they're now very desirable, but at the same time I'd be *astonished* if they're not re-issued by Ares in the next series or two. Decisions, decisions...

Smile

G'day Alex!
    As others have said the Morane is an easy conversion. Just add British Rondels & job done. You can even leave one with a Black nose if you wish to make them easier to separate on the table.
    One suggestion: a thin coat of matt varnish on the wings before you add the new decals & another after they dry to ensure they do not peel off whilst handling.

I agree with repainting the Spad VII's as they make a nice mid war aircraft.

Also agree to sell on the Breguet & Luke Spad.

SE 5a is a bit of a quandary. You can repaint or sell, especially if you can get a top price.

I am interested to know what you have in German opponents.

In my view do not get rid of the Belgium Camel or repaint it. This model is fast becoming a rarity so if your intention is to sell it off wait a couple of years and then you should get top dollars for it. I rather like the model and think it has a good paint job. I myself use it with my Brit camels, when I am fly more than one as it stand out and I can tell from a quick glance which Camel is which

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    They're a bit of a random bunch too. Several Dr.I, a couple of D.Va, one D.VII, four(!) Rumplers etc. ''Tis early and I'm short on time, so I'll come back to this question later!

You got at least one Phalz DIII Alex, saw it fly last Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    A little later but here it is, and yes, a random bunch it is too!

2x Fokker E.III (one Immelmann and one Ottoman marked now repainted German)
    2x Roland C.II (one each of single gun and two-gun variant)
    3x Halberstadt D.III
    1x Albatros D.III
    4x Rumpler C.IV (two MFFA2, two n/k)
    3x Albatros D.Va
    5x Fokker Dr.I
    2x Pfalz D.III
    1x Fokker D.VII

Austro-Hungarian
    1x Albatros D.III
    2x UFAG C.1
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 04-27-2015 at 05:07.

OK, next part of the ongoing plan/question...

What about the Buttini 3 Squadriglia Caproni CA.3? I have two of these that I'm undecided over keeping or not, and looking around the net they seem to be quite hard to get hold of. I wouldn't want to repaint a plane that someone would desperately want in its original condition. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 04-27-2015 at 05:53. Reason: Typo

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The Buttini one's gone (replaced by Taramelli when the bombers were reprinted), but was never particularly sought after, so you're unlikely to break anyone's hearts by repainting it - you should be able to sell it for more or less what you paid if you decide to get rid, but it's unlikely to fetch a premium, so as good a repaint candidate as any.

Five of the 'waifs and strays' listed for trade or sale here:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...077#post360077
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 08-02-2015 at 22:31.

Would be interested in the Spad and possibly the DIII. Happy to talk Turkey at Thornbury.

- Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilCFord View Post
    Would be interested in the Spad and possibly the DIII. Happy to talk Turkey at Thornbury.

- Neil.
    No problem - will chat then.

Similar Missions

1. My personal Quiz:) Everyone is invited!
    By Nightbomber in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-20-2015, 16:59
  2. WWII Plane Collection Additions
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 02:37
  3. WWI Plane Collection Additions
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 12:22
  4. Suggestions on missions