Ares Games

Thread: "Room for one up front"

Default "Room for one up front"

I Just found out, about a outlandish configuration for a fighter plane, It's the SPAD A2Attachment 160821Attachment 160822

It's one of the more strange attempts to design an aircraft with forward firing capabilities. The gunner/observer sat in a small cabin that was attached in front of the prop of the engine. There were many problems with this design, ranging from lack of communication between crew members, to a safety issue for the observer.

Attachment 160823Attachment 160824

The first military aircraft produced by SPAD's chief designer, Louis Béchereau, was the SPAD A.1 prototype. Early combat experience had shown it was desirable to have forward-firing machine guns. However, synchronization devices synchronization devices to fire a gun through the propeller were not yet available and several solutions were tested by various manufacturers.

One of the most complex was that adopted by Béchereau on the A.1. In addition to its pilot, the aircraft was designed to carry an observer/gunner placed in a streamlined nacelle in front of the propeller. With this configuration - designed to combine the advantages of the tractor and the pusher types, the observer had a clear field of fire and vision to the front. However, this also seriously limited the pilot's vision, notably during landing, made communication between the pilot and the observer nearly impossible and implied the risk of the observer being hit by the propeller, not to mention being crushed by the motor in even a relatively mild crash or "nose-over". A broadly similar adaptation of the British B.E.2c - the B.E.9 was abandoned for these reasons.
    The nacelle (called a "pulpit") was fitted with a flexible Lewis machine gun on a tubular mount, and incorporated air intakes on its sides to redirect some air towards the 80-hp Le Rhône 9C rotary engine, which was largely screened by the nacelle. It could also be hinged down to give an easier access to the engine or to start it.

Attachment 160825Attachment 160826Attachment 160827Attachment 160828

A wire mesh screen was installed behind the observer, to stop him from hitting the propeller.
    Aside from this unorthodox configuration, the aircraft was of a rather standard wood and fabric construction. The wings had a one-bay design. To prevent the long wires from vibrating excessively in flight, two light vertical struts were added in the middle of the bay to retain and strengthen the wires, giving the aircraft the looks of a two-bay biplane. The fuselage was reportedly strong and "well-designed" So loved was the plane, that many observers stood back (with a tear in their eye?) and watched the planes being exported to Russia.

Attachment 160829

Very cool looking plane. Never saw this one before.

I don't think though that I would relish setting in front of the prop.

Thanks for sharing Drew.

Lightbulb

And you can get one from Shapeways!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andy
    Sorties Flown

Great article!

The RAF modified a BE2c (No. 1700) they called 'The Pulpit'. Officially designated the BE9 there was only one built.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  91.5 KB

Ref. Aeroplanes of the Royal Aircraft Factory - Paul R Hare -pages 32-33

Needles
    Last edited by needles; 03-23-2015 at 07:28.

I knew about the aircraft, but had never actually seen a detailed picture of it.
    Thanks for posting this Drew.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yeh, this was a weird plane, though in the beginning, you could never be sure what would work until you tried it.
    (though common sense might have given you a clue in this case )
    BTW, Drew, you might want to post these types of threads in the WW1 historical discussion forum.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks for the "tip" Re the WW1 historical discussion forum, Karl

Oh sweet cheeses!

Is it just me that flinches looking at that?

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    Oh sweet cheeses!

Is it just me that flinches looking at that?
    No, It's one of many planes that would stay on the ground if it was up to me, Have you seen this little beauty? The Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.9 Attachment 160834

Lots of weird stuff back then; Vickers persisted in pushers long after it was clear that tractors were superior.
    But then, there was a run out of pusher designs just before and during WW2 also, so.....
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. " Mossie" The de Havilland Mosquito "a close up"
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 08:19
  2. National Derby 29th: "Where's my wingman?" "Taking pictures Sir"
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 06:33
  3. National: 4 NUOVE ESPANSIONI "CUSTOM" per "Wing of Glory"
    By mumo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 12:58
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39