Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warbirds Over The Beach 2015

Lightbulb Warbirds Over The Beach 2015

I just received an invitation to run some WW2 air games at the Military Aviation Museums, Warbirds Over The Beach 2015. This is a great opportunity and a great location to run games! We introduced gaming at last years WW2 show and ran more at the WW1 show in October.
    The MAM has a great collection of WW2 aircraft and reproduction WW1 aircraft. The air show is the one weekend a year when the planes are in the air. WW2 re-enactors add to a very special weekend.

Mark May 15th 16th and 17th on your calendar!

Rich

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/ww2-airshow.html

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/about.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOB-15-450x150-Banner.jpg   P5170072.jpg   P5170097.jpg  

My word Rich. These annual events seem to come round so quickly these days.
    Another very nice set of pictures there.
    thanks for posting them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob

Thank you. Yes it is almost that time again. I will be doing some 1943 daylight bombing missions this year. A tie in with the hopefully arriving ME-109G6 which is being restored in Germany.

Rich

Rich. I have my room and ordered my tickets. Hope to see the 109/190 and the 262.

Thumbs up

Good luck with the weather & I know the games will go down well!

Jodi and I will be there again this year. She will be reenacting, I'll be geeking out over planes.

Smile

David

The trench coats return! Well see you there!

Rich

Smile

Barry

Never mention the weather! We will have fun!

Rich

Looks like fun.

I know my wife wants to get dressed up in reenactor kit and walk around at this event (just like we did for the WWI show last year), but I don't know if we can fit it into our schedule.

John

Hopefully we will see you!

Rich

Rich you took the words right out of my mouth when I saw what Barry said. Good to see all of you there. Make sure you find us this time John.

Smile

Bob

It will be good to see you all indeed. Right now the game will be on the upper level of the lobby. That may change in time. I am going out there Monday to see the new arrival. A Fiat G59 is my guess?

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fiat2.jpg   Fiat1.jpg  

Lightbulb

Bob

It is a 46B built in 1950. It has a Alfa Romeo made engine, a copy of a Gipsy six. According to the Fighter Factory Facebook page it will not fly in air show. They are busy getting everything ready.

Rich

https://www.facebook.com/FighterFactory

Even though it will fly a good addition to the museum.

Question

How many aircraft in their collection Richard?

Thumbs up

Barry

This a good guess WW2 31 airworthy aircraft and 16 WW1 aircraft. Not counting restoration projects around the world, including four down your way! In the Fighter Factory shop they have three planes not even listed. Visiting aircraft like the a group of T-6 owners come in. I am going out there this morning, they may have a list of visiting aircraft for this year. Here is a link to the official FF web site. It lists the collection. The FB page is more current as to what they are working on.

Rich

http://www.fighterfactory.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1280053.jpg  

I'm curious for the pictures of this year, Rich.

I remember last year, when you posted a picture under a Lancaster's wing due to rainy weather.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Barry

This a good guess WW2 31 airworthy aircraft and 16 WW1 aircraft. Not counting restoration projects around the world, including four down your way! In the Fighter Factory shop they have three planes not even listed. Visiting aircraft like the a group of T-6 owners come in. I am going out there this morning, they may have a list of visiting aircraft for this year. Here is a link to the official FF web site. It lists the collection. The FB page is more current as to what they are working on.

Rich

http://www.fighterfactory.com/
    Thanks for the info Rich!

Thumbs up

I had a good visit to the museum yesterday. They are servicing the the P-40 and the Corsair and working on the new 190. All in perpetration for the airshow. The new arrival the Fiat is still in pieces. Work on the Nieuport 24 is coming along, it should be in the air for the WW1 air show in October.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3150062.jpg   P3150061.jpg   P3150054.jpg   P3150056.jpg   P3150058.jpg  

Thumbs up

Here is something to do at the airshow! Buy a ride in a P-51 or SBD!

Rich

http://www.dixiewing.org/536_Warbird...Beach_2015.htm

Nice!

895 US-Dollar seems to be a good deal for a 20 min. flight in a SBD.

I would raise the SBD ticket price for a feint attack versus one of the big ships in Norfolk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USS_George_Washington.jpg  
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Looks as if you are in for a real good event as usual Rich.
    Thanks for keeping us updated with the progress.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_5018.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	160599

Might this be one of the pictures you were talking about Sven ? That is rich and my wife under the Lancaster.

Name:	DCP_4956.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	160600

Great pic of the Enterprise. Here is one I took while taking the harbor tour. She is being taken apart.

Name:	DCP_4874.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	160601

Sven, Here is a photo of the area where the Enterprise you posted the picture of is heading. Its like a pre decommissioning area before the ship is taken away.

Sven

What and pass up an opportunity attack on the Wisconsin. That ugly grey building on the shore behind the Enterprise is a museum called Nauticus. The Wisconsin is tied up there. You can just make out her stern and upper works.

Rich

http://www.nauticus.org/exhibits/bat...hing-slideshow

Thumbs up

Bob

We were trying to avoid the liquid sunshine as it came down. The bomb bay came in handy! Bob and his wife!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5170162.jpg  

Smile

Rob

Yes it is. The events coordinator of the museum, a big help in getting gaming into events is leaving. I went out and had a short meeting with him. I also introduced the Penguins to the museum. They insisted we skip Jurassic Park? Large predictors even plastic ones were to much foe them!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3160099.jpg   P3160101.jpg   Jurasic-Park-6.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Nice!

895 US-Dollar seems to be a good deal for a 20 min. flight in a SBD.

I would raise the SBD ticket price for a feint attack versus one of the big ships in Norfolk.
    I used to live just half a mile from the scene in this picture. Driving to work one morning, I nearly drove off the road seeing the USS Enterprise sailing downriver (opposite as shown in this picture) after an overhaul at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard (located not in Norfolk, but in Portsmouth, of course). The ship was gigantic and tall? In the picture shown in your post, the tall buildings are obviously higher than the carrier, but from my perspective on the shore, the ship was biggest thing around. It was amazing.

Even though I saw the Enterprise being dismantled is was something to see a carrier with a great name from the Rev war until now.

Thumbs up

Bob

Another one that goes back to the Revolution!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saratoga 44.jpg  

I'm going thanks for the update.

John look forward to seeing you there in a few weeks. Always a good time for the show and seeing friend you have met here.

Bob and John

I am looking forward to seeing you both!

Rich

How is it looking for the Fw 190 ? I also hope the radio problem with the 262 is fixed and we will get to see a flyover by her. Looking forward to the show. Found out that there is a display at Martin Airport by the CAF that same weekend.

Bob

They are swapping the engine out on the 190 as of the Facebook page Thursday. Hopefully that is a good sign, of a problem spotted and repaired. The Have the Spitfires Merlin stripped down also!! Low compression in some of the cylinders. That is a must for the show!
    It never fails to happen two events on one weekend! The P-51 and SBD are from the Dixie Wing CAF.

Rich

Well I also have my tickets for the Reading show in June. This is also a great show with constant action by the planes and reenactors.

Bob

You have a busy plane watching schedule planned!

Rich

Three weeks and counting! I just had an update from the acting museum events coordinator. Everything is good for gaming at WBOTB. 1943 Daylight bombing will be the game theme.

Rich

Thumbs up

Two weeks and counting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5180057.jpg   P5180071.jpg   P5170042.jpg   P5170184.jpg  

Getting close and looking forward to the event and seeing old friends.

Bob

So am i! Looking forward to seeing good friends! One say this week,i will be going out there to see the museums contribution to the DC overflight leave. With luck i will find out about the location of the game table then.

Rich

Smile

Bob

Just back from the museum. The gaming table will be in the same location as last year WW2 air Show. Just inside the door on the ramp side of the lobby! I enjoyed having the gaming there last year. The DC Overflight contingent took off for their trip. The Spitfire looks like a go for the airshow! They have had some problems with it! The 190 engine change is still in progress!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5050072.jpg   P5050075.jpg   P5050053.jpg   P5050004.jpg   P5050034.jpg  

P5060119.jpg   P5060113.jpg  

OH to see the 190 fly. Maybe if not here it might be at the Reading show in June.

Bob

There was a discussion today weather the Spit was going to be ready. According to the FF Facebook page it is running! They spent a week getting the Corsair for today!

Rich

One week and counting!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5050080.jpg  
    Last edited by richard m schwab; 05-08-2015 at 06:48.

OH another shirt to buy. Just what I need LOL. This time next Friday I will have checked in at the hotel and having PHO at a Vietnamese restaurant I saw last year. Saturday breakfast the 7-11 we pass on the way to the show/lunch at the show and either Vietnamese (again) or Denny's (the chicken fried steak was really good). Back in the room with some TV, a few beers and snacks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Warbirds Over The Beach 2014
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 18:52
  2. Warbirds Over The Beach 2013
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 13:47
  3. Warbirds Over The Beach 2013