Ares Games

Thread: Pound me a Copper B-24J?

Default Pound me a Copper B-24J?

Years ago I shared a bit of my past projects in paper. My dad who worked on the bombers and warbirds of the past used to come home from work and amaze me with paper airplanes cut from used envelopes . . .

They were cut from a single piece and cleverly folded into marvelous toys of joy, some were even coaxed into flight, I learned his skill was honed from cardboard models printed on cereal boxes back in the day . . .

I stressed my memory and recreated one of his masterpieces . . . here is the net reverse engineered:

Lately I was inspired by Ling (Sue) with her beautiful hammered copper jewelry and revisited art school and nostalgia land. I found a roll of copper sheet 32 ga and reduced the net to a nice small size

Stuck the pattern to the copper and spent some time with a tiny pair of tin snips . . .

Then did some folding and hammering . . . a rough diamond emerged

Revealing my pattern needs a bit of adjustment and my snipping skills some work, but I like the result!

2" wingspan! Fun and coolrific!

And now the madness grows, real life paper airplanes folded out of copper sheet! The fun continues . . . .

Did I need a new hobby???????????????????????????????? Thanks Sue!

Very good Dave.
    Looks strangely like Trench Art to me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wow, that's really neat. I had know (in the back-brain at least) of the fold from a single piece art, but to transfer it to copper.....
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Nice work, that's very impressive!

You amaze me with the fantastic work you do on everything you touch.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I echo all of the above! Bob's point is especially noteworthy

All the best,
    Matt

Dave, wow! The clever folding is real engineering. I like it very much and am inspired.

Thumbs up

Just amazing!

What next Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Just amazing!

What next Dave?
    Boy, talk about an open-ended question
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus