Ares Games

Thread: Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916

Default Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916

The Last Gasp of the Somme, the battle at Flers Courcelette, 15 Sept. 1916

On July 1st 1916 a massive bombardment signalled the beginning of the Battle of the Somme. The planned breakthrough did not happen. After a disastrous 1st day, plans were quickly changed. (60,000 British casualties, 20,000 dead and 40,000 missing and wounded) Numerous smaller attacks followed from July to September, but little ground was gained.

Thinking that a breakthrough was possible before the autumn rains set in General Douglas Haig, Commander of the British Expeditionary Force, ordered an attack using the Entente’s secret weapon, tanks. Only 49 were available. His staff and the French wanted to wait until the spring when hundreds would be available to overwhelm the Germans. Haig’s persistence won out and tanks would be used in the year’s last effort to breakthrough.

The 15th of September began the last phase of the Battle of the Somme.

On the Germans side:
    Early morning, 15 September, 1916. The aerodrome is abuzz. Frantic messages of lumbering giants attacking from the west. All available planes are to take to the air. Other squadrons are assigned to occupy the British flyers, your squadron is to do anything and everything possible to disrupt the attack of the giants. What are they we don’t know but they are pushing back our front line infantry.
    The Germans have a surprise of their own, a new model scout. A twin machine gun Albatros DI.

The Eagles had just received a batch of the new scouts, the Albatros DI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alb 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	159872

Within days of receiving them the Officers of the Eagle Squadron were called to a briefing.

Oberleutnant Biettrutoffen called the men to attention. “Gentlemen I have just received an urgent message from GHQ. I will read it out to you; The Eagle will proceed with all haste and engage enemy ground forces in the area of Flers Courcelette. Information has been received that the British have deployed a moving, metal box that has overrun our forward line of trenches. Your priority is to engage, stop or destroy this new threat and any accompanying infantry support. You must also provide your own top cover as our squadrons are still depleted and overstretched after a prolonged and up to now successful British offensive in the Somme area. There you have it. I don’t know what these metal boxes are but we must stop them. So, Bergebeiter, Maas, Strom, Toffeleiter and Zweibelsuppe you will provide top cover. Fettlemeier, Kneissundupzadaisy, Richter, Berwachter and Myself will attack the ground targets. There will be no questions and yes, before you interrupt Richter, you are flying the Fokker D1. Now let’s go and win the war for the Kaiser, eh.”

With that the pilots hurried out to their respective aircraft. Some 15 minutes later and the squadron was in attack formation, top cover flying high

Name:	alb 3 top cover.jpg 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	159873

and the ground attack, skimming the trees to save time and hopefully catch the British unawares.

Name:	low against the tanks.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	159874

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 001 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	159875

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 002 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	159876

Newly confirmed ace, Captain Roderick Sampson Willoughby-Kyte, who liked to be called Rod, was leading his flight of 3 Nieuport 17’s covering the British breakthrough. He could not believe his eyes as below the new, secret weapon, the tank with supporting infantry, were smashing their way through the German lines and nothing could stop them.

Name:	tank 1.jpg 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	159877

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 004 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	159878

Having spotted the enemy closing in fast he gave the hand signal for his wing-men to follow him. Only to look right and to his dismay young Thomas Keeble had banked right and was streaking off on a solo mission. Thankfully Curphey had stayed with him.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 005 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	159879

There was little room for maneuvering as the formations streaked towards each other.
    Sidweg and Keeble opened the score. Keeble cursing his luck as his lewis jammed.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 010 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	159880

Ludwig meanwhile blasted some infantry that surrounded one of the lumbering metal boxes crossing the gap into the 2nd line trenches,

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 011 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	159881

Rod lined up on the brown Hlb DIII and let rip. He never felt the bullets penetrate his fuel tank as Adolf flying the outdated Fkr DI blasted a huge chunk out of Rod’s N17. Hans and Curphey did not escape, they were too close not to miss the blast and the expanding ball of shrapnel heading their way.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 012 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	159882

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 017 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	159883

Rod lost consciousness as his stricken N17 fuselage, what was left of it, spiralled into the ground from 50 feet.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 018 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	159884

Ludwig had quickly reversed direction and dealt a death blow to a metal box and the infantry cowering for cover behind it. He must have hit something vital because it just lumbered to a stop with smoke pouring out of a myriad of hatches.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 019 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	159885

Keeble and Hans had both reversed and fired blasts into each other. Keeble’s was the telling shot. A bullet slammed into Hans leg and he jerked the joystick as he fired, his bullets went well wide of the intended target. Smoke and flame started to billow out from his engine.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 024 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	159886

Ludwig had been caught reversing his direction by the keen eye of Curphey. Adolf lined himself up for a shot then remembered his guns had jammed!

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 026 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	159887

Ludwigs DI was pouring smoke which was beginning to blind him.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 027 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	159888

Curphey turned the wrong way and ran into Adolf, who had un-jamed his guns and Konrad who had reversed direction.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 028 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	159889

Konrads plane came off nearly as badly as Curphey’s.
    Hans, still on fire, managed to get a shot off at Keeble. Keeble took a bullet into his upper shoulder which put off his aim and he missed Sidweg.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 029 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	159890

Konrad set fire to another metal box as Adolf scored another telling blow on Curphey’s plane.

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 033 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	159891

Name:	OTT 9 and 10 034 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	159892

Butchers Bill:

2Lt Maurice Curphey (red n17): RTB/9 Dam/WIA

2lt Thomas Keeble (yellow N17): RTB/8 Dam/WIA

Capt Kyte: EXP/ET

3 tanks destroyed/4 infantry destroyed.

Hans Kneissundupzadaisy (brown DIII): RTB/2 Dam/WIA

Adolf Richter(Fkr DI): RTB/o Dam/1 kill

Konrad Berwachter (Cam DIII): RTB/6 dam

Sidweg Fettlemeier (Alb DI): 2 Dam/RTB

Ludwig von Bietruttoffen (Alb DI): RTB/4 dam

Apologies but camera went down and I thought I’d taken the last butchers bills pics but alas no.

Summary:
    1. Another cracker to fly.
    2. Never had so many fires, jammed guns or WIA in one game.
    3. Got some bits of the tanks wrong, like using an XD not an XA deck.
    4. Decided to add an English ace to the team as it seems unfair that all I meet is ordinaries. (Didn't last long though).
    5. Random pick of ace skill gave him lucky git 1: no good v the dreaded boom card and what followed. (please rol high for him Dave)
    6. Curphey rolled high on his moral and broke off the fight. Keeble was chased off.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 03-11-2015 at 15:01.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

What a Furball that was Neil.
    Non Stop action from go to woah!
    Hope Kytes second cousin (?) survives.

Amazing flying for those young pilots, only one going down! Good experience under their belts for the future. Looks like some of the tank drivers were either lost or drunk. (or both!)

Another narrow Eagle victory. High command will have to recognize your stopping the last push by those pesky metal British boxes.

Yet another mission full of booms, flames and wounds! Thrilling action there Neil, and another sector in the British breakthrough is stopped - methinks High Command may well abandon this "Tank" idea as ground attack planes are clearly the way to go

That was a brutal encounter - could have been more brutal but for your critical hit deck !
    Capt Rod survives but will be out of action for a while, you're pretty hard on your Bulldogs and I need better throws !!
    After mission 10 AAR I will replen your Bulldog flight - already added a two-seater crew 2Lt William Hamilton & Sgt Earnest Irvine from another flight

Capt Rod Kyte: EXP/ET: Rolled 7 -3EXP +2Ace =6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios: Rolled 6 = skip 3
    E&E: Rolled 7 -1BEL -1WIA = 5 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios: Rolled 5 = skip 2. Total skip 5

2Lt Maurice Curphey: Rolled 4 +3RTB -1 WIA = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios: Rolled 4 = Skip 2

2lt Thomas Keeble: Rolled 9 +3RTB -1 WIA = 11 - All well when you land well !

Ltn Hans Kneissundupzadaisy: Rolled 5 +3RTB -1WIA = 7 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario

20 victories for your Eagles now !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Brilliant action throughout Neil.
    The cards just were not on the side of the tinnies.

Just got a Telegram from Fred Kyte in Blighty.

Chaps. Just got news re Roddy. Survived. Spiffing. Released me from clutches of Quacks yesterday. Convalescing. Back in couple of months. Kyte.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thats All the RFC wounded or shot down in one go Great AAR, how many turns did you play to do so much damage ?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Thats All the RFC wounded or shot down in one go Great AAR, how many turns did you play to do so much damage ?
    Not unusual for Neil .... he currently has nine Bulldog scout pilots against his Eagles - eight of them are now convalescing and I haven't even looked at mission 10 yet !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Believe it or not that was 7.2 turns. Pure murder and mayhem.

The Toon army would be proud of you with a score like that .

I'm sure we've clocked that score up against your boys, some

where.
    The Toon army would be proud of you with a score like that .

In your dreams Neil

Great AAR Neil, what a bun fight or should I say stottie fight!!!!! Love the explosions, really effective.

You're quite right Paul and just to keep it above board here's what I found out from the two sides derby history:

Sunderland 9–1: (A) 5 December 1908
    Newcastle 6–1 (H): 9 October 1920, (A) 26 December 1955

So although you have beaten us 9:1 once we have beaten you 6:1 twice.

In your dreams Neil

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-14-2015, 06:59
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:52
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:46
  4. AAR Early Doors Mission 9--Last Gasp of the Somme--52 Sqd--gully_raker.
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 02:35
  5. BRF Early Doors Mission 9: Last Gasp of the Somme, 15 September, 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-18-2015, 12:00