Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Walk Through of Aircraft

JoshuaACNewman

Thank you! This is exactly the information I came here looking for! Now I know why I was having such a hard time when all that was left in the sky was my Spad vs. my opponent's Fokker Tri.

Nope dont agree with a word you said on any plane, what a load of nonsence.......
    Hang on a minute!!! I wonder if thats why I keep getting shot down (sigh)
    To coin a phrase "rats" will go back and re-read the sound advice.
    Cracking tips matey a credit to you

Colmarekblack

The tactics on the SPAD are spot on. I brought this plane on a whim and it's proved to be a very good one, the sheer speed of this fighter has to be seen to be believed! One of my opponents had set me on fire just before I brought him down, I had to get off the table to win the game. Note I was 3/4 up a 4x4 table and I was 1/4 inch away from getting off the board before I exploded. 36 inches in 9 cards! Even my opponent was surprised at how close I came to escaping.

Chris - were you using altitude rules? If so, its even easier to get away in a SPAD by diving. Its also fast enough to sideslip twice and escape the occasional shot.

Let us keep the tactical discussions going!

realy good stuff for us new guys . Looking forward to using info.

Quote Originally Posted by Colmarekblack View Post
    The tactics on the SPAD are spot on. I brought this plane on a whim and it's proved to be a very good one, the sheer speed of this fighter has to be seen to be believed! One of my opponents had set me on fire just before I brought him down, I had to get off the table to win the game. Note I was 3/4 up a 4x4 table and I was 1/4 inch away from getting off the board before I exploded. 36 inches in 9 cards! Even my opponent was surprised at how close I came to escaping.
    But think about the problems you had with the photo recon and missing the target red dot Shaun had set then look at Scott's assessment of the Spad XIII.

Spad XIII -
    Strengths - top speed, health (16 hp)
    Weaknesses - poor maneuverability

You may have noticed at the tourney on Saturday a few of the players were consulting copies of Scott's Tactical Walk Through of Aircraft once they knew what plane they were against or dog fighting in the larger missions.

Cheers, Aled

Colmarekblack

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    But think about the problems you had with the photo recon and missing the target red dot Shaun had set then look at Scott's assessment of the Spad XIII.
    Well it was nothing I couldn't solve with a long run up, instead of the short bursts I was trying before. Luckily I was left on my own for most of the game until the other side realised I was actually taking pictures, and by then I was on my way home.

@rockyr Since the dive is the same speed as the long straight it wasn't worth doing since I only had to escape, sadly the fire got me before I managed it.
    Last edited by Colmarekblack; 01-16-2011 at 18:18.

A dive changes altitude making shots possible only at a half ruler and then that counts as long range. It may not have made a difference in your situation, but it can it you can stay ahead in the altitude changes.

Colmarekblack

Quote Originally Posted by rockyr View Post
    A dive changes altitude making shots possible only at a half ruler and then that counts as long range. It may not have made a difference in your situation, but it can it you can stay ahead in the altitude changes.
    Indeed and if my opponent had been alive I would have used it. But in every mission I had to get off the board that was my standard tactic to get away. Dive to altitude one, then fly like the clappers to my board edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Colmarekblack View Post
    Well it was nothing I couldn't solve with a long run up, instead of the short bursts I was trying before. Luckily I was left on my own for most of the game until the other side realised I was actually taking pictures, and by then I was on my way home.
    Chris, get real your inability to control your plane for the first 53 minutes of the 75 minute mission nearly cost us the game and 20 - 25 points which would have gone to the Central Team. When you managed to get your Spad over the first target you only had 22 minutes and 8 seconds left to complete the mission and as you say you were not being chased by the other team. You only got of the board with less than 20 seconds left on the clock, which was after being told to stop wasting time taking photo's with your mobile phone and get off the board which again could have cost us the game and points.

So Chris, please don't bull me with 'it was nothing I couldn't solve' take my post as it was intended that as an inexperienced WoW player learn what your plane does and what the planes your going to face can do. Because you were lucky that the other players on the table had taken care of most of the Central planes quite quickly on our table or they were busy getting their two planes off the table with their 5 photo's, rather than our 2 planes 6 photo's. So it was quite close and the mission outcome effected the point score of all the flyers on the table.

Scott's Tactical Walk Through of Aircraft is a fantastic guide for new players who need to learn what the planes can do and a highly valued resource for seasoned flyers who use it as an reminder.

Cheers Aled
    Last edited by Pope; 01-17-2011 at 00:11.

Colmarekblack

Aled, I made a alot of mistakes in that mission and if I had looked at my manuever deck more closely at the time I would have realised my plane wasn't suited to the recon. No need to publicly berate me for it.

The point I was trying to make was that I learnt and adapted.

Grow up Chris and if you wish to speak to me about my post feel free to do so in person the next time we are both in Firestorm. I pointed out the problems with the Spad VIII's mauever deck when you said you wanted to be one of the camera planes and that speed had a price and you were confident that you could undertake the required task.

If you consider my post as being a public beratement you've had a very sheltered life and to avoid it in future is simple don't bull or your'll get picked up on it.

It's best if we don't high jack Scott's thread so either start a new thread, pm me or see me at Firestorm.

The moral of the story is use the Tactical Walk Through of Aircraft to help learn how your and the other planes used in WoW perform.

Cheers, Aled

Back to the tactical points:

Faster planes with no 90 degree turns require considerable forethought to occupy a particular space.

Diving is one possible means of escaping pursuit.

SPAD XIII's greatest attribute is speed, followed by durability.

Thank you for your article, Scott. It is very valuable. Thank you too to all the others who added extra tips.

skewiff

Default Bombers?

Ive played a number of games now, and loving it, but when I came up against my first bomber, I came unstuck. That rear fire arc is a pain , especially as the bomber hits the deck immediately so no free shot from under !

We dont have the B damage deck it likely would have been worse! Do we have any good bomber threads or tips for me to play and fight them?

If you don't have a B damage deck, use the A, but divide the damage amounts in half (rounded up). That's is what the game's designer says to do. However, you should have a B deck if you have the bomber cards from FotG.

Quote Originally Posted by skewiff View Post
    Do we have any good bomber threads or tips for me to play and fight them?
    Hi Colin. Although that topic does arise occasionally here on the forums, I'm not sure if there is a specific thread about it. Generally, bombers are either a pain or a bigger pain, depending on their gun configuration. Those with B/B are the easiest to deal with, while those rare few with A/A guns are a royal pain in the butt to bring down.

If dealing with the B/B bomber, you can be a bit more aggressive and attack from any angle. However, you still want to try and approach in the arc gap (that open area between the arc of the front gun and the arc of the rear gun) if possible to potentially land a few hits without taking as many yourself. Keep in mind that even though the B deck contains more zeros, it still has plenty of high damage cards, so don't get too over confident when facing the B gun.

If you go against a A/B firing bomber, focus more on attacking from the bombers 6 so you deal mostly with the B gun. Again, try to use the arc gap area, but lean towards the bombers 6 so you don't get in the arc of the A gun.

Finally, if you go against the A/A firing bomber, you must be patient and avoid the close range fight. I say this because if you get in close and take some severely damaging hits, you may not survive as you attempt to flee since the bomber will still be able to fire on you as you retreat (in most cases). Again (and especially so with the A/A guns), try to approach in the arc gap if possible. If you go with the longer range shot approach, you'll find the arc gap widens as you get further from the bomber, thus giving you more of a safe zone to attack in. This approach is your best choice especially if you've taken moderate damage as you attempt to take out the bomber, and is your best chance of survival with the A/A bombers. It will also give you more options for maneuvering without taking hits.

One more note - the maneuverability of your plane makes a big difference in attacking a bomber. The ability to zoom in on the bombers 6, land a quick hit, and then turn a hard 90 degrees to escape is a huge asset in the fight, as is being able to land a hit and be out of range before the rear gunner can return fire. Planes like the D.VII, Camel, Dr.I (90 degree turns) and Spad XIII (speed) are good examples. But if you have a less maneuverable plane you can still stay out of harms way by landing the long range hit and then executing a quick stall to stay out of gun range before you're next maneuver.

Hope this advice helps out. If you want more advice try posting a new thread in General Discussions and ask the rest of the members how they handle the bombers.

Oh, BTW, I tend to think of the 2 seaters as bombers because that's all we had before FotG. If you're refering to the big boys (Gotha, etc.), then there's only one way to take them out - sheer numbers.

Good luck and fly safe!!
    Scott
    Last edited by Goering Ace; 03-28-2011 at 14:50. Reason: added comment about 2 seaters vs. giants.

Scott,

Pretty good summary...we also called 2 seaters "bombers" before the FotG came out..thanks!

DVII short straight non stall can it be used before or after an Immelmann? I cannot think of a reason or find rule that says I cant.

no, it is not a straight... look at the little arrow in the lower left... or in this case the lack of arrow.

Thanks Scott, excellent article. I thought, but did not check the difference in 90 degree right turns between the DR 1 and the Camel. Also, after your write-up I realized that I may have to fly the D VII more often.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    DVII short straight non stall can it be used before or after an Immelmann? I cannot think of a reason or find rule that says I cant.
    Funny I was just going to ask that. A bunch of new players were asking me and I said no, but will double check online.

Thanks
    Tom

Yeah Scott. Great advice for new pilots there.
    I will print & copy for our Flight Members.
    Again many Thanks, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Funny I was just going to ask that. A bunch of new players were asking me and I said no, but will double check online.

Thanks
    Tom
    The way I see it, if you look at the logistics of the maneuver you'll see that using the short straight would never work. The maneuver itself relies on speed heading into the Immelmann. Without that speed you couldn't perform the reversing maneuver. Also, following the Immelmann, you'd have a good deal of speed built up and thus wouldn't be able to execute the slow speed short straight. So the answer would be no. But as the Colonel pointed out the answer is in the card, as there's no straight designation on the short straight maneuver, thus it can't be used with the Immelmann. I'm sure that was done with the Immelmann in mind.

Scott

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Scott, this information is both excellent and concise. I used it in todays mission and used the three 90 degree turns of my Camel to get the goods on a DrI. In the second mission using my DVII against a Snipe. I was able to burn him using your post! Thank you and I'm copying it for the rest of the flight. Brilliant work! Next rounds on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Thanks Scott, this information is both excellent and concise. I used it in todays mission and used the three 90 degree turns of my Camel to get the goods on a DrI. In the second mission using my DVII against a Snipe. I was able to burn him using your post! Thank you and I'm copying it for the rest of the flight. Brilliant work! Next rounds on me!!
    Awesome, Terry! Glad my thread could help raise your kill count!

Pure Weltklasse

Wonderful info! Just what I was looking for.

Anyone ready to get to work on the WWII version?

Thanks Michael, for digging this article out.

Have to save and translate it for German players.

One rep point for Goering Ace.

Great posting. I'm forward to your future post like this when more planes come available. A match between Albatros D.III vs the Nieuport 17 it is a classic fire power vs better maneuverability.

Thank you for the information. I'm a new player and I really enjoy the minis. This helps decide what planes to put in a fight togehter and which planes to purchase next. Also It helps me with balance issues so I can create my own scenarios. Thank you again!!!

very usefull info,thank you and good job

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

As a relatively new player...I was looking for just a post. Many thanks! I find folks like the writer of this post the reason why this site is most excellent.

Outstanding reference. Thank you!

Fritz1418

Thanx, super informations. I´m back since one year and am happy to find those informations. Great.
    I`ll be back in the air ..with the new miniatures...great!

Users Country Flag

Name
    michael
    Sorties Flown

I agree with everything you wrote. Then I thought I know that already. Then I thought if I know that why do I play so badly. ANSWER I need to see it in black and white to get it into my brain and stop being a target. Thank you.
    Mik the stick

This is just outstanding!

With all the new planes now maybe someone can update it.

Gazerfoxie

Excellent info, really. I've been trying to find just this sort of thing to help determine what combinations of planes would make for fair match-ups for pickup games. Bravo!

Is anyone working on tips for handling newer planes, please?

Now why didn't I read this like years ago (probably as I have only been on the site over a year!). Then skipper (my dastardly son) wouldn't have shot me down so many times I've lost count.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Yep, great resource...worthy of copy and paste.

Enjoyed this article... well written! Cheers! "Das Phantom" aka Wayne

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kev
    Sorties Flown

As the greenest of greenhorns I can see this being super useful, thanks!

When I fly Entente, I specialize in the SPAD VII and XIII. My observations, for what they're worth:

• The larger the table, the more the SPAD XIII (and SE5a) will dominate
    • Conversely, for games on small tables, you're liable to lose by flying off the table as much if not more than getting shot down by the enemy...
    • Two SPADs using good team tactics can cause serious havoc. Google "loose deuce" and "drag and bag"

Hayes

Great info! I am new to the ww1 side of things and this helps. Thank you sir!

I like the laest set of planes that came out several of which i have painted and hope to post online

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Discontinued aircraft
    By check6 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 13:46
  2. Russian Aircraft
    By Doug in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 21:56
  3. New Aircraft
    By leadpusher in forum WGS: General Discussions