Ares Games

Thread: Which came first, The chicken or the UCAV?

Default Which came first, The chicken or the UCAV?

I've just been watching a film "Stealth" Made by Columbia Pictures in 2005, to my surprise the "Movie UCAV" looks very similar to the 2015 "Real thing" Have a look First the fake UCAVAttachment 161012 next the real UCAVAttachment 161014Attachment 161016

I'm wondering does Science Fiction drive Science Fact? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by andron234; 03-26-2015 at 09:32.

Good question. I find these birds look similar however to the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk. According to its Wiki page it was introduced in the 80's. Others may not think it looks similar but that was the one I thought of when I saw those pictures. I think science fiction can lead to science fact if it's handled properly. Robots for instance are becoming increasingly better and it may only be a matter of time before the movie I-Robot is more of a reality. Inventions happen after ideas typically. Manned flight itself is a good example.

Picture number 3 is a fake, too.

(what the hell am I doing in the english subforum... )
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Picture number 3 is a fake, too.

(what the hell am I doing in the english subforum... )
    Ok Sven, go to "You tube" and watch this "Fake video" US Navy - X-47B UCAS First Touch & Go Landing Tests On USS George H.W. Bush, See if you can spot the stings holding the Ucav up Attachment 161015

Yes, Science Fiction does drive Science Fact. H.G. Wells wrote a story called 'The Land Ironclads' introducing a sort of tank, the Star Trek communicators are like mobile phones and diagnostic beds are beginning to be introduced, the U.S. Navy now have laser weapons and a rail gun to name just a few ideas.

Drew, actually photo #3 is a fake although I would not use the word fake but rather a conceptual photography showing an idea.
    In this case a future use on A/Carriers.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_...Triangles.html

Mau

Quote Originally Posted by Mau Fox View Post
    Drew, actually photo #3 is a fake although I would not use the word fake but rather a conceptual photography showing an idea.
    In this case a future use on A/Carriers.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_...Triangles.html

Mau
    Ok have you looked at the video yet, It shows the "conceptual photography" off of the USS George H.W. Bush, More opinions please is it real? I vote yes, But I should point out, last week, Our Wing Co (Rob) had to tell me what a "Biff" was

http://www.youtube/US Navy - X-47B UCAS First Touch & Go Landing Tests On USS George H.W. Bush
    Last edited by andron234; 03-26-2015 at 09:34.

A general shape for stealth aircraft was know (at least in circles that read scientific journals) by the early 80s.
    It isn't surprising that the movie makers (or at least their concept art department) didn't shape the movie UCAV after those shapes.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

A cool video indeed Drew. .
    I guess Sven, just like me, was referring to the actual photo #3 and not if the thing is real or not.
    That is actually a large drone but, although I like new technologies, I guess we will have to wait a few more years to see these things effectively employed in air-to-air combat.
    More, I am poetically attached to those magnificent men IN their flying machines .

Mau

Great film "Those magnificent men in their flying machines" But I'm a George Peppard "Blue Max" man myself, I was the film that gave a 10 year old boy an interest in WW1 warplanesAttachment 161019

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    Great film "Those magnificent men in their flying machines" But I'm a George Peppard "Blue Max" man myself, I was the film that gave a 10 year old boy an interest in WW1 warplanesAttachment 161019
    You need to join Willi Von Klugermann for some 1903
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/mem...Von-Klugermann

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Hey, remember the early flight experimetns with "invisible" aircraft? Excerpt from: http://militaryhistorynow.com/2014/1...lth-warplanes/

"...it was German engineers that set out to build the world’s first invisible warplane. Researchers behind the ambitious plan discarded the canvas skin on experimental Fokker monoplanes, as well as bombers and even Albatross scout planes and replaced the drab painted fabric with a translucent cellon acetate – the same material used in the manufacture of early film. While the wooden airframe would still be visible underneath the coating, it was hoped that light passing though the clear exterior skin would make German aircraft virtually imperceptible from long ranges. Unfortunately for the designers, early tests revealed that the revolutionary see-through material actually made the aircraft more visible – the glossy nature of the sheath reflected sunlight."