Ares Games

Thread: Height Marker Posts

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ross
    Sorties Flown

Default Height Marker Posts

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but i was wondering if there was anywere i could buy additional hight posts (the see-through stand thingys) or would i just have to use the ones supplyed with the aircraft?

Cheers

Ross

At this time there are no options to buy these outside of the miniature packs. I've been working on producing some, but have ran into some issue. I still plan to offer them, just not sure when they will be available.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

When I found out they weren't available I emailed fantasy flight who told me to go to the litko site, they arent the same but looking at them I will probably use them alongside the altitude ring that comes with Col Hajj's flight stands

My dials and the Litko pegs will not work together... their pegs are much skinnier.

I have read several articles/forums about height posts.
    While they make for a great visual effect, there are more down sides than up.
    Downs;
    More little pieces to lose.
    More little pieces to break.
    Constant use will wear out the pegs and holes.
    At high altitudes planes become unstable (top heavy).
    In multi-plane scenarios, the tall stack of pegs can get in the way of moving other planes.
    Constant inserting and removing pegs slows the game down and the possibility of knocking over other planes while doing it.
    Ups;
    Did I mention they make for a great visual effect?

I saw that one individual used brass tubing cut to needed lengths and a piece bent for climbing and diving. Still had lots of peices.

I feel the fewer parts you have to insert/remove the better.

Aerodrome Accessories Flight Stands and the Deluxe Flight Stand, Double Riser from www.litkoaero.com each have their good and bad points. I like them both for different reasons. A mix of designs would be perfect. Say dials for altitude and speed and slots for damage fuel, ammo, etc.

Oh and magnet gimbaled mounts are a must, no matter if you use height posts or not.

Just my two cents worth, from 50 years of modeling and playing various types of board games.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ross
    Sorties Flown

Default Hmmmm

Thanks guys! Yeah i see what your saying about the down sides and i hadnt thought about most of them . I thought it would be cool for the planes to be able to reach their ceiling hieght in the rules because, although simple and easy, only getting to level 3 hight seems quite restricted. Some form of extendable rod would be ideal, marked with WoW altitude levels. Any thoughts on this?

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoc87 View Post
    Some form of extendable rod would be ideal, marked with WoW altitude levels. Any thoughts on this?

Ross
    Not long ago someone posted a report on a convention even they helped run. One of the participants had some sort of 'telescoping' stand, looked something like the collapsible antennae on a portable radio. Perhaps that's what you're looking for, looked pretty handy to me.

I'd tried using extra pegs a while back (I've enough models to donate plenty of pegs to ones in play), but abandoned the idea due to several of the issues Peter already mentioned above. Besides that, all the planes ended up at much the same level anyway unless they were avoiding combat.

There's actually an optional rule ("Flying Higher") which allows you to use the full height range from ground to ceiling, although all planes still have to stay within the 4-peg band (e.g. 8-11 rather than 0-3). Models which go outside of this band count as having left the table. You could always start all planes at a high level too (since you're more likely to change height down than up over the course of the game).

Basically, at the start of each turn any player can say that they want to change the first peg to count as height 1 or 2 or whatever, as long as this wouldn't put any of the models outside the 4-peg band. All players have to agree to the change.

If you'd prefer to not have the 4-peg restriction, the Aerodrome Accessories stands with the dials are a good option. You could always have the pegs represent bands of 4 height levels or whatever if you wanted a more obvious visual representation of height.
    Last edited by IRM; 09-21-2010 at 16:07.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ross
    Sorties Flown

Yeah Does sound like alot more hastle than its worth. Anyway thanks for the help, just thought id run it by all you guys for some professional advice

Cheers

Ross

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    My dials and the Litko pegs will not work together... their pegs are much skinnier.
    Hmm better get the mechanics to figure out another solution

Now, as suggested, if you were to use the alternate rules AND a telescoping rod (with 3 or 4 sections) and the Col.'s bases and gimbaled mounts, maybe you could get the feel of high and low altitudes without the mess.
    If marked with 3 or 4 altitude ticks then you are ready to go and if needed you can lower a plane that is in the way without any trouble or having to move it. Then raise it back afterwards.

Wallet, Keys, (Oh, yea Pants). Look out Radio Shack, here I come.

I'll let you know how this works out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lorenzo
    Sorties Flown

I'm working on homemade fly peg, olso because I need them for my 1/72 carzy project..
    I think I found a nice cost\benefit solution. I just need to take some picture and post it..
    Stay tuned

PAV

Have a nice fly

We find that the altitude pegs work ok up to about 8 pegs then start becoming topheavy. Anything above 10 or 12 becomes ridiculous. We're going to try Dave's altitude rules (or something very similar) this weekend so we'll probably start out at 8 or 10 pegs for the attacking planes. I expect after combat begins everyone will be at 3 or 4 pegs.

Pooh