Ares Games
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warbirds Over The Beach 2015

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'm not sure getting OUT of the Fliegende Panzerfaust would have been all that easy, Rich! I love the drawing-board Luftwaffe planes, and eventually when the Dark Side claims part of my soul, I want to snag a few off of Shapeways...

Karl, I think the flying pic of the Ju makes the aileron on the horizontal stabilizer 'look' like a second tail plane...

Have a great day today at the show.
    All the best,
    Matt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	165075

Got home a few hours ago and downloaded the photos I took. I am still looking at which ones to post but I had to put this one up. The Me 262.

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	165083

Here is the C-46 THE TINKER BELLE taking off with a load of paratroopers.

Name:	IMG_1832.jpg 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	165084

Name:	IMG_1819.jpg 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	165085

One photo of the first jumper out and three of them in the air.

What a superb set of photos chaps.
    Thanks very much for posting them.
    It almost felt as if I was there sharing it with you.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I didn't get to see Dave or Rich before I left so forgive me for that. I did spend some time (maybe 20 minutes) with Rich before I wondered off to see the planes. Did see Dave's wife Jodi---sorry I forgot your name--- with the French resistance folks. Wondered around the dealers and re enactor areas. After that just sat there and watched and took pictures of the planes. I know Dave and Rich will have more to fill in their time at the show.

Name:	IMG_2235.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	165092

Name:	IMG_2237.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	165093

Wish I could have caught the Hurricane closing on the Ju-88 in one frame but missed that. The announcer said this would give you an idea of how easy it was to shoot down a Ju-88.

Great pictures, thanks!

Name:	IMG_2105.jpg 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	165094

Name:	IMG_2116.jpg 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	165095

Name:	IMG_2120.jpg 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	165096

Here is the Skyraider landing, taxing and wings up.

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	165099

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	165100

Here is the P-64. Six were ordered by the Thai AF but the customs agreement was cancelled. Rich told a bit about this plane.

Name:	IMG_2112.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	165105

Avenger/Skyraider/Wildcat and Corsair in the air.

Bob

You win in the photo department. All i have a photo of the ram jet today and of the games!

Rich

Smile

Harry

That is a one way trip in the Fliegende Panzerfaust i am afraid!

Rich

Karl

Harry is correct there is quite a gap between the aileron and the horizontal tail. That photo really accents that!

Rich

You are the director of gaming so someone has to take pictures. Sorry I didn't get to see you before we left but as always a great time and I did get to see you. As a follow up from one post here is an AAR.

Arrived around 1445 at the hotel. Relaxed a few hours then to the Vietnamese restaurant, Saigon #1. Had the PHO and it was really good. Back to the hotel and a beer watching TV.
    Breakfast at the 7-11 on the way to the show. Arrived at the show around 0900. Spent about 20 minutes with Rich than walked around checking the dealers and re enactors. 1100 had a good sausage sandwich. Rest of the day sitting on the flight line watching and taking pictures.

Left about 1530 and back to the hotel again relax a bit. Wife wanted to watch the horse race so I did get to relax for a bit. Saw the rain in MD, where I live. so was glad to have a good day here in VA. After the race back to Saigon #1 and again great food.

Another fantastic time in Va Beach and I thank Rich for turning me on to this great event.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    It is a North American P-64 or P-50 depending who bought it.
    That's what I thought, bur the angle was throwing me for some reason....

Bob

It was good seeing both you and your wife! You picked a great day to be there yesterday. Today was officially 85, it was a scorcher and more like 90+. Did you make it to the German hanger to see the 190`s?
    Today as we were leaving i had packed every up and had my wife wait while i got the car. When i get back she is talking to a woman like she was an old friend. While i packed the car, they say goodbye and my wife gets in the car. She said that is Jerry`s wife and she is very nice! Jerry forgot a bottle of wine and went back for it pick it up. I think Jerry who? Then Jerry walks up and i thank him for a great weekend. He thanks me for coming out and is glad i enjoyed myself. Yes that Jerry, the guy who owns the museum!

Rich

Chris

Most horizontal tails have a much tighter fit. A flying barn is a good analogy!

Rich

WOW WOW WOW I can't say anything more. Since you got to meet him if you do again let him know how great the time is and I am sure all have a great time.

I took some photographs and lots of video. I have to edit the videos together into a summary of the airshow (I'll post a link to it later). Bob's pictures don't lie -- the show was great.

I have decided to use this first photograph as the opening shot of the video. It is epic.

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	165106

Here is the picture of the Po-2. In my mind, the shot looked a lot cooler than the photograph (an example of our memories not operating as video cameras).

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	165107

Here is a shot of the paratroopers loading up into the C-46. I like this picture because nothing modern got into it.

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	165108

There were several planes simply on static display, like this one (an La-9, I think?)

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	165109

Here is a shot of four of the SNJ's flying overhead.

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	165110

Finally, here is my wife's reenactment group. Alas, she refused the pose for a photograph wielding the Sten gun.

Name:	IMG_1504.jpg 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	165111

Smile

Bob

Wow is what i have always said about the MAM, and Jerry is the MAM. You realize he walks around taking pictures just like everyone else!

Rich

Smile

David

Some great photos! It was a great show! I talked to Jonathan this morning before the show.

Rich

Thumbs up

Many thanks to everyone for those great photos.
    It felt just like I was there!

Looks like you all had a great weekend, and great weather.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Dave I knew you would have my back with pictures. Great one of the PBY and the flag. Didn't see the paratroopers getting on the plane so good for you.

Great pictures of the event.

Me262 in the air looks awesome.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Rich I have talked with him before and as you said he is just like all of us there. Walks around and talks to the folks there. Great guy.

That photo of the 262 is the best one and glad I got that one. Was hoping that one of the Fw-190's would fly but maybe next year.

Smile

Bob

The 190 not flying was a disappointment. This is what you missed Sunday! It was almost 90 but that thing really heated up the place. I was 30 feet away and it felt like i was facing a fireplace! You did hear why the Spitfire did not fly i suppose? If not, they had been thinking and working on what they thought was a coolant leak.Last Wednesday they buttoned it up and did some circuits around the field and everything was fine. On the next to last pass they had planned and over the approach to the runway the engine quit. A quick gears down and glide in, it rolled most of the way to the Fighter Factory. They now think there is moister in the fuel tank. Every civilian airplane i have ever seen has a fuel tank drain valve. You check that in your pref light checks, for water and sediment! The Spitfire has no similar system!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5170053.jpg   P5170026.jpg  

More great pics Rich, but what a shame about the Spitfire. I guess Rolls Royce don't think of everything after all then. If you want the rest of that joke ask me in two weeks time when we see you.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Rob

Some how this Spit and any others still flying exceeded their 15 hours of combat life expectancy! I will ask you! A shot of the Flug Werk Fw-190.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5160002.jpg   P5150077.jpg  
    Last edited by richard m schwab; 05-20-2015 at 04:44.

Guess some just got lucky or were extremely good.
    It is incredible how long some lasted over Malta given the odds.
    Rob.

Rob

I think it`s more along the line that a machine taking that kind of abuse does not last long. Between battle damage, airframe stress damage and and accidents they wore out quick. Have you ever seen the photos of rows of 109F`s fuselages in North Africa. The wings failed from metal fatigue and they could not get them as spare parts. Good wings were salvaged along with any good parts and the fuselages lined up!

Rich

In passing and of no particular relevance I just thought this may be of some interest.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...in-lovesey.pdf

Rob.

Great pics Rich. Two weeks until the Reading show. I will have photos from there. One week after that I have another event I will be attending but will keep it quiet for now. Expect some new photos the 14th of June.

Rob

That is very interesting! A great find, choked full of great information!

Rich

I'm looking forward to being their virtually (after the fact) when the pictures are posted of the show, the WOG session, and the members!

(EDIT - I missed page 2 & 3 somehow...dumb me).

So..What great pictures.. Looks amazing.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 05-20-2015 at 14:33.

Smile

I finally downloaded all my photos. A couple game shots! Two young men who had played WW1 before trying a one on one WW2 game Sunday! They were dressed funny!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5170028.jpg   P5170029.jpg  

Smile

Maybe next year for this one!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 190g FF1.jpg   190g FF2.jpg  

Another plane hoping to see fly. At least this year was able to see the Me-262.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    In passing and of no particular relevance I just thought this may be of some interest.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...in-lovesey.pdf

Rob.
    Thanks for posting Rob;
    This whole site is chock full of information, and was very useful for unofficial planes

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Another plane hoping to see fly. At least this year was able to see the Me-262.
    It would be great to see; I'm always tickled when I see a pic of him that I remember the engines are Lear jet engines
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl

Less thrust than the originals but no armament to add weight, it has very simulator performance the original. Plus they last more than five hours! I saw it for just a minute Saturday.

Rich

Bob

Meier Motors is ready for taxing tests on the 109, waiting on the right weather.

Rich

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Warbirds Over The Beach 2014
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 18:52
  2. Warbirds Over The Beach 2013
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 13:47
  3. Warbirds Over The Beach 2013