Ares Games

Thread: Odd number of players (question)

Default Odd number of players (question)

Hi everyone,

I have played this a little with friends, and mostly been lurking here for a year after my initial introduction post, but finally I have a rules set and four planes on the way. I'm very excited! But I have a question--maybe more of a matter of "just an excuse to start a thread discussion." I was wondering last night, if you end up with an odd number of players (say 3) what is the best way to keep sides kind of balanced?

Would you:

Give two players a plane each to play against one person who controls two planes?
    Give two players earlier, slightly outdated planes to fly against a later model?
    Pit two players in fighters against a larger plane with a tail firing arc?
    Or something else? Maybe base it on a mission with an easier objective for the outnumbered side?

Just wondering. I'm not actually all that concerned about balance because I'm more interested in the "story" aspect of playing, and I figure, with my friends, it would be easy to simply slap a few in-game advantages onto any side just to even the odds, but I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

2 on 1 then swap over next go. After 3 goes everyones been on the receiving end. War is never fair.
    See you on the Dark Side......

LOOP

It depends.... All three options works fine.
    You can download a set solo-rules from this site and let them fly one side. Three against the AI, so to speak.
    Or you can give the soloflying pilot some aceskills.

Use your imagination

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Mark, Hi. Entirely my own opinion however I have so far experienced a WGS game where two older fighters faced a newer one along with another WGS game where it was two-against-two. I'll put 'em in a nutshell for you.

Two-on-Two: Gaming Environment - 4 Official Gaming Mats. Allies - 1 x P-51D Mustang with a Spitfire Mk IX. Axis - 2 x Fw190D. Allies - 2 players. Axis - 1 player. Game began with Axis grouped in top left corner and Allies positioned top right and bottom right corners. Four engagements and eleven turns later the game ended with the Spitfire Mk IX damaged but survived. One Fw190 drew explosion chit during Turn 8. Synopsis: There was more of a story to tell in this scenario because of the game's length and capability match of the four opposing aircraft. Many photo opportunities were available for After Action Report - AAR writing purposes. The game was fun to play and gameplay consistently flowed well. Plenty of tactics were used throughout - in other words this game wasn't a whole load of straight and level flying! Would I recommend this to a friend? YES - especially for the story side / AAR potential this game had.

Old versus New: Gaming Environment - 120 cm x 120 cm. Allies - 2 x Gloster Gladiator. Axis - 1 x Ki-84 Hayate. Allies - 2 players. Axis - 1 player. Game began with Axis at top of mat and Allies positioned bottom left and bottom right corners. Four engagements and seven (I think?) turns later the game ended with the Ki-84 Hayate damaged but survived. Nobody drew explosion chits during game. Synopsis: There was less of a story to tell in this scenario because of the game's length and capability mismatch of the opposing aircraft. Photo opportunities were available for AAR writing purposes though it would have been a brief one! The game didn't shake off the expectation everyone had that the Axis aircraft would win. Whatever they tried due to the firepower of the Ki-84 Hayate the Gladiators were just both hacked to pieces. Would I recommend this to a friend? NO - AAR potential this game had was low and the capability mismatch in this instance was just too great.

However as mentioned these are just IMHO and don't mean to say that early war fighters could bring something more advanced down. During a Solitaire scenario for instance a Gloster Gladiator Mk I brought down a Messerschmitt Bf.110C-7! I think the real answer is that it's up to you to try these odd-number player situations out for yourself and let us know how you get on. Otherwise I hope the above give you some sort of useful information or guidelines.

BTW - Avoid the potential game killers which are the Bristol Beaufighter Mk IVF and Kawasaki Ki-61-I-KIAD Hien in particular. The Hien is the only type of aircraft in WGS that is able to distribute D Damage Chits whilst the Beaufighter (Davoud Edition) just seems to be armed to the teeth! Played them against each other once and the games lasted between three and five Turns only!!!

I think all of your options are good ones. Another option is have it be a free for all. There are plenty of stories of captured planes and friendly fire. British planes used to have union jacks on them which were so often mistaken for crosses that they changed them to roundels. I think there are plenty of scenarios where you could have three planes (or even six) in a big furball. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyBristle View Post
    if you end up with an odd number of players (say 3) what is the best way to keep sides kind of balanced?
    Would you:
    Give two players a plane each to play against one person who controls two planes?
    Give two players earlier, slightly outdated planes to fly against a later model?
    Pit two players in fighters against a larger plane with a tail firing arc?
    Or something else? Maybe base it on a mission with an easier objective for the outnumbered side?
    All of the above - you could also utilize solo rules and all three of you engage an enemy flight or bomber - bragging rights to the one who brings the most down etc !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

looks like you and the others have pretty much covered it. though 2 on 1 2seater usually goes poorly for the 2 seater. 1 on 1 a 2 seater is more than a match for a scout but 2 on 1 allows the attackers to coordinate better. 2 on 1 bomber is closer to the mark. i find our group going the free for all route most often as no one seems to want 2 run more than 1 a/c (myself included). im not a great fan of free for alls but at least its still wings of glory as opposed to something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    2 on 1 then swap over next go. After 3 goes everyones been on the receiving end. War is never fair.
    This works, and multiple games may mitigate the drawing of the odd BOOM card. Unless, of course, you draw one in each of three games in a single night. Like that ever happens...

I think I lasted a grand total of 7 turns across three games. Drew four damage cards, three of which resulted in my immediate demise. Talk about having a "bulls-eye" upon one's back.

All of your stated options are fine - just go with what you feel is right!

If the game works out a little lop-sided, swap around and go again!

Similar Missions

1. Missions with odd number of players
    By Walram in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 08:22
  2. Recruitment: New Players and Old new players
    By flyingryno in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 13:28
  3. Number 500 !
    By Bluedevil in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17