Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I Have Fallen......................

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Yay!

NO SAILS!!!!
    Sir thou protesteth thy innocence too loudly.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

NO SAILS!!!
    Although I agree with you and laugh every time I see 'NO SAILS!!!' especially if it's in large capital letters ... I have to admit that I wouldn't mind trying it just once!

I think my 'I am a Stick and Rudder Kid: I don't 'do' I-Pads!' could be the next 'NO SAILS!!!' In response to all this stuff about an electronic version of Wings of Glory. I came to playing Glory from a world of PC gaming all the time and think that the game as we know it beats the living hell / daylights out of much of what I was getting up to before.

I HAVE tried SoG - I've played six games of it.

It was O.K.

It passed the time.

We all contributed plenty of "nautical" banter, and a good number of points of history and of T.V./film references.

Three enjoyable evenings, but the game is not for me:-
    1) It doesn't rank alongside my favourite games in terms of fun
    2) It doesn't "grab" me in the way that WGF does
    3) I have no room to store another swathe of minis
    4) I have no time to spend on painting/embellishing sailing ship models and terrain
    5) I can't afford YET ANOTHER tabletop game period/system

NO SAILS!!!

I have fallen - after nearly two years stalwart resistance, I have finally succumbed to the Dark Side; I maintain that it is all Brambo's fault!
    Attachment 160445
    Drat!
    Attachment 160446Attachment 160447
    and Double Drat!
    Attachment 160448
    and Triple Drat!
    Attachment 160449

help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ​SWEET!!!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I HAVE tried SoG - I've played six games of it.

It was O.K.

It passed the time.

We all contributed plenty of "nautical" banter, and a good number of points of history and of T.V./film references.

Three enjoyable evenings, but the game is not for me:-
    4) I have no time to spend on painting/embellishing sailing ship models and terrain

NO SAILS!!!
    Three Four and Five ... Same in this neck of the woods having invested so heavily in Wings of War Miniatures / Wings of Glory WW2 or WGS. But not to be cynical I'd still like to try SAILS out just once although compared with WGF / WGS I can imagine why it is a very different wargame. It is all to do with speed = distance / time and how a ship of that shape and size is not as fast or manoeuverable as any aircraft. I know the Wife has already said to me that her greatest fear if she ever tries SAILS is that she would get bored too easily and nod off! Whereas she's happy with Wings of Glory where the gameplay is smooth and undisrupted by things like dice-throws etc and nobody is waiting around long for something to happen.

Thank goodness for 1903 and All That ... As if it wasn't for the Wright Brothers influence on the world of flight we would still be charging across the oceans SAILS style and taking weeks to go about it!!!

Barnaby, you have an awesome wife - tell it to her!

NO SAILS!!!
    Well I just returned from a trip to the Local Games Shop.
    Picked up the WWII Rules and Accessories (yes I know I shudda got them from Keith when I bought my planes but didn't realize he had them until too late)
    Tried to pick up another copy of WWI R&AP (which their computer said they had, but we all know computers lie) so I can get more counters and, especially, another Damage Deck "B".
    Saw several copies of Sails of Glory perched at the top of the shelf but st0od fast with my Resolve (and Tim's, apparently)

NO SALE err I mean NO SAILS

Well done that man!

Vive La Grande Alliance!!!!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Well done that man!

Vive La Grande Alliance!!!!
    Another factor IMHO is not spreading oneself too thinly across too many gaming disciplines. Doing this always runs the risk of being able to play several shapes and forms of wargame whilst not allowing oneself time to explore and learn each of them fully. Therefore without practice focus and learning opportunities there is no scope for improvement beyond just being able to play a game.

In economics this is known as Opportunity Cost ... In Wings of Glory this is known as how never to become an Ace. Or at least a formidable opponent with a reputation for being so!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Another factor IMHO is not spreading oneself too thinly across too many gaming disciplines. Doing this always runs the risk of being able to play several shapes and forms of wargame whilst not allowing oneself time to explore and learn each of them fully. Therefore without practice focus and learning opportunities there is no scope for improvement beyond just being able to play a game.

In economics this is known as Opportunity Cost ... In Wings of Glory this is known as how never to become an Ace. Or at least a formidable opponent with a reputation for being so!
    My son used to work in a hobby shop and fell down that rabbithole because of ease of access and getting things (relatively) cheap, so I know the dangers.
    He bough all kinds of stuff that he never did anything with and has since sold most of it off. I never took advantage of the ease of access myself because I had moved away to the USA and away from my gaming buddies.

A friend in Canada showed me his huge collection of WOGF and WOGS about a year and a half ago.
    I had seen them in a local store and wondered what the game was like. He told me it was awesome so I decided to give WWI a shot and used a gift card
    to purchase some starter sets and about a dozen aircraft. Well it didn't take long for me to decide to buy them all, which I proceeded to do over the next few months.
    Just after Christmas I bought the game mats with another gift card. I started playing when I found the solo rules on this site.
    (Actually I had downloaded a lot of stuff when I first found this site last year but hadn't had a chance to look at most of it)
    I firmly intended to stick with WWI until I knew it all inside out - probably a few years at the rate I am going.

I only started getting WOGS recently because I saw Keith had them at a good price and I did not want to miss out on the Dam Buster Lancaster like I (apparently) have missed out on all the BoB planes. They will stay nicely packaged in their boxes until I am ready to give them a go. Things might change if Ares releases some BoB 75th anniversary sets.
    They would be crazy to miss that important milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Thy'd better pull their fingers out! We're a week into July already!

The most discussed date is Q4/2015 if I remember well...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I firmly intended to stick with WWI until I knew it all inside out - probably a few years at the rate I am going.

I only started getting WOGS recently because I saw Keith had them at a good price and I did not want to miss out on the Dam Buster Lancaster like I (apparently) have missed out on all the BoB planes. They will stay nicely packaged in their boxes until I am ready to give them a go. Things might change if Ares releases some BoB 75th anniversary sets.
    This is a fine example IMHO of how to go about mastering a wargame ... Exactly the opposite of what I was frowning upon. Allowing time and patience to learn not only the game but the intricacies too along with the tricks of the trade. Then once confident enough one's own tricks of the trade can be developed and honed ... Turning one into a formidably tactical and unpredictable player.

Collecting instead of missing out on them strikes me as being an integral part of playing Wings of Glory ... There is no harm in preparing in advance to start a WGS interest when it suits. What I will always fail to understand is people who launch into too many different wargames 'guns blazing' spreading themselves out too thinly across them. On many occasions without realising what they are doing to the detriment of their interest too ... Only to complain about how they appear to get beaten all the time as the end result. This is another aspect of how playing Glory makes playing PC games all the time just dull variations on a theme with only one or two innovative exceptions being discovered along the way (PC gaming interest began in 1999 with 'Jane's World War II Fighters' so I have known quite a few games of this genre in my time.)

PC gaming interest began in 1999 with 'Jane's World War II Fighters' so I have known quite a few games of this genre in my time.
    Got a few years on ya there, mate ...

Had a C64 with some fairly good games on it - including Dam Busters. (actually I had Dam Busters on Colecovision before that) when I came across a couple of games in a computer games store - Battlehawks 1942 and Battle of Britain. Looking at the specs I saw they needed a minimum of 384K memory to run! I realized they were never going to make a C64 version of those ...

Got myself a 386 in '91 and never looked back. Got those two games mentioned above, as well as Red Baron, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and many others.
    In the late 90s I upgraded to a Pentium II and got Red Baron 3D which introduced me to online gaming. I also had Jane's WWII but didn't enjoy it as much as the earlier games.

Tried World of Warplanes last year but didn't like it - I felt as though I was on a roller coaster at 6 Flags getting shot at.

Which brought me full circle back to board gaming and Wings of Glory. Much more enjoyable and more my speed, I suppose.

Thumbs up

Although I agree with you and laugh every time I see 'NO SAILS!!!' especially if it's in large capital letters ... I have to admit that I wouldn't mind trying it just once!

I think my 'I am a Stick and Rudder Kid: I don't 'do' I-Pads!' could be the next 'NO SAILS!!!' In response to all this stuff about an electronic version of Wings of Glory. I came to playing Glory from a world of PC gaming all the time and think that the game as we know it beats the living hell / daylights out of much of what I was getting up to before.
    +1

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    +1
    Thank you very much

NO SAILS!!!

To which I am actually going to add ...

NO MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR!!!

Too as over the next two days I will be spending a grand total of 15 hr 20 min Groundschool Tutoring on MSFS9: Only this time all of that is not a PC Game but valid training exercises. It's called Share Flying. Am looking forward to a good game of WW2 / WGS played the traditional way afterwards - either Solitaire or against the Wife.
    Last edited by Tonx; 07-07-2015 at 01:01. Reason: Inclusion of No Sails / No MSFS ...

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Nice picture Chris.
    Should have gone to Sails of Glory.
    Rob.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Where is that torpedobomber when you need it!?

But the picture is nice I'll give you that

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Should have gone to Sails of Glory.
    But it's en-route to Middlesex.... >;)

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Where is that torpedobomber when you need it!?

But the picture is nice I'll give you that
    In WGS series No.6

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    In WGS series No.6
    I'll have two!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

All this talk of WGS Series 6 vs Sails of Glory ... May well make something like this become a gaming reality ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Should Have Gone To Specsavers!.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	170720

LOOP

Name:	Should Have Gone To Specsavers!.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	170720
    Just what the doctor ordered!!

Wooden battleship will be awesome these days. No radar, no electronic-battle, big guns... OK, OK, OK, I must go to a psychiatrist too

Reminds me of one of those time warpo films.
    Or could this account for the Bermuda triangle?
    Rob.

That's it Tim, no prisoners, full broadside.

Nice new avatar too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    That's it Tim, no prisoners, full broadside.

Nice new avatar too.
    I hope the "full broadside" to which you refer is delivered by my WW1 Dreadnoughts (they have NO SAILS, you see!)

I love my new Avatar - courtesy of Mike (OldGuy59)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I hope the "full broadside" to which you refer is delivered by my WW1 Dreadnoughts (they have NO SAILS, you see!)

Tim, liking the new Avatar - that is very smart.

By the way: Dreadnoughts are a great way around having ...

NO SAILS!!!

Involved at any time I cannot agree with you more

So you're waiting for DoGs?
    And I knew Mike could fix you up.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Name:	DSCF0013.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	170727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0017.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	170728

Broadsides!

please notice....................................awwww, you know what I'm going to type next!

Gees, to bad your fleets' been dismasted, and on fire

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Gees, to bad your fleets' been dismasted, and on fire

Karl
    Nah! That was the OTHER fella!

By the way: Dreadnoughts are a great way around having ...

NO SAILS!!!

A _Neptune_class SoL, of which one was... HMS _DREADNOUGHT_. >;)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Reminds me of one of those time warpo films.
    Or could this account for the Bermuda triangle?
    Rob.
    My Carriers at War PC game from 1994 had a "Final Countdown" scenario. Was fun blasting the whole Japanese Pearl Harbor force without taking a single casualty.
    F15s and F16s against 1941 ships. Definitely No Sails - you'd like it, Tim
    (because the other 'real' scenarios could be very frustrating ....

Very nice ships. Pete mentioned a PC game. I remember playing BATTLECRUISER on my Commodore for hours at a time. Wish someone would come out with that game for todays PC's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. AAR SND How the mighty have fallen ;)
    By HTRAINo in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 13:24
  2. Hall of Fallen Airmen
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 03:02
  3. To The Fallen
    By flash in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 11:15
  4. A toast to the fallen