Ares Games

Thread: Mission 10 - Three Bridges to Victory - 19th October 1916. 52Sq. The Bulldogs.

Default Mission 10 - Three Bridges to Victory - 19th October 1916. 52Sq. The Bulldogs.

or a bridge too far.

Jock McKendrick sat back in his chair and let the CO. ramble on about one more push, breakthrough, victory and…………. He had heard it all before. The warm afternoon Sun of late Autumn lulled him into a pleasant sense of tranquility.
    He idly watched a fly settle, and crawl across the map of the Front Lines that the CO was indicating with his cane. The fly moved. The CO. was quicker with his cane. Another red smudge on an already blood soaked front Line.
    "Well McKendrick"…… Jock realized that the CO was addressing him.
    "Yes Sir!"
    "So you think you can handle the three bridges, and the underground Hun supply line?"
    "Yes sir." Jock answered, without knowing exactly what he was letting himself in for.
    "Good man! Take Brownlow and Dawkins in the One and a Half, and Fagin and Sykes in the FE. Hit 'em at dawn tomorrow. Pick up the aerial recon photos of the bust bridges from the Ops. room, and good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images4AC2UDFI.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	159948

So it was that Dawn found Jock, Paddy, and Bill Sykes well over the lines of the stalled British advance looking for three demolished bridges and any signs of the entrance to an underground supply route under the river below them.

Name:	DSC_6463.jpg 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	159949

No Archie was present so at least that was one relief, but finding any signs of a tunnel was like looking for a very small mouse hole in a very large haystack.
    After surveying the three sites McKendrick decided to bomb the lot and be done with it.
    Gesturing to Brownlow to attack the Northerly Bridge site first, he spotted just what he had hoped to avoid. A trio of Albatros Scouts were homing in on his position.

Name:	DSC_6464.jpg 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	159950

They had used cloud cover and the grey light of dawn to get closer to the Spad and FE.
    They now bore in with a relentless sense of forthcoming mayhem for the outnumbered Brits.

Name:	DSC_6465.jpg 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	159951

Name:	DSC_6466.jpg 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	159952

Fortunately for the Strutter they had failed to pick him out in the dawn sky through the thinning clouds.
    At extreme range, both sides opened up a withering fire hoping to make their opponents flinch first.

Name:	DSC_6467.jpg 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	159953

Damage was done on both sides.

Even as they closed Dawkins had let his first bomb go over the Northern most bridge, and was relieved to see a flash of flame and a direct hit.

Name:	DSC_6468.jpg 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	159954

Name:	images36A6SSN1.jpg 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	159981

The FE had also bombed the middle bridge, but in the heat of battle, Fagin
    only managed a partial hit to the river embankment.

Name:	DSC_6470.jpg 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	159955

Name:	article-2397887-1B6084AD000005DC-333_964x696.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	159980

The combat was now intense, and the Germans took a bit of a bashing, suffering from jammed guns, a pilot wounded, and very little to show for it in return fire.

Name:	DSC_6471.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	159956

As the planes swept past each other and Immelmanned, Fagin took a poke at the nearest Albatros DII, but jamming his own Lewis.

Name:	DSC_6472.jpg 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	159957

The Fracas continued, as Sykes made another run at the centre bridge. This time forced to dive away to his right to avoid a collision, the bomb again only scored a partial hit, but in combination with the first attempt it was enough to finish off the remaining piles of the bridge.

Name:	DSC_6473.jpg 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	159958

Name:	DSC_6474.jpg 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	159959

Name:	imagesBPZX7BVP.jpg 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	159982

Having returned from his mission on the Northern Bridge, Brownlow in the Strutter took an optimistic squirt at a DII in front of his machine. He was overjoyed to see its propeller just come apart in the air in front of his nose as the pilot took several rounds through his body.

Name:	DSC_6475.jpg 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	159960

The Albatros winged over and plummeted into the ground with no one at the controls.

Name:	DSC_6477.jpg 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	159962

Meanwhile Mckendrick was in pursuit of another Albatros trying to keep it away from Sykes' FE. which was now somewhat the worse for wear.

Name:	DSC_6476.jpg 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	159961

With all bombs dropped, Brownlow headed for home as Dawkins had a last pot at a departing DII.

Name:	DSC_6479.jpg 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	159963

By a clever bit of flying Sykes turned the tables on the pursuing Albatros, and he and Jock got it bracketed in a hail of bullets.

Name:	DSC_6480.jpg 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	159964

With little room for manoeuvre the DII headed into a cloudbank and thus restricted the accuracy of both British machines final fusillade before they had to reload.

Name:	DSC_6481.jpg 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	159965

Whilst this was taking place Brownlow and Dawkins were well out of trouble and on their way home.

Name:	DSC_6482.jpg 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	159966

At this juncture catastrophe struck the combatants!

Having chased the DII through the cloud bank, Sykes emerged to see that his adversary had Immelmanned and was almost in contact with the FE. Instinct took over and with consummate skill Sykes banked and dived avoiding a collision by inches.
    At the same moment as the DII pilot was distracted by this near miss, Jock found himself in the perfect position to deliver the coup de grace to the unlucky German. One short burst from the Vickers and the hapless German pilot took one through the chest.

Name:	DSC_6483.jpg 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	159967

The front part of his nose exploded, whilst the now lightened fuselage, climbed uncontrollably for a few seconds, then stalled and went into an irretrievable dive.

Unfortunately, Sykes and Fagin were so close to the doomed Albatros, that the explosion caught their FE and tossed it aside like a straw in the wind setting it on fire in the process.

Name:	DSC_6484.jpg 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	159968

The stricken Albatros ploughed into the ground.

Name:	DSC_6485.jpg 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	159969

Recovering from the blast Sykes tried in vain to deflect the flames by throwing the damaged FE all over the sky.

Name:	DSC_6486.jpg 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	159970

This unfortunately left him prey to the remaining Albatros who far from having gone home was lurking in the clouds waiting for an easy kill.

Name:	DSC_6487.jpg 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	159971

His victim now presented itself a sitting duck as the German got on its tail. In spite of his accomplished aerobatics to try and throw him off, Sykes could do little to save himself.

Name:	DSC_6488.jpg 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	159972

Even McKendrick's attempt to insinuate his Spad between to two protagonists failed.

Name:	DSC_6489.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	159973

Eventually succumbing to a combination of bullets and fire damage the FE went down, having first jettisoned its last bomb which took out two cows in a field below.

Name:	DSC_6490.jpg 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	159974

Name:	DSC_6492.jpg 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	159975

With no more to achieve the two remaining aircraft in the sky, broke off the combat,

Name:	DSC_6493.jpg 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	159976

and headed for their home airfields.

Name:	DSC_6496.jpg 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	159977

The Butcher's Bill.

52 Sq. Bulldogs.

2nd Lt. Frank "Jock" Mckendrick. RTB. one kill.
    Lt. William "Bill" Sykes. SD. F. ET.
    Sgt. Patrick "Paddy" Fagin. SD. F. ET.
    2nd Lt. Oliver Brownlow RTB. one Kill.
    Cpl. Jack "Artie" Dawkins. RTB.

Name:	DSC_6497.jpg 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	159978

Kaiser's Eagles.

Two Albatros DIIs shot down.
    One Albatros.RTB.

Name:	DSC_6498.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	159979

Afterword.

As the number of supplies to the German front lines showed no signs of decreasing it was assumed by British Intelligence that the South Bridge was in fact the supply line and therefore that in spite of the heroic efforts of the RFC. the mission had failed.
    Now the D. word is really banned! Two out of three bridges destroyed. How could I be that unlucky with my roll?

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Well I know exactly how you feel Rob.
    I also rolled for a wipe out on the mission.
    Interestingly you used exactly the same aircraft types as I did & "wacked" two German planes as well.
    At least we caused some pain to the jolly old Hun!
    Great action filled AAR & wonderful scenery.

Great opening paragraph, loved the bit about the fly etc. Great intro. Great AAR too. We have a similar piece of action between us but in different AAR's, mine in 9. Half way through writing up 10 as we write.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thanks chaps.
    Only two real bits of bad luck really. One was the wrong bridges, and two was Brownlow legging it after using his bombs, and with no hit points used up. I could have done with his extra fire power, but decided to draw for the AI planes after bombs away to see what they would do. Brownlow came up with go home. A 0 on the A deck.
    I'm glad you liked the fly bit Neil. i think with talking about Hornet's sting yesterday it had put me into that sort of train of thought.
    Rob.

Hard lines Rob, maybe you were given duff gen & hit the wrong target area ?!
    The target was an 'underwater bridge' alongside one of the three destroyed bridges...an underwater bridge is just that, a bridge built underwater ie the deck is just below the surface of the water so as not to be visible from above. I have clarified this in the BRF now. Cunning Hun pioneers, eh ?
    What action getting there though - it's all about the journey and the story so well told
    2nd Lt. Frank "Jock" Mckendrick - MC awarded for his fifth victory Let me know what ace ability he has developed !

Lt. William "Bill" Sykes: SD. FLM. ET: Rolled 10 -2FLM = 8 - Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario; E&E: Rolled 11 -1FLM -1WIA -1BEL = 8 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total skipped 2

Sgt. Patrick "Paddy" Fagin: SD. FLM. ET: Rolled 9 -2FLM = 7- Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario; E&E: Rolled 10 -1FLM -1WIA -1BEL = 7 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total skipped 2

At least some D's were working for you !!

Cheers Dave.
    I will reflect on McKendrick's failure to pay attention to his CO in briefings. It won't happen when I'm CO. his Ace ability may well be Mission checker. Like bullet checker only for mission info. At least Sykes and Fagin got out alive so not a total Poo poo.
    Thanks for doing the rolls.
    Rob.

I was impressed with my D rolling so early in the morning !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I was impressed with my D rolling so early in the morning !
    So was I Dave.
    Very impressed.
    Rob.

Great AAR Rob - and at least your Bulldogs faired better than mine!

Congrats Rob on a great ARR. Commiserations on not getting the bridge but thats the way the croissant crumbles after all.
    Well done to McKendrick on his MC Perhaps making him pay the Mess bill for the next week might sharpen his listening skills.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    2nd Lt. Frank "Jock" Mckendrick - MC awarded for his fifth victory Let me know what ace ability he has developed !
    I think the most appropriate under the circumstances would be Marksman 1 Dave.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Done and done Rob !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave.
    Rob.

Another great battle Rob. If only your pilots had polarized goggles to see through the glare of the water they would have hit the correct bridge! Oops, don't want to give away German secret weapons info. Unfortunately the ones I wore had the lens in reversed.

As I said in your PM Peter.
    It was just a bridge too far, and I should have run with an abridged version of the scenario.
    Rob.

Another masterpiece of descriptive prose Rob, unlucky with the dice there,
    as the saying goes "you was robbed"

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    unlucky with the dice there,
    as the saying goes "you was robbed"
    Oh yes John! I was,I was.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 05:03
  2. AAR OTT Final Months - Mission 12: Curiosity May Kill, 19th October 1918
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 07:21
  3. AAR Mission 12 OTTFM - Curiosity May Kill . 19th October 1918
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 02:34
  4. AAR Mission 10 The Breakthrough. 52Sq. (The Bulldogs).
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 12:17
  5. AAR Mission 3: The Hunter in the Skies. 52Sq.(The Bulldogs)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 10:54