Ares Games

Thread: Turn Sequence - Assistance Required

Default Turn Sequence - Assistance Required

All,
    I'm trying to come up with a Turn Sequence Assistant app. I don't play much WGS, so I need some help sorting out what happens when. The app is intended for assisting with solo play, but I would like it to help with any game.

Could some of the resident afficianados take a look at the following link and post something (laughs, constructive critisizm, suggestions, etc... Even agreement is important, too):

WGS - A companion for the Universal Solo Diceless Chart

Please help.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Well, isn't this distressing.

One would think that the usually helpful and knowledgeable WWII Forum members would have been all over this.

Am I asking the wrong question? Am I asking for something too difficult to answer?

Help?
    Mike

Sorry Mike... time here has been a little limited recently. I'll be taking a look at this asap.

Sorry Mike Hall has been reprogrammed to a new MB and Windows 7 Will cast my eyes on the thread this Week end

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Mike, typically a normal turn in WGS consists of the following phases:

1) Planning phase: Two manoeuvers per player: Players committed to both once planning phase is over.

2) Manoeuvering phase 1: Players play first planned manoeuver.

3) Solutions: Any shots to be taken following MP1? Damage tokens taken if shots fired or exchanged.

4) Manoeuvering phase 2: Players play second planned manoeuver.

5) Solutions: Any shots to be taken following MP2? Damage tokens taken if shots fired or exchanged.

6) Damage totals amended / added to on paper - damage total check before proceeding to the end of the turn / start of next turn.

x) End of turn / start of next turn: Repeat process.

NOTE: Normal turn process becomes distorted when pilots become incapacitated especially those of single engine fighter-type aircraft. In the event of this occurring the player has to plan their next manoeuver immediately as opposed to during the normal planning phase. This restriction emulates a partially incapacitated pilot's lack of agility and forward thinking.

NOTE: The playing of two white (steep) manoeuvers in succession is not allowed or if played classified as an illegal manoeuver. In the event of this the player must take a green (A) Damage Token to emulate structural stress on the airframe. Also blue (long) manoeuvers must be played at the start of the game by all players.

I am currently using a D20 to log which turn WGS has reached during gameplay. I hope this information helps you in some way or is what you are looking for

Only additions are in red:

1) Initial Planning phase: Two manoeuvers per player: (place speed tokens if played) Players committed to both once planning phase is over. Go to 4.

2) Planning Phase: Move maneuver card from slot 2 to slot 1: Choose 1 maneuver card place on position 2. (Place speed tokens if played)

3) Remove 1 fire token if any and take an A damage chit.

4) Manoeuvering phase 1: Players play first planned manoeuver.

5) Firing Phase: Any shots to be taken following MP1? Damage tokens taken if shots fired or exchanged. Reveal Fire or Wound special damage.

6) Remove a smoke token.

7) Move maneuver card from slot 2 to slot 1.

8) Planning Phase: Choose a card to place on slot 2. (place speed token if played)

9) Remove 1 fire token if any and take an A damage chit.

10) Manoeuvering phase 2: Players play second planned manoeuver (now on slot 1).

11) Firing Phase: Any shots to be taken following MP2? Damage tokens taken if shots fired or exchanged. Reveal Fire or Wound special damage.

12) Remove a smoke token.

(13) Damage totals amended / added to on paper - damage total check before proceeding to the end of the turn / start of next turn.)Not really required.

14) End of turn / start of next turn: Repeat process from 2 above..

NOTE: Normal turn process becomes distorted when pilots become incapacitated especially those of single engine fighter-type aircraft. In the event of this occurring the player has to plan their next manoeuver immediately as opposed to during the normal planning phase. This restriction emulates a partially incapacitated pilot's lack of agility and forward thinking.

NOTE: The playing of two white (steep) manoeuvers in succession is not allowed or if played classified as an illegal manoeuver. In the event of this the player must take a green (A) Damage Token to emulate structural stress on the airframe. Also blue (long) manoeuvers must be played at the start of the game by all players.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 04-12-2015 at 06:20.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Only additions are in red:
    Thank you very much for helping me out here. I have a notepad of my own out now having seen your response and am enthusiastically scribbling away.

This is the way to learn the game - well thought out advice which is why I am noting everything down. You have put this far better than the rulebook does!

Just copied what strangely brown (Simon) uses at shows to explain the turn sequence when he runs his Battle of Britain mammoth game.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Thank you very much for helping me out here. I have a notepad of my own out now having seen your response and am enthusiastically scribbling away.

This is the way to learn the game - well thought out advice which is why I am noting everything down. You have put this far better than the rulebook does!

Apologies tidied it up again and added in the speed tokens bit.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Apologies tidied it up again and added in the speed tokens bit.
    Looking again and having another scribble. Can then compare the two side by side. Apologies from me in the initial posting for also leaving speed token information out - anyway we have it now thanks to you

Neil

i see one addition to your layout. During the firing phase, collision damage.

Rich

All,
    Well, things are settling down a bit from the end of semester project rush, but now starting a business is rapidly taking up what time I thought I'd have.

Nonetheless, there is progress on this app. My associate and I sat down to expand her project to the state I want it at. And she wants better quality graphics for the display. To date, the app takes an AI or Human selector (not that it does anything different, yet), a standard or wounded pilot, and the maneuver deck. All maneuvers presented are only those available to that maneuver deck. Maria also did up graphics to present the correct sequences where a series of cards were required.

She didn't understand the orange boxes on the chart, so those were left out, but we will get those into the next version. As we were ironing out what those orange boxes really meant that I noticed the missing asterisks in sectors 12-1. New version of the chart to come, besides the app. The next version of the app will present the sequence of mandatory maneuvers through the correct number of turns without allowing inputs. Also, we sorted out the speed chits for those cards that don't have options (EG: Immelmann turns and the straight leading up to it, fast sideslips, etc...).

I actually tried out the chart on Thursday, and shot down my new Bf-110 (AI) with my Spitfire, but that was only because of lousy damage draws for the "C" chits, and the blind spot on the tail of the Bf-110 (No altitude). Picking out the right cards, choosing the options, re-picking the cards for non-special options, picking the final option, and the speed chit was a bit of a drag. When there was a two card choice, it was hard not to know which cards where which. The app will make all that picking and choosing a simple finger tap. Too easy. We'll be testing the current version on Thursday, to see how it actually plays, before the next group of adjustments.

Sorry for the delay, but stay tuned!
    Mike

OK,
    The app was "finished" for my associate's project, but I didn't think it was ready for prime time. A few images of the work to date can be found on this thread:

Universal Solo Software for all devices - V1.0 out now!
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Game Turn Sequence Reference Card (WWI)
    By Beaunanza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 22:07
  2. The Stall-Turn or Hammerhead Turn Maneuver
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 12:13
  3. Bombing sequence WWI
    By greenbull in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 15:02
  4. Le Prier Rocket sequence