Ares Games

Thread: Kampfgeschwader 200, a wolf in sheeps clothing

Default Kampfgeschwader 200, a wolf in sheeps clothing

Kampfgeschwader 200 during World War two, carried out test flights on a large number of captured aircraft, Attachment 161032Attachment 161033Attachment 161034

The unit also carried out a variety of special missions, like parachuting spies behind enemy lines, operating radar-jamming aircraft, carrying out long-range transport flights to Japan, clandestine bombing missions and infiltrating American bomber formations with captured aircraft in an attempt to spread confusion. However, most of the information concerning these missions comes from a single POW and is doubted by several aviation history researchers. On 1 December 1943 a B-17 was sighted with the letters "D" above another identification letter "B"

It also had a square marking, that of the 303rd Bomb Group. This was the identity of B-17F-111-BO 42-30604 Badger Beauty V, actually from the 350th Bomb Group of the "Bloody Century" 100 BG, which used the "square-D" tail marking in service. This machine was captured but it was never repaired or used by the Luftwaffe. On the same day, a lone B-24 joined a bomber formation from the 44th Bomb Group. It was reported to have been a machine carrying the markings of a 392nd Bomb Group aircraft. However this unit did not become operational until 9 December.

On the other side of the world, three B-17s were captured by the Japanese in the Philippines and Netherlands East Indies. They were flown by the IJAAF Koku Gijutsu Kenkyujo (Air Technical Research Laboratory) at Tachikawa

Attachment 161031Attachment 161035 But there are no reports of captured Japanese planes, infiltrating American bomber groups

Italy flew this one:

Name:  B24.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  35.5 KB

B-24D U.S.A.A.F. #41-23859 "Blonde Bomber II" from 98th bomb group, crash-landed on the southernmost point of Sicily on 20 February 1943.

A friend of my father was in the experimental unit that tested prototypes and captured planes. When I was a kid during lunch he discovered I was an aviation enthusiast and we ended speaking about that plane - I could even show him full color plates of it on one of my favourite books.
    He was one of the technicians going to recover it at Capo Passero, reaching the place flying on a beautiful, carefully built Cant Z.1007 whose wooden fuselage was glued on a mould bit after bit, electric wires carefully concealed in the walls. A masterpiece.
    He told me that as soon a he entered the B-24 he understood that we would lose the war. Bare metal with wires hanging here and there. He touyght that in the time we finished a Cant Z.1007, many B-24s were built...

Italian insigna are painted on the original desert pink color and every damage is carefully repaired. The plane is extensively tested. On June 19, 1943 Capitano Raina fly it to Munich and then Rechlin, since Germans asked to test it for a coupple of weeks. A German pilot breaks landing gear (unintentionally or to keep the plane?) and the Italian crew has to go back ome by train leaving the plane there.

A great book on planes captured and re-used by Italians (including a P-38 that shot down a couple of B-17 over Rome) is Giancarlo Garello, Prede di guerra - War Prizes, La Bancarella Aeronautica.
    http://www.apostoloeditore.com/ali_stra_4.html
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 03-27-2015 at 00:20.

All very interesting stuff chaps.
    Could make an interesting quirk in a scenario, if a strange bomber suddenly appears and disrupts your formation during a game. Will not even need to do a repaint for this one.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

There is a novel in which Kampfgeschwader 200 uses captured aircraft to attack England.
    Name:  KG200.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  12.6 KB

Hi David, Yes I remember reading it, It's a great fiction novel, I also read the true story behind Kampfgeschwader 200 fascinating stuff.Attachment 161051

Great! Then we have a basis to model our imaginary scenario on to flesh out the story line.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. BoB I./JG 27 - Lehr- & Kampfgeschwader (Marechallannes - Luftwaffe)
    By Marechallannes in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-06-2020, 05:25
  2. Full Size Focke Wolf 190 build
    By prymus in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-12-2015, 17:00
  3. WGSF Kampfgeschwader 53 models
    By calm in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 01:07
  4. WGFS: Wolf, The